Author Topic: Mustachian home security recommendations  (Read 2715 times)

grandep

• Stubble
Mustachian home security recommendations
« on: May 30, 2018, 01:37:01 PM »
I'm getting married soon and so for the first time am thinking seriously about home security. Other posts on this forum have convinced me not to waste money on a security monitoring system but to instead go with more "old-school" measures like good ole fashioned motion sensor lights and cameras. So I am here to seek recommendations! Most cameras I've found looking online are very expensive and ~fancy~. Being Mustachian, I am not afraid of a little DIY or hacking things together to get something inexpensive and effective.

Do you use an IP security camera? If so what do you use? Please share any other Mustachian home security recommendations as well (unfortunately we are unable to get a dog as our lease ha a strict no pets policy).

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Re: Mustachian home security recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 04:00:50 PM »
Are you renting or owning?  Presumably renting, which limits what you can do by a lot.

Think of home security like raccoon-proofing your garbage can.  You can't do it.  But you can make your can a lot harder than your neighbor's can!

Go through and make sure you have LONG screws in the door hinges and strikeplate.  The strikeplate is key, because the normal inch long screws will just go into the frame and shatter the frame if someone puts their foot or shoulder into it.  A 3-4" screw into the actual framing studs makes a huge difference in getting through a door.

You can get smash resistant films for the inside of windows, but they're... probably not cheap.  The clear, UV resistant ones are useful beyond just security, though, if you don't have high efficiency windows.

I'm not really sure what a security camera will do, other than give you a blurry picture of someone the police won't care to waste time going after, though.

brycedoula

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 12:19:14 PM »
If you are renting (particularly renting a house) I'd strongly suggest getting the locks re-keyed/re-tumbled. Check with the building superintendent/leasing company/landlord first, but who knows how many copies of keys to your locks may be floating around. If possible install a high-quality privacy chain (like the kind they have in hotel rooms).

You can get various timers for indoor house lighting; may be helpful if you & your future spouse are away from your home at random times.

If the USPS has a mail-forwarding service consider signing up. For a small fee Canada post will automatically re-direct mail for a 6- or 12-month period if you move.

If you're in a house & responsible for the outdoor upkeep, keep bushes under windows & around doors well-trimmed. Ask if you can plant particularly spiky plants underneath windows.

red_pill

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 12:42:12 PM »
I recommend cutting dowling and laying it in the track of your windows.  Also, I installed deadbolts (I used the Door Guardian) in my basement, back, and garage door - essentially where someone would be out of sight forcing their way in as the break and enters in my area were dudes just shouldering their way through a back door.  If you reinforce your strike plate as was suggested, then you may also want to get a sleeve that goes around the doorknob - which would be the next weak point.

I investigated the security film and it’s not that bad. You can buy it yourself for pretty cheap and install it yourself, but I was worried I would somehow do it wrong and it would crack my glass.  Getting it installed wasn’t too expensive I just didn’t get it done yet and they would warranty it against broken glass.

Oh, and don’t forget about smoke and CArbon monoxide detectors. I lump those in with security.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 07:03:02 AM »
Not having stuff you care about being stolen, or are easily replaced, are also good thoughts. Most crimes are looking for electronics and jewelry, but mainly electronics. If you have anything fancy, don’t have it on display right in a window where the whole world can see it.

After having our house robbed nearly a decade ago, we made a few changes but mainly just stopped wanting fancy things that others would steal from us.

A small safe for the truly irreplaceable things isn’t too expensive.

But a lot of this is how far are you willing to go? Like @Syonyk said, a theft proof house is impossible.

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 11:47:12 AM »
As well as all of the above... I have a beware of dog sign in the window . A small plastic dog house visible from the rd and a very large water bowl. The cat does not mind.