Author Topic: Mustachian gifts for adult family members?  (Read 3313 times)

KathrinS

• Bristles
    • A Chat with Kat
Mustachian gifts for adult family members?
« on: July 18, 2019, 03:06:50 PM »
I have a week left before I go back to visit my family and would love to come up with some creative gifts to bring home.

My mother will be turning 60, so I'm looking for gift ideas for her especially. She's not fussy and would be happy for me to just show up with a pack of her favourite £0.85 mint chocolates, but I'd like to put some thought and effort into something nice. She's a hard one to buy for, since she's quite wealthy and usually buys everything she really needs/ wants herself. This means that she already has enough clothes, beauty products and decorative items. She likes outdoorsy things/ gardening/ reading/ going to the theatre. Any ideas or experience?

Also, I'd like to bring something smaller for other family members: my mother's partner, two elderly grandmothers and my dad in particular.
Are there any gifts that have worked really well? Any you've ever received that you particularly liked?

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian gifts for adult family members?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 03:09:30 PM »
My family is like this too and we tend to give consumable gifts or books.  The consumable gifts include local specialties from where I live and things I've made myself (for example, chocolate truffles, lemon curd, jams and preserves). 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 03:10:20 PM »
Tickets to a concert/event?

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 03:21:04 PM »
Honestly if you don't see her often... spending time together is likely the most wanted and appreciated gift. So for this trip:

A trip to a really nice garden center for some lovely native plants?

Tickets to a theater event?

What about a specialty photo section (mother/daughter) for you, or even include the other relatives? Could make a day of it - everyone gets to go get hair/makeup done and then have family and friend portraits together and then a nice lunch? Could even have her partner there for a few lovely couples photos. There likely are several hair/makeup artists that would be able to book for a few hours on site to do basic light gussying up, and nice photo is always appreciated by those that are far away.

But why not tell her that you'll start visiting her more often as a gift to BOTH of you? If you love her and enjoy spending time with each other that is really the absolutely best thing you could spend money on. Time is finite. Money can't buy more of it, but you can use it to get more time together.

KathrinS

• Bristles
    • A Chat with Kat
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 03:38:29 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions! I agree about consumables. My mom's a teacher and has just received a ton of sweets from her students as end-of-year gifts, but something savoury might work.

Honestly if you don't see her often... spending time together is likely the most wanted and appreciated gift. So for this trip:

A trip to a really nice garden center for some lovely native plants?

Tickets to a theater event?

What about a specialty photo section (mother/daughter) for you, or even include the other relatives? Could make a day of it - everyone gets to go get hair/makeup done and then have family and friend portraits together and then a nice lunch? Could even have her partner there for a few lovely couples photos. There likely are several hair/makeup artists that would be able to book for a few hours on site to do basic light gussying up, and nice photo is always appreciated by those that are far away.

But why not tell her that you'll start visiting her more often as a gift to BOTH of you? If you love her and enjoy spending time with each other that is really the absolutely best thing you could spend money on. Time is finite. Money can't buy more of it, but you can use it to get more time together.

Yes, that's what they say when I ask what gifts they want: 'Just a visit from you.' But it'd still be nice to bring something small.

I think in our home country, a photo day is very uncommon and would be hard to arrange. But we've already got lovely days out planned, both just my mom and me, and also with other family members. Adding another trip to a garden centre would definitely be an idea to consider.

I'll be taking 3 weeks off to visit my family (unpaid since I'm self employed), so I think it's a good start in terms of seeing each other a lot. They do understand and appreciate this, and both of my parents make an effort to visit me regularly, as well.

KathrinS

• Bristles
    • A Chat with Kat
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 03:39:56 PM »
I was also considering giving her 'The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People', but figured it might be a bit heavy, as she's usually quite tired by the time she sits down to read. She usually prefers fiction books.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 04:12:50 PM »

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 04:17:20 PM »

I have a week left before I go back to visit my family and would love to come up with some creative gifts to bring home.

She likes outdoorsy things/ gardening/ reading/ going to the theatre. Any ideas or experience?

How about a beautiful vase?

She can take flowers from her garden and put them in "that vase," the one you gave her.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 01:13:10 AM »
I'm like your mom in the sense that I'm happy with just my favorite consumable. My family and me have made some jokes out of it and now on birthdays/graduations/christmas I get massive amounts of my favorite tea bags, cheese and fruits :p. It's never the 'main' present and usually no more than 5 bucks is spent (except for the fancy cheese) but we always have a really good laugh about it and my family usually packs it up in a way that makes it impossible to guess it's that.

If there's any UK foods they like but hard to get in Switzerland it may be nice to bring some of those for the whole family?

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 02:21:32 AM »
Consumables are always a safe bet. I give wine from my home country or a good scotch if the recipient likes a drop. Local cheeses, fruits, olive oil seem to be appreciated.

As many others have mentioned, more frequent visits would go down well (I hope)!

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 05:16:02 AM »
Honestly, I'm that age, and I REALLY don't want any more trinkets, no matter how thoughtful.

Plan an activity - a movie, a walk, painting a room, a cooking class together. Time is the one thing you can't buy.

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 06:46:58 AM »
What about cooking a meal (or several) for them during your stay? Both my mother and my mother-in-law are absolutely tickled when me or my husband cook for them. Depending on your cooking interests, it can introduce them to new dishes they've never had before, and it allows some really great quality time together. It usually means a lot more to people than paying for a dinner out. And everyone has to eat, right? I think it also scratches that itch of 'yes Mom I really am going to be okay - see I can cook a meal for myself and others, so stop worrying!' without directly addressing it.

If your Mom (or Dad, or Grandmothers) also enjoys cooking, then you can also try new recipes together, and maybe bake some treats for the grandmothers to bring over (idk who's under what roof in your family.) And if YOU don't like to cook, then maybe bring some recipes you'd like help with mastering since I'm pretty sure it's every parent's mission out there to make sure their kid is well fed no matter where they live or how old they are.

I think cooking lessons would be especially meaningful from the grandmothers in your life if they have dishes they grew up eating that they would like to share with you. My grandmother in law was polish and my husband and I asked her to show us her blini recipe and it was a lovely experience for everyone. She was still living independently but couldn't really cook for herself anymore and we couldn't believe that NO ONE else had ever asked her to show them! (Yes, they were delicious, and now we have a family recipe to pass on.)

Just some food for thought (ha!)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 06:52:15 AM »
Some special event/tour at Kew Gardens?  I believe they offer classes -- might be something memorable to do together?  Speaking as a gardener, that would make my heart skip a beat.   

KathrinS

• Bristles
    • A Chat with Kat
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 01:21:40 PM »
Thanks for all the replies!
I bought my mom's favourite mint chocolates today, which are only available in the UK. I think my dad will probably ask for some painkillers, which are about 5x cheaper here than in home country.

Re - cooking: It's funny because my grandmother absolutely can't cook at all. She refuses to even make pasta. Yet, she's 87 and still works pretty much full time in the family business.
I'm good at baking and my mother doesn't enjoy it, so that's something I could do. Grandma also really loves baked goods (since she can't make any herself!)
Other than that, something plant related might be the way to go.
Thanks for all the suggestions and insights, some good ideas so far.

KathrinS

• Bristles
    • A Chat with Kat
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 01:23:00 PM »
Some special event/tour at Kew Gardens?  I believe they offer classes -- might be something memorable to do together?  Speaking as a gardener, that would make my heart skip a beat.

I will be visiting them in my home country this time, but that could be a nice option for when my mother visits next time. Also, I've just joined the RSPB, so I can get into all of their nature reserves for free and sometimes even bring a guest. That would be wonderful for my mom.

januarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 10:49:25 PM »
My sister and I are both "plant ladies", and we have some plant loving friends as well- a couple times in our circle, I've received a gift of a rooted baby cutting from someone else's favorite plant potted in a cute little pot. I love these- it's like a "friendship plant" with the person who gave it to you. My sister lives on the other side of the country, but my cutting from her plant is almost as big as its "parent" now and it gives us something nice to text back and forth about. Just an idea- a little more significance to something that's still a nice gift either way.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 02:29:13 PM »
My sister and I are both "plant ladies", and we have some plant loving friends as well- a couple times in our circle, I've received a gift of a rooted baby cutting from someone else's favorite plant potted in a cute little pot. I love these- it's like a "friendship plant" with the person who gave it to you. My sister lives on the other side of the country, but my cutting from her plant is almost as big as its "parent" now and it gives us something nice to text back and forth about. Just an idea- a little more significance to something that's still a nice gift either way.

My family does this too!  My mom had a plant she got the year I was born.  When I turned 18 and went away to college she gave me a cutting, which I still have 34 years later.  From my cutting, now a big strong plant, I've taken cuttings for both my kids.  I'll give them to them when they leave home. 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2019, 10:11:20 AM »
I would plan a time to go through old photographs together, organize them, and then take them to get them scanned.  Then give every family member a digital copy of all the photographs. 

Or, ask your mom if she can help you learn a favorite recipe that SHE makes and is proud of and bake it together with you filming it.  Spend time and edit it afterwards.

Or, if she has a "signature dish", have her write it down on a pretty recipe card, then have that made into tea towels that you can give to others as their gifts.

Honestly, moms like giving better than receiving, so asking her to help you with these projects will make her feel appreciated and give you the gift of time with her. 

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2019, 10:46:28 AM »
I bought a laminated guide to birds for my dad because he has a bird feeder in his backyard and live in a migratory path. It is a lot of fun for everyone when we see unusual birds in the backyard. I bought a similar laminated guide to local plants for my husband, who likes to hike and enjoys identifying plants on his hikes. We had just moved to a new area so this went over very well because he wasn't as familiar with the local plants. Both of these were quite inexpensive, $15 or less.

slow hand slow plan

• Stubble
  • Living the dream
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2019, 11:30:31 AM »
Some great ideas so far up thread! I agree with the spending time or coming over and cooking a nice meal. We make cordials out of liquor and fruits which are always well received. A nice family photo framed has been a fairly cheap meaningful gift also.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2019, 12:10:33 PM »
It sounds like you live far away.  Perhaps a digital photo frame?  There are versions you can update remotely so you can frequently add new photos from across the world. 

KathrinS

• Bristles
    • A Chat with Kat
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2019, 02:19:31 AM »
Thanks for all the great ideas!
My mother's partner came to the rescue and together we've decided to take her on a trip up to the mountains, riding on a scenic train and hiking. Since it's rainy on her birthday, we'll do it over the weekend and take her to a restaurant for a nice meal on her actual birthday.
That, some chocolate and some nice personalised photo postcards will hopefully be appreciated.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2019, 04:23:40 AM »
That sounds really lovely!

My grandma is at an age where she's getting rid of stuff instead of wanting to take on more. For her birthday this year, I offered to bake her favourite cakes. She wasn't feeling well around that time so she didn't have the energy to bake herself and I knew she wouldn't deel happy about serving her guests store bought cakes. She also got to brag about her granddaughter's baking skills to all her guests.

KathrinS

• Bristles
    • A Chat with Kat
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2019, 03:02:26 AM »
That's lovely, Imma! My mom will want to take some birthday cakes to work on Monday, so I'll have some baking to do over the weekend, as well.

The presents and birthday meal were much appreciated yesterday, we had a lovely day.