Author Topic: Mustachian enough?  (Read 4113 times)

gorion83

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mustachian enough?
« on: December 04, 2013, 03:35:08 PM »
Hi everyone.
I'm moving to a new house soon, and I need to buy a washer.

We want a top loader for space and convenience and I narrowed down the choice to a particular brand (Bosch, I'm in Europe) which I can find online at € 530+ €40 shipping.
The washer is the most energy efficient among its peers and the supplier also gives 1 year of extra warranty for free.
It comes with various anti-flooding measures, which are handy.

However I have some doubts with a Whirlpool one which I can find at € 100 less and it is just as energy efficient.
Build quality (at least here in Europe) is comparatively worse than Bosch.

The big doubt is: would a mustachian just buy a used one?
I can find some on ebay at about €150-€200

A local insertion is €199 with the guy shipping it for free, 1 year old.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian enough?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 04:05:27 PM »
You're going to pay someone 199 euros to connect a washing machine?
You can do this yourself!

Also why do you want a top-loader? Front loaders tend to be gentler on your clothes (saves $) and more energy efficient.

That being said I would probably buy new (washers have a lot of moving parts and don't "travel" well.) When I lived in my share house we bought a new to us second hand washer every couple of months until one of the girls mum's took pity on us (or got sick of her daughter coming over with piles of dirty laundry) and got us a new one!

Estimate the lifespan of the two washers (based on on-line reviews) and work out an annual cost - take the cheaper of the two.

Silverwood

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 04:10:46 PM »
I have a really old washer and dryer in my new house. When talking to my mom and all her friends who have new washers they dont like the front loading. The rubber seal  gets really gross and its not very easy to clean. This is just what Ive heard though.

gorion83

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 04:22:13 PM »
You're going to pay someone 199 euros to connect a washing machine?
You can do this yourself!

I probably just badly worded it. It is 199 with a second hand washer (1 year old) + transportation + installation (it's the job of this guy).

Also why do you want a top-loader? Front loaders tend to be gentler on your clothes (saves $) and more energy efficient.

The models I found are just as efficient as front loaders (don't know if in the US you have something similar but in the EU we have the Ecolabel with energy efficiency rated from G to A+++. Both are A+++).
There are some front loaders with A+++-10% but they are usually pretty expensive.

Like Silverwood said front loaders have more problems with the rubber seal as far as I know.

Also it would save space (the bathroom isn't really big) and my gf like it more ;)

Estimate the lifespan of the two washers (based on on-line reviews) and work out an annual cost - take the cheaper of the two.

That's the hard part. ;)
What's the mustachian stance on extended warranties?

I think that they are a waste of money, but I am curious.

Ziggurat

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 07:39:02 PM »

What's the mustachian stance on extended warranties?

I think that they are a waste of money, but I am curious.

My stance:  Extended warranty = insurance.  And like all insurance, you only take it if you cannot afford the loss.  Don't pay an extra, say 15%, when buying something, to be covered for a ~2% chance of needing the coverage (random numbers, but they are probably in the ballpark if you are buying a quality item with a decent initial warranty period).  When the occasional thing does break out of warranty, you just have to shrug it off and remember all the money you have saved previously.  Besides which, with your mustachian skills you will likely be able to fix it yourself for the cost of a couple of parts and the electricity to view a youtube video.

show me the money

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 10:19:30 AM »
I have a really old washer and dryer in my new house. When talking to my mom and all her friends who have new washers they dont like the front loading. The rubber seal  gets really gross and its not very easy to clean. This is just what Ive heard though.

we just leave the door open when not in use, it allows the rubber seal to dry, and not get all nasty and gross. we only close the door when running a load of laundry.

aglassman

• Stubble
    • Milwaukee Maven
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 10:24:51 AM »

we just leave the door open when not in use, it allows the rubber seal to dry, and not get all nasty and gross. we only close the door when running a load of laundry.

This is so true.  Ours is totally nasty.  It didn't help that the previous owner left it in a storage unit for a year without draining it.  It was, and still is, pretty nasty. At least the clothes come out clean.  I'll have to start leaving the door open, maybe that will help.