Author Topic: Mustachian Curls  (Read 3544 times)

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
Mustachian Curls
« on: July 08, 2018, 11:08:54 AM »
Calling all curly headed folks!

I am a frizz bomb living in a permanently humid climate. I've been ping-ponging between two extremes: flattening my hair chemically and with heat, and letting it frizz out wildly. Recently it was brought to my attention that these are not the only two options.

Apparently there are actually products and care regimens specifically for curly hair. I'm educating myself on this and am about to make a big Amazon purchase. However, I want to try to not only work with my natural texture, but also to do so in an optimized, economical way.

Which products have you curlies found indispensable? Which were just hype? How do you keep your curly hair looking curly instead of frizzy? Have you managed to banish the Chi from your life? Pls help!

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Re: Mustachian Curls
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 06:03:10 PM »
How curly are we talking? I find that technique is more important than product. I make my own leave in conditioner that I apply after I wash my hair once a week. I wash using baking soda and apple cider vinegar. Once you know your hair type (mine is 3b) you can search for information specific to your hair type.

frugalville

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 09:23:02 PM »
Long time reader... first time poster. I too used to chemically straighten my curls. Quit after reading the Curly Girl book. Found a hairdresser who knows how to cut curls dry, and started using diva products. I use the conditioner and gel. That’s it... no other hair products and only three dry cuts/year. Keeps costs down and now that I’m happy with my hair I find that I spend far less money and time dealing with it.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 11:39:08 PM »
I'm on a curly research dive, so just finished the curly girl book. I figure I have a 2b/2c situation in a humid climate. Looks like I should probably throw out my industrial sized bottle of Pantene conditioner, not to mention the Pantene shampoo. I found a deva curl trained hair stylist on Oahu, so I think I'll give her a call.

Nothing but baking soda for my hair freaks me out. Also unsure about gel, which the curly girl book seems to think is 100% necessary. I have bad memories of a gel locked high school and college experience.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 12:23:35 AM »
I read the Curly Girl book after hearing so many recommendations for it from so many people. Hated it. Both the tone (ok, especially the tone, way too much "you go girl" type thing for me) and, to be honest, the advice. Because it all still involved using a fairly significant amount of products and at the time, I had actually gotten in as part of an attempt to try and cut out using products. Also, apparently I don't really have curly hair (there's a description of how to find out how to tell what type of curls you have and I think I only made it into the first or second level) and, I don't like not brushing my hair thoroughly at least once a day and sometimes twice.

Anyway, I usually feel like I'm the only person who didn't love that book, and even though I don't like it, I'd still recommend reading it. Personally, my frizz definitely went more in the direction of curls when I stopped using shampoo and conditioner and that has been good enough for me.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 01:56:32 PM »
I have curly hair. Oh, lord, do I have curly hair. Per the guide, it's 3b, but ranges any where from 'well behaved' to 'fuckyouhair dieinafire.'

I've had great luck with the Deva cut process. It's expensive, and to me 100% worth the price of admission. I like looking good in my hair, instead of just kind of enduring my hair. I buy the Deva brand gel, but don't bother with any other Deva brand products. I also found my chosen stylist is very willing to teach me her techniques for getting my curl to set nicely. And once the curl is set the same for a few weeks in a row, it's much better at remaining trained, which cuts down on the need for other product.

I found a few elements in the Curly Girl book helpful. The advice to drying was a win. The advice on plopping was a failure. I do not plop.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 11:20:25 AM »
Another vote for Deva products. I use their Supercream and love it. I have tried their shampoo and conditioner and don't really like them. The no-poo thing left my roots feeling so greasy. I used their Supercream all last week while visiting family in the South and had no issues with frizz. I let my mom use it, too and it really helped her frizz.

My biggest tip would be application. If you don't already know this, always start applying the product to the ends of your hair first and work your way up.

The other thing I do that helps with frizz is deep condition once a week. I have used several different deep conditioners and had equal success with them, both drugstore and salon brands.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 11:54:16 AM »
I have type 2a hair in the front and type 2b in the back.  The very back of my hair has pretty tight waves that are difficult to work with.  Over the past few years, my hair texture has become noticeably nicer and I attribute it to two things:

1.  Kirkland hair conditioner.  It's kind of heavy so it weighs down the hair enough while still washing out nicely and leaving me with nicer manageable hair.
2.  DC Water.  I think the water is softer here than anywhere else I've lived.   When I go on vacation, my hair becomes out of control and the only thing I can think of is the water. 

Once a year, I use an ethnic-style relaxer (I'm white, so I get a lot of looks when I buy it), but it relaxes the back part of my hair enough so it doesn't frizz out during the humid summer. I only relax the back sections, and it seems to work fine.  ($10 a year)

Also, growing my hair longer helps too.  the hair is heavier so not as curly. 

TrMama

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 12:23:30 PM »
Mine varies between 2b and 3b, depending on humidity. Unless I go somewhere very dry, and then it's straight. Since I live in a humid climate I have it cut in deep layers and thinned slightly to emphasize the curl. If I go somewhere really dry, it looks so awful I just wear a hat ;-)

I haven't found the expensive hair products to be necessary. Yes, they work better, but I can get 90% of the way there with cheap drugstore stuff (Pantene 2 in 1 shampoo and Mane and Tail leave in conditioner) as long as I follow some basic rules.

1. Get a good haircut. For me, this mean chin length with layers to remove some of the volume. Stick with a good hairdresser. My current hairdresser is on mat leave for a year. <cry>

2. I don't own a hairdryer. I don't understand the point of these gizmos. Air dry only. Curly hair gets frizzy from being too dry.

3. I don't own a hairbrush and never brush it. Leave in conditioner keeps it from getting tangled.

4. When you get out of the shower, don't rub your hair with the towel. Just blot it gently.

5. When you put in the leave in conditioner, scrunch the curls up. You may need a video for this. It's not hard.

6. Our water is really soft. I think this helps. Sometimes when I go somewhere with different water it does weird things to my hair. YMMV.

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 07:17:45 PM »
Ooo, I have curly hair. The single most useful, not overwhelming, and incredibly affordable resource came from another curly friend: Reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/curlyhair/

Follow what's there, and you'll find very inexpensive, curl-friendly product to get started with. It's the minimum you need to know and very clear.

I have personally found that technique matters more than pricey product. Squish to condish was a game changer (nothing improved until then), and plopping. I sleep in a pineapple and almost never use a diffuser.

Good luck!

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 12:12:18 PM »
Curly Haired Redhead here!
I recently went from life-long straightening (I used to use an actual iron in the 90's when it was really long, ha).  Both heat straightening and chemical relaxers, etc.
About 6 months ago I decided I was DONE taking all of that time, money, and effort to fight the way that I look (I still dye my hair, but that's more for FUN, less because I feel like I HAVE TO, if that makes sense). 
Many deep conditions later, my hair is curly again like it was when I was a toddler, and it's healing (although the top layer is still heavy and fried, but healing). 
I have just used dollar tree deep conditioning packs about once a week, rubbed oil into it when needed, and bought a few reasonably priced curl products.  I have been sent this link several times to do an at home Deva Curl TYPE cut and I'm going to try it out this weekend!
My curls are very similar to the girl in the video, perhaps my curls are a little tighter and more redheaded - but I think her tutorial will work for me... and since several of my curly haired friends have sent me the link, I trust it enough to give it a shot.

https://youtu.be/Iwf0NejSuPY

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 12:44:45 PM »
Not a girl, but sometimes let out the flow.  Stop using shampoo and conditioners.  You can look up no-poo methods for cleaning your hair or just be like lots of people and just rinse with water.

Your natural oils will reduce frizz and make your hair easier to maintain.  If your hair is really long you will need to brush it regularly.

Edit to add: Bonus is this method is free
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 12:47:35 PM by Cromacster »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 02:57:57 PM »
Curl denier here. I keep my hair long and don't wash it often (twice per week tops) to weigh it into submission, comb it, it frizzes anyway, then I braid it ;) It's a battle, lol. ANYWAY. A few times a year I decide to embrace my curl before giving up. I'd like to try again, if I can get an action plan to avoid my common failures.

1- How do you get your hair out of your face without it getting all fuzzy and terrible?
2- How do you cope with sweat?
3- How often do you have to get your hair cut?
4- If you're sleeping with mousse or gel in your hair, does your skin not get mad?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 05:43:17 PM »
Curl denier here. I keep my hair long and don't wash it often (twice per week tops) to weigh it into submission, comb it, it frizzes anyway, then I braid it ;) It's a battle, lol. ANYWAY. A few times a year I decide to embrace my curl before giving up. I'd like to try again, if I can get an action plan to avoid my common failures.

1- How do you get your hair out of your face without it getting all fuzzy and terrible?
4- If you're sleeping with mousse or gel in your hair, does your skin not get mad?

My hair is in a layered bob. Since I live in a hot, humid and sunny place, when I am outdoors I keep it off my face with a sports visor. I golf a lot and get sweaty. When I finish golfing, I take off the visor, dampen my hair and set it back in place. That cools me off and takes care of the sweat. I get my hair cut and colored every 8 weeks. I don’t use a lot of gel (less than one tablespoon), so it does not seem to affect my skin at all. I spend much less time on my hair than most women (or men for that matter), excepting people like my stepdaughters, who have stick-straight hair and need to do absolutely nothing to it.

PepperPeter

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 03:09:34 PM »

My hair is big loose curls but still very prone to frizz.  I wash it about 2 times a week like you.

1. Top knot.  I use the enormous claw clips and just twist it up in a bun and clip it.  It doesn't get weird bumps.

2. This is my weakness as well, but I just take it down when I'm sweaty and let it air dry again.  I do a light root fluffing.  I try to save the sweating until days 3-4 of my wash cycle.

3. Probably 4 times a year?  I need my hair thinned out regularly.

4. My scalp gets irritated with the amount of dry shampoo I use after 4-5 days.  But I've never had any issue with gel/mousse.

I used to put so much crap in my hair and tried to tame it into submission all the time, and I finally gave up and embraced it.  I wash my hair at night (around 6-7pm), which gives it a few hours to air dry 50%.  Before bed I use a bit of argan oil and just run it through my hair and sleep on it damp.  I use dry shampoo everyday.  And I bought one of those brushes that doesn't have the little "balls" at the end of the bristles and that helped control frizz as I brush my roots every morning.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 03:13:37 PM »

My hair is big loose curls but still very prone to frizz.  I wash it about 2 times a week like you.

1. Top knot.  I use the enormous claw clips and just twist it up in a bun and clip it.  It doesn't get weird bumps.

2. This is my weakness as well, but I just take it down when I'm sweaty and let it air dry again.  I do a light root fluffing.  I try to save the sweating until days 3-4 of my wash cycle.

3. Probably 4 times a year?  I need my hair thinned out regularly.

4. My scalp gets irritated with the amount of dry shampoo I use after 4-5 days.  But I've never had any issue with gel/mousse.

I used to put so much crap in my hair and tried to tame it into submission all the time, and I finally gave up and embraced it.  I wash my hair at night (around 6-7pm), which gives it a few hours to air dry 50%.  Before bed I use a bit of argan oil and just run it through my hair and sleep on it damp.  I use dry shampoo everyday.  And I bought one of those brushes that doesn't have the little "balls" at the end of the bristles and that helped control frizz as I brush my roots every morning.

I wonder if I'll need to thin my hair then =\ My I have to wash my hair before 2pm or it won't air dry to even 80% by bed at 10pm. It's not as thick as when I was a kid, but it's definitely thicker than most people I know.

Interesting to hear you do brush the roots!

Thanks for the feedback Pepper and PBK. You guys plus the subreddit that was linked earlier have me thinking I might pursue a cut and try for embracing my curls again. We'll see!

MoneyStacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 08:40:54 AM »
I have curly hair now past my shoulders. I shampoo once a week or less. I condition whenever I get it wet. I don't rinse out the conditioner. Conditioner is Not Your Mothers Coconut Milk and African Marula Tree Oil. This method works for me in any weather. I never comb it outside of the shower and I never ever blow dry it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:08:39 AM by MoneyStacher »