Author Topic: Mustachian looking for friends  (Read 4574 times)

Areyoumymother

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mustachian looking for friends
« on: November 25, 2013, 06:28:07 PM »
I made the leap into Mustachianhood about a year and a half ago, ditched the Porsche, and went from a negative net worth to six figures in net worth.
During this time, I worked two jobs in pretty isolating fields and have pretty much lost all contact with the very few friends that I have. Most of my friends have since moved elsewhere or started families. I'm a 25 year old male living in Orange County, CA and just wondering if ya'll could shoot me some advice in restarting a social circle.

Thanks a bunch :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian looking for friends
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 06:34:51 PM »
Have you organised a meetup with your local Mustachians? They're more likely to have similar goals / lifestyles than people you meet elsewhere. Though other friends are great too of course :-)

_JT

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 07:41:23 PM »
I lived in LA for three years not that long ago, and I have to say it's one of the easier places to establish a social circle, just due to the population density.

What are you into? I suggest you find groups (check meetup) around the things you're into, and start participating in them. Beyond that, join an intramural league, start volunteering, and check the community section of craigslist.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 07:55:56 PM »
1. do the things you like to do.
2. when you run into other people doing the things you like to do, invite them to do those things with you some other time.

I've moved and made friends 5 times now, and this has worked every time. Takes me about 3 months to get to a point where I regularly have things going on with other people.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 08:06:12 PM »
You could check out Meetup.com and see what interests you.  That way you don't have to organize anything and can just show up when you feel like it.

Bruised_Pepper

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 08:08:48 PM »
During this time, I worked two jobs in pretty isolating fields and have pretty much lost all contact with the very few friends that I have. Most of my friends have since moved elsewhere or started families. I'm a 25 year old male living in Orange County, CA and just wondering if ya'll could shoot me some advice in restarting a social circle.

I'm your age and just moved to Pasadena.  It's pretty far away considering I gave up my truck and you're probably not trying to drive all over Southern California, but if you're ever coming to Northern LA, you can look me up. 

1. do the things you like to do.
2. when you run into other people doing the things you like to do, invite them to do those things with you some other time.

What would you recommend for someone who has isolating hobbies, e.g. reading/writing?

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 08:19:36 PM »
What would you recommend for someone who has isolating hobbies, e.g. reading/writing?

Even if something is an isolated hobby, I think there are usually enough related activities for someone to get by.

For reading/writing:

book clubs
go to the library a lot and eventually you'll know the regulars
write in a social setting (coffee shop, park, ...)
writing club (never actually heard of one but seems like a thing that would exist)
volunteer to support literary things
poetry slams
there's probably some social aspect to NaNoWriMo if you look for it
take classes (creative writing, literary analysis, journalism, ...)
teach classes
and many more!

You probably won't find many places to just read or write silently in a circle of people, but there are plenty of options to talk about or do things with the reading/writing you do on your own time.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:23:17 PM by Russ »

_JT

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 08:29:20 PM »
People who like reading and writing often also like gaming. Gaming groups are everywhere.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 11:22:18 PM »

Still meetup.com (as folks here have wisely suggested).

Besides the ones mentioned already (e.g., reading clubs), there are meetups where people chat for 15 minutes then drop into silence, each to write for two hours on paper or on their laptops (because some of us won't do our writing until someone sits beside us to do likewise). Meetups to share ideas on how to launch our writing into the world, self-publish, etc. There are meetups in which people read their writing -or writing of a favourite author- to each other. There are meetups where we just go around the circle saying what was awesome this week. Meetups just for sharing random, bizarre thoughts over coffee. Meetups for sharing about specific topics. Meetups for walking silently near each other. Etc.

Man, I love meetup...

lqvolleyball

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 12:47:44 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. I'm also going to try striking conversations here and there while at the gym and running errands, in addition to meetup.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!