Author Topic: mustachian house tips  (Read 2745 times)

themagicman

• Bristles
mustachian house tips
« on: June 06, 2015, 07:48:40 AM »
My wife and I are thinking of having a house built on a piece of land that we really like. The location is great! It is half a mile from practically everything we would need. (My work, library, grocery, ect.) I was wondering what would be some good mustachian tips on saving money on building a house and on going cost. I hear a lot about having south facing windows but would this still be good for me in a warmer climate? Also are ranches usually more economical than two stories? Basements? Any tips appreciated!

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
Re: mustachian house tips
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 07:54:39 AM »
May I ask if you found this property in metro Atlanta area? Sounds like an amazing spot!

I can't really answer your questions but I looked at some plots before too and am anxious to see the responses. hope it works out for you, good luck!

themagicman

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 05:39:20 PM »
May I ask if you found this property in metro Atlanta area? Sounds like an amazing spot!

I can't really answer your questions but I looked at some plots before too and am anxious to see the responses. hope it works out for you, good luck!

Yeah, I am on the very north end of metro atlanta. The land is right outside of downtown Canton (Where I work). And It is right next to tons of stores and restaurant a half of mile in the other direction!

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 12:43:22 PM »
I used to have a south facing ranch house in So. California. The key was the roof overhang. Ours was such that in the winter, the sun came in at a low angle in the morning and heated up the room; in the summer, the sun's angle was higher and the overhang kept the sun from heating the room too much.
Ways to save on construction:  keep overall size small, arrange kitchen and bathrooms in such a way that they are oriented around a single plumbing core. Make the most of outdoor living spaces.