Author Topic: Mustachian in Toronto for 2 months! No Netflix? Now what?  (Read 3364 times)

gillamnstr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mustachian in Toronto for 2 months! No Netflix? Now what?
« on: June 26, 2015, 07:57:50 AM »
Hello all!

So I'll be working at the Ed Mirvish theater for 2 months this summer and staying in Dufferin Grove.

I have housing figured out and I have my bike. Any recommendations for groceries or cheap eats?

In addition - what do I do for the instant online entertainment I've become so addicted to? What do you guys watch up there?

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Re: Mustachian in Toronto for 2 months! No Netflix? Now what?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 08:35:00 AM »
No Frills or Food Basics, or an ethnic supermarket.

Are you from the US? Getting a Cdn bank account or not? If not get a credit card and debit card that have low or no forex fees. Cap One Quicksilver is a good Visa credit. Alliant Credit Union charge 1% forex for ATM withdrawals I believe, and reimburse ATM fees up to $20 a month.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 08:40:54 AM »
It was a few years ago but when I traveled from the US to the UK my Netflix still worked, I just had access to different stuff. So you might actually be better off than you think.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 09:17:06 AM »
I was in Toronto for work last month and loved it--tons of neighborhoods to explore, and super bike friendly. Also the bakeries in chinatown are ultra cheap so definitely take advantage.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 09:23:56 AM »
Set yourself up with VPN on tunnelr.com for $7/month and you can trick Netflix into thinking you are in the USA.  It's not stealing because you are still paying Netflix and as far as I know it's not illegal.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 09:37:05 AM »
In addition - what do I do for the instant online entertainment I've become so addicted to? What do you guys watch up there?

We have Netflix, too, just Canadian Netflix (less content than US, otherwise the same). Could you sign up $8/mo for the Canadian one, too? Lot's of Canadians sneak into the US version; I limit myself to the Canadian one.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 09:49:10 AM »
No Netflix? It works fine in Canada.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 04:58:51 PM »

We have Netflix, too, just Canadian Netflix (less content than US, otherwise the same). Could you sign up $8/mo for the Canadian one, too? Lot's of Canadians sneak into the US version; I limit myself to the Canadian one.

You don't need to. Your account travels, but VPN aside is subject to showing the content available to the country you're in.

If you visit the US, you keep paying for your Cdn account but get US content while you're there, for example.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 05:13:18 PM »
If you visit the US, you keep paying for your Cdn account but get US content while you're there, for example.

Well, that's fun!! Maybe I'll hop over the border just to watch Wild (Cheryl Strayed). Neighbours are saying they've watched it, but it doesn't appear on mine, so I'm guessing they're sneaking US content. I like the idea of wandering over the border to watch the movie that refuses to come to my area :)

Sunnysof

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 07:27:38 PM »
If you can get set up with a local library card (or borrow a Canadian's) there is a lot available online now, although not as current as Netflix etc.
Also DVDs if you have a player.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!