Author Topic: Mustachian couch ideas/tips?  (Read 4993 times)

TXScout2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mustachian couch ideas/tips?
« on: January 02, 2016, 07:17:38 PM »
I am a 34 y/o attorney, the only furniture in my living room is a hand-me-down futon and a folding chair.  I feel like I've been frugal enough long enough that I can upgrade my living room so that's it is a little better for hosting people.  Wondering if anybody has any tips on what couches are good quality, good value, etc.  I am thinking about getting a L-shaped couch.  Thanks in advance. 

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian couch ideas/tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 01:05:12 PM »
What will work depends a lot on your room size and layout.  I've never purchased a new couch, so they seem overpriced to me.  I have always had hand-me-downs from relatives or friends.  About to get a "new" couch since my SIL is getting a new one.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 08:05:13 PM »
IKEA!!!! I love their couches and they are good quality at good prices. Both their fabric (I recommend the woven canvas ones or the tweed-ish looking ones) and leather seem very durable - no rips or worn out areas and I am not easy on my furniture at all.

I currently have this couch: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00306294/#/90288667

And I added these legs to make it look less college-y: https://www.etsy.com/shop/thirteencolonies?ref=l2-shopheader-name

And the couch has been going strong for several years now. I will keep it till it falls apart!

This is actually my favorite ikea couch but I couldn't afford it at the time :( :http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19031884/
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 08:07:23 PM by lbmustache »

TXScout2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 09:33:24 AM »
Thanks for the ideas.  I hadn't gone to IKEA yet, there is one about 30 minutes away though.  That sectional you linked looks good.  I looked around stores near me, seems like $1000 is as cheap as it gets for just a couch.  And the sectionals were more.  I saw one I liked and thought it was $1200, turned out it was $1200 per piece and it had 2 pieces.  Yikes.   Has nobody else in here ever bought a couch?  Do you just assume you'll keep it for a decade so it only amounts to $10 a month or something?  I've been browsing Craigslist too...seen some stuff for $350, but I'll need a truck. 

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 09:38:29 AM »
I'll second craigslist, but make sure that you're comfortable there are not any bedbugs.  Bedbugs is a great way to have to throw out all of the furniture in your house (and also your carpeting, and possibly molding in the corners).  apartmenttherapy.com has a great couch guide on there.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 09:40:57 AM »
I love my Ikea Kivik couch. I have a loveseat and a couch with ottomans to make it L-shaped sorta. I've had it about 5 years and its held  up well. No sinking or warping of the cushions either which amazes me. I love that you can wash the covers. Only problem I've had is the wood across the front has sank on the long couch. It's normally only supposed to be about 1/2" off the ground so I don't really notice. I have not had any issues with the fabric pilling at all which I was afraid of (I have the woven dark grey). Its not really mustachian though as I think they whole set was ~1100. Also, the kivik couches have a pretty wide seat and are very comfortable to sleep on in case you also need space for occasional guests.

Considering how well its held up and the ability to wash the fabric, if I didn't have a cat I would have bought the same couch off craigslist. There is usually a good selection  and they are only 1-2 years old.

FYI You cannot buy the white covers and dye them to save money or get a different color. I definitely tried this the covers were too large to do correctly and get even color in the washing machine!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:51:07 AM by therethere »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 09:44:23 AM »

If you get tired of the couch you can always take it apart and build a sturdy shed out back.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 03:36:59 PM »

If you get tired of the couch you can always take it apart and build a sturdy shed out back.

Needs more cushions. Also some rebar to keep the arms from sliding off when you lean on them.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 03:48:43 PM »
Find one you like at Ikea and then stalk craigslist for it (just search for the name of the couch).  Almost all my furniture is used, much of it from craigslist. You can save a bundle w/ used furniture that is in great shape. I just got a "new" loveseat made by Laz-e-boy for $100 off craigslist, in new condition. I mean, absolutely spotless. It retails for about $900.

Furniture stores typically mark-up their furniture prices at least 3x their cost, then have "sales." Most certainly do not pay sticker price for anything at a regular furniture store. (Ikea doesn't really have sales, so they work a bit differently).

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 05:12:16 PM »

LOL - just fill one of the bricks with ice on one side for a built-in beer/drink/wine chiller.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 05:45:53 PM »
Thanks for the ideas.  I hadn't gone to IKEA yet, there is one about 30 minutes away though.  That sectional you linked looks good.  I looked around stores near me, seems like $1000 is as cheap as it gets for just a couch.  And the sectionals were more.  I saw one I liked and thought it was $1200, turned out it was $1200 per piece and it had 2 pieces.  Yikes.   Has nobody else in here ever bought a couch?  Do you just assume you'll keep it for a decade so it only amounts to $10 a month or something?  I've been browsing Craigslist too...seen some stuff for $350, but I'll need a truck.

It just depends on your attitude towards it. At the time I would not have bought a $1k+ couch since my income was only about $2.2k a month. However, I really, really like to have a nice home and that is where I would rather spend my money - as opposed to eating out, or whatever. And yeah, I plan on keeping this couch for a long time so it's fine by me. For $400 (well, I guess closer to $500 if you count the new legs and tax) I got a brand new leather couch.

Also I personally am not a huge fan of buying used fabric things (mattresses, couches, etc.) because 1) bedbugs are rampant in my city, 2) It grosses me out to sleep/sit on something people have had sex on, etc. I know what I do on my bed and don't want to be subjected to what others do on their bed, no matter how much cleaning has been done.

Part of mustachianism is putting money towards things you value rather than frivolous things. If all my finances were in order, I would still buy an Ikea couch :)

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 07:45:05 PM »
I probably wouldn't do this now that bedbugs are a problem in many areas, but some years back I got a truly ugly Goodwill couch and put a slipcover over it. (I used Sure Fit...I'm sure there are other brands). I keep thinking I'll buy another...but the slipcovered couch still works fine and I always have better things to do with the money.

What about putting "the word out" among people you trust to have a bug-free home that you are looking to inherit a couch? You might be surprised what turns up.

Otherwise, think longevity. My sib bought a leather couch so as not to have to deal with stains etc. on a fabric couch with two kids and a dog. They have been very happy with it. Dark colors will hide stains better than light. You might have the option to get extra cushion covers when purchasing, etc.

TXScout2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 12:00:35 PM »

That looks like a couch from minecraft.  I did some searching on Craigslist and found that $2400 couch I looked at used for $800.  Still pretty steep.  I might wait and see if anyone I know is giving away couches.  I found out about a Favor-like app that will pick up and deliver a couch for me, so that's one problem out of the way.  I guess I am pretty decided on getting a used couch because the prices on the new ones just seem so high.  I don't even have a PC, I just use my phone.  Seems like I should buy a PC before a couch.

Not sure about bedbugs here in Austin.  I haven't really heard of any but I guess it's good to look out for. 

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 12:03:29 PM »
I had bedbugs in Austin!  They are a growing problem.  Thankfully I was about to move cross country and didn't own the place so it didn't hurt as much, but you're not safe!

Honestly, I think you're probably safer buying from a house than from an apartment building.  I was living in one of those converted hotels in east Austin off Airport Blvd, and I don't know where it started but half the building had problems within a few weeks.