Author Topic: Mustachian International Travel Essentials  (Read 13729 times)

SailorGirl

• Stubble
Re: Mustachian International Travel Essentials
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2015, 01:45:57 PM »
I travel for weeks at a time out of a single backpack that fits in an overhead compartment.  A few observations:

Clothes get beat up quickly while traveling (and you'll end up hating them if you're on the road long enough).  I bring something oldish or even get clothes from Goodwill to travel with.  If you've picked up some souvenirs you can always make space in your bag by throwing out some clothes for the trip home.

I save underwear that is ready for the trash and pack that.  Wear one or two more times and then throw it out.  Works great if you have a long travel day and don't want to deal with handwashing.

Handwashing makes clothes crunchy.  I always have one pair of undies that I save for the last day so I can fly home in comfort.

Clothes dry quickly on your body.  Don't bring jeans, but don't waste money on quick-dry stuff either.   

+1 on the towel and flashlight.  Cheap hotels/hostels can have dark stairs.

Always have a credit card - many difficult situations are made easier with the ability to buy something (such as a plane ticket to get away or a visa you didn't know you needed).

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2015, 01:59:54 PM »
For all those that suggest a flashlight...would you deem the light on your phone to be sufficient?

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2015, 07:39:28 AM »
For all those that suggest a flashlight...would you deem the light on your phone to be sufficient?

I'm with you on not needing a flashlight. I've always used my phone for that sort of thing (as long as I've had a phone, of course). I've traveled quite a bit and a flashlight seems like a waste of space for me. But YMMV, of course. 

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2015, 07:42:00 AM »
Airport options - I left in very cold temperatures, but left my winter coat at a storage place at the airport.  When I got back, I got my coat back.  A total of $10 for a week, and no worrying about carrying something bulky.  I found the service online under airport services.

I had no idea this exists. Luggage storage at a train station, yes, but an airport? That's very convenient.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2015, 07:43:48 AM »

Mosquito net.