Author Topic: Mustachian Cookware purchases?  (Read 33136 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian Cookware purchases?
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2015, 10:14:13 AM »
I got the smallest Walmart Tramontina set a couple weeks ago to replace cookware that literally developed holes from too much use. I've been pretty happy thus far and the set was about $130, shipped, with tax.

I see they have an 8-pc tri-ply clad set going for $109 currently - http://www.walmart.com/ip/19581112

But there are even less pieces in that one that I'm looking for. Especially the 8" frying pan. I *never* use the 8" frying pans that I have so that would be pretty useless to me. And I'd also want a 3.5-4qt sauce pan as well.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2015, 11:55:33 AM »
Just re-visiting the thread as we're looking to slim down an reinvest in some nicer cookware. I'm seriously considering just getting a bunch of Tramontina pots and pans following these guidelines at a minimum:

1. 12-inch traditional skillet/fry pan with or w/o lid - something that’s big enough to fit four chicken breasts, sear pork chops, and easy to make a nice fond and pan sauce
2. 10-inch nonstick skillet - for cooking delicate omelets and fish
3. 12-inch cast-iron skillet - for frying and searing steaks (already have several cast-iron skillets so we're covered here
4. 4-quart covered saucepan - for vegetables and other side dishes
5. 2-quart covered saucepan for reheating leftovers, or making sauces
6. 6- or 7-quart enameled cast-iron Dutch oven - for stewing, making chili, french onion soup, braising and deep frying, and for going from stove to oven (already have a couple dutch ovens - Emeril 5.5qt cast-iron Dutch oven and Le Creuset 7.5qt Dofeu)
7 12-16qt large stockpot - for making soups, stocks, boiling pasta, or cooking for a crowd.

Sam's Club has a 12pc set that's $199 and includes the 10" & 12" skillets and 2qt sauce pan but nothing else on the list above (unless the 3.5qt sauce pan satisfies the 4qt requirement)...  http://www.samsclub.com/sams/mm-12pc-cookware-set-stainless-steel/prod16330046.ip?sprodId=prod16330046

Otherwise, I suppose I could try to resell the 8qt stockpot, 5qt dutch oven, and 5qt deep saute pan that are in the set and purchase a 12qt stockpot separately.... actually, I hear the 12" saute pan doesn't really have a true 12-inches of surface area so it seems the 5qt deep saute pan might end up being a good alternative to keep on hand. Not so sure about the dutch oven or stockpot though. I think if I have those around though I may end up using them anyway. Still would want the 12qt stockpot though for larger quantities of broth/stock/soup

Anyone have alternative suggestions?

Once I have everything, I'm probably just going to donate or toss all the non-stick crap and whatever else we don't want. I was also thinking about getting rid of our crockpot and getting an instapot or something like that instead. Too many gadgets though :T

FWIW: the Sams Club deal looks to contain cookware that's all "Made in Brazil" vs the comparable Tramontina "tri-ply clad" items on Walmart's site which all appear to be more or less the same items but "Made in China" - not sure if there's any real difference but I suppose I could save a bit getting only what I need piece-by-piece from Walmart vs as a set from Sam's Club.

12 quarts is 3 gallons. That's a LOT. How many are you cooking for on a regular basis? I find our 6 qt stock pot is great for pasta and soup (when we don't make it in the 10 cup InstaPot). We're typically making 4-6 servings (batch cooking for 2). The issue with pots bigger than about 8qt is that cleaning becomes a huge chore. You don't really need more than 8qt for a pound of pasta... And the 3.5 qt should be fine instead of 4 qt. Why is that even a question?

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2015, 11:59:19 AM »
Just re-visiting the thread as we're looking to slim down an reinvest in some nicer cookware. I'm seriously considering just getting a bunch of Tramontina pots and pans following these guidelines at a minimum:

1. 12-inch traditional skillet/fry pan with or w/o lid - something that’s big enough to fit four chicken breasts, sear pork chops, and easy to make a nice fond and pan sauce
3. 12-inch cast-iron skillet - for frying and searing steaks (already have several cast-iron skillets so we're covered here
4. 4-quart covered saucepan - for vegetables and other side dishes
5. 2-quart covered saucepan for reheating leftovers, or making sauces
6. 6- or 7-quart enameled cast-iron Dutch oven - for stewing, making chili, french onion soup, braising and deep frying, and for going from stove to oven (already have a couple dutch ovens - Emeril 5.5qt cast-iron Dutch oven and Le Creuset 7.5qt Dofeu)
7 12-16qt large stockpot - for making soups, stocks, boiling pasta, or cooking for a crowd.

Sam's Club has a 12pc set that's $199 and includes the 10" & 12" skillets and 2qt sauce pan but nothing else on the list above (unless the 3.5qt sauce pan satisfies the 4qt requirement)...  http://www.samsclub.com/sams/mm-12pc-cookware-set-stainless-steel/prod16330046.ip?sprodId=prod16330046

Otherwise, I suppose I could try to resell the 8qt stockpot, 5qt dutch oven, and 5qt deep saute pan that are in the set and purchase a 12qt stockpot separately.... actually, I hear the 12" saute pan doesn't really have a true 12-inches of surface area so it seems the 5qt deep saute pan might end up being a good alternative to keep on hand. Not so sure about the dutch oven or stockpot though. I think if I have those around though I may end up using them anyway. Still would want the 12qt stockpot though for larger quantities of broth/stock/soup

Once I have everything, I'm probably just going to donate or toss all the non-stick crap and whatever else we don't want. I was also thinking about getting rid of our crockpot and getting an instapot or something like that instead. Too many gadgets though :T

FWIW: the Sams Club deal looks to contain cookware that's all "Made in Brazil" vs the comparable Tramontina "tri-ply clad" items on Walmart's site which all appear to be more or less the same items but "Made in China" - not sure if there's any real difference but I suppose I could save a bit getting only what I need piece-by-piece from Walmart vs as a set from Sam's Club.

12 quarts is 3 gallons. That's a LOT. How many are you cooking for on a regular basis? I find our 6 qt stock pot is great for pasta and soup (when we don't make it in the 10 cup InstaPot). We're typically making 4-6 servings (batch cooking for 2). The issue with pots bigger than about 8qt is that cleaning becomes a huge chore. You don't really need more than 8qt for a pound of pasta... And the 3.5 qt should be fine instead of 4 qt. Why is that even a question?

True, I was thinking 12qts is actually quite a bit. Sometimes I get into soup-making phases but it's not very often. My next project was for pho but I'm sure a 12qt stockpot is overkill. More and more it sounds like the Sam's Club set (with the 8qt stockpot) for $200 is the way to go for this. Trying to see if I can get any other discounts beforehand though.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2015, 10:22:06 AM »
I ended up caving and getting an Instant Pot DUO60 that was on sale still through Amazon Prime Now via Cyber Monday.  Came out to be around under $70 after Chase Freedom Cashback. I figure since it can make rice and a bunch of other stuff, now I can get rid of/sell our slow rice cooker and also the cheapo crockpot we have that we don't use.

I'm still leaning towards picking up the 12pc Member's Mark/Tramontina clad set from Sam's Club as well but keep hoping that the $200~ price will drop (I doubt it).

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
    • Fly Fishing Photo Project
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2015, 12:57:40 PM »
I wouldn't say it's mustachian, but if anyone wants some Cutco brand cutlery I'm your guy! haha. I used to sell it in highschool and still have access to place orders. The only thing I would say is mustachian about it is they do last a long time and have a great warranty/stand behind the product. The straight edge chef's knives (come in 2 different sizes) are 'high carbon' stainless steel which relates to how sharp you can get them. But that pretty much goes for any set of high quality knives you might be looking into.

I'll be bookmarking this thread as a reference for when I ever need a new pot or pan - some good info here!

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2015, 01:38:35 PM »
Do any of you guys have a sous vide? Or anyone DIY one? I came across this - http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/diy-sous-vide/

Was also given the idea of a simple setup along the lines of these three items:
http://www.amazon.com/Willhi-Wh1436-110v-Temperature-Controller/dp/B00V4TJR00/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8
http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Immersion-Heater-Portable-Beverage/dp/B000VK0DRY/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZW6OHHY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=AJTYHPOY359XM

Though, the immersion heater probably isn't strong enough. Any ideas? The Anova Precision cooker is "on sale" for $129 but that seems like a lot for a gadget I'm not 100% committed on using. Plus, if I can DIY one for less than half the cost, why not?

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2015, 01:56:24 PM »
My kit would include:
* A 12"-14" non stick, Teflon type aluminum skillet for eggs, pancakes and items that you don't want to stick. (the real thin ones warp)
* A one quart and two quart sauce pan, could be any material, non stick Teflon or stainless.
* A 12" Iron skillet and 12" iron dutch oven
* A large cook pot for soups, stews, etc.   Could be aluminum, stainless, or non stick material.
* Lids for most of above items.
* A couple various size baking pans & sheets.

Throw in a few misc. utensils, spatula, tongs, spoons, etc. and you could stove top and oven cook about anything.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2015, 02:04:20 PM »
Sous vide is my most recent experiment, & I have to say it's amazing. So far I've only done chicken breasts, good steak, & carrots, & in all cases the taste was amazing. Sous vide also gives us the ability to buy on sale & either precook food for a convenient thawing when needed or freeze it raw to cook sous vide unattended for several hours. It can be finished whenever you want to. I was able to get a prerelease Anova wifi unit for $129, & it will handle the much higher heat needed for vegetables.

However, this article describes how it is possible to try sous vide for the lower heat foods for the price of a beer cooler & some freezer ziplock bags: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2015, 02:16:37 PM »
I have Revere Ware I inherited from my mother. She got it as a wedding gift in 1945. Still works great, including the dutch oven (all this talk of Le Creuset bewilders me.) I decided a few months ago that I wanted a smaller saucepan. I got a matching one at Goodwill for $2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2015, 02:28:28 PM »
Sous vide is my most recent experiment, & I have to say it's amazing. So far I've only done chicken breasts, good steak, & carrots, & in all cases the taste was amazing. Sous vide also gives us the ability to buy on sale & either precook food for a convenient thawing when needed or freeze it raw to cook sous vide unattended for several hours. It can be finished whenever you want to. I was able to get a prerelease Anova wifi unit for $129, & it will handle the much higher heat needed for vegetables.

However, this article describes how it is possible to try sous vide for the lower heat foods for the price of a beer cooler & some freezer ziplock bags: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html

I agree. Recently at a friend's bachelor party, one of the guys brought a couple Anova sous vides, tubs, and a bunch of ribeye. It really was some of the best steak I've had in a while. The cooler (I'm assuming it can be *any* cooler...not specifically a "beer" cooler?)/ziplock bag idea seems interesting and I'm tempted to try it. The only thing that boggles me a bit is getting water into it at the right temp. I guess if I'm just making 3-4 steaks max, I shouldn't need more than 2-3 gallons? And in that case I suppose I could just heat water on the stove and dump it in... one of those immersion heaters sounds easier for this though. But per the point of the article, I guess at a bare minimum all you really need is hot water and a thermometer

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2015, 04:51:20 PM »
The cooler needs to be on the small side -- I suspect the "beer" label refers to the size that holds a 12 pack max.

Here's another site that describes sous vide in a cooler: http://notsoancientchinesecrets.com/healthy-sous-vide-skinless-chicken-breast-recipe/
It has a review of the Anova sous vide on another page.

Midabistew

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2015, 05:17:22 PM »
I also recommend the 8" Victorinox chef knife mentioned above. We've used one for a year and just bought another for a vacation home. Super sweet for $34.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000638D32?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2015, 05:28:50 PM »
I also recommend the 8" Victorinox chef knife mentioned above. We've used one for a year and just bought another for a vacation home. Super sweet for $34.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000638D32?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Yep I have that exact knife - got it for around $25-30 about over 5 years ago. It's a great knife and I've gotten several other Victorinox knives that I like as well. I also jumped on a deal for a Fujimaru knife set (3 different sized knives) for around $48 a couple years back. Those are super sharp and really great knives as well.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2015, 06:19:21 PM »
Does anyone have a GOOD garlic press? I manually minced for years, until I had a gift card and 20% off after my wedding, and finally got a garlic press. And guys... it was life changing. I can't live without it now.

BUT. That stupid piece of junk lasted TWO MONTHS before I bent it in HALF along the metal part =( So now I need a new one, because hedonic adaptation. I am now spoiled and lazy by the garlic press. I had a little XO or cuisinart things- got it from Bed Bath and Beyond. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CTG-01-GP-Curve-Handle-Garlic/dp/B004YZEIZ0/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1449019056&sr=1-2&keywords=cuisinart+garlic+press

So now I'm considering a "blade", since it seems less likely to break- does anyone have one? Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010TLUFEU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1CS1P1EFYDJZ8&coliid=I387VZCWBOGU41

Of course, maybe I should just go with a better quality press, so the liquid doesn't get lost on the cutting board? I would love recommendations!

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2015, 08:43:36 PM »
Does anyone have a GOOD garlic press?

Well my garlic press came from Ikea and its still going some 6 years later. Its all metal so no bits to crack or fall off. It does the job :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2015, 08:48:04 PM »
Does anyone have a GOOD garlic press?

Well my garlic press came from Ikea and its still going some 6 years later. Its all metal so no bits to crack or fall off. It does the job :)

Well, it was the metal on mine that bent, hence my concern. 6 years is great though. Maybe I'll grab one next time I'm at ikea. Thanks!

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2015, 10:23:51 PM »
+1 on Revere Ware.  My sister gave me a large Le Creuset Dutch oven (she got at an estate sale) and I sold it on Craigslist.  It was so heavy empty it was ridiculous!

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2015, 06:07:59 PM »
Do any of you guys have a sous vide? Or anyone DIY one? I came across this - http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/diy-sous-vide/

Have you thought about using your new instant pot for this?

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2015, 06:26:57 PM »

Have you thought about using your new instant pot for this?

Sous vide? You mean hooking it up to a PID/temp controller? I think you typically want to hook up a manual/analog (non-digital) rice cooker or multi-cooker pot/slow-cooker when doing sous vide this way. I did see at least one recipe for "sous vide" duck breast on the instant pot website but I'm not sure if that's *true* sous vide.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2015, 07:50:29 PM »
I have Revere Ware I inherited from my mother. She got it as a wedding gift in 1945. Still works great, including the dutch oven (all this talk of Le Creuset bewilders me.) I decided a few months ago that I wanted a smaller saucepan. I got a matching one at Goodwill for $2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another +1 on Revereware. My set is half pieces that I inherited from my Indiana grandmother and half Goodwill finds.

Full disclosure: Also have and love Griswold cast-iron skillet, Griswold cast-iron dutch oven, the reversible Lodge cast-iron griddle/grill, and two pieces of All-Clad (12-inch skillet and 1.5 quart saucepan. Sold the saucier). The Griswold skillet is probably our most used pan, but then everything else is a distant third to the Revereware.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2015, 08:37:08 PM »

Sous vide? You mean hooking it up to a PID/temp controller? I think you typically want to hook up a manual/analog (non-digital) rice cooker or multi-cooker pot/slow-cooker when doing sous vide this way. I did see at least one recipe for "sous vide" duck breast on the instant pot website but I'm not sure if that's *true* sous vide.
Well, I don't actually know what I'm talking about, except that I too got an instant pot in a cyber monday sale, and some searching online seemed like it could sort of work like a sous vide thingie. I saw the duck breast recipe on their site, and I guess it seems more reliable than using a beer cooler.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2015, 09:08:43 PM »

Well, I don't actually know what I'm talking about, except that I too got an instant pot in a cyber monday sale, and some searching online seemed like it could sort of work like a sous vide thingie. I saw the duck breast recipe on their site, and I guess it seems more reliable than using a beer cooler.

Haha nice. Yea, I don't think you can use the Instant Pot in-line with the DIY sous vide contraption. The duck breast recipe looks interesting so many one day I'll try it - http://instantpot.com/sous-vide-duck-breast/ - actually, they do say to use plastic bags/vacuum sealer bags to put the duck in and dumping in with the "keep warm" function. Problem is that you don't really have any specific control over the temp, so while this may work for duck breast it may not necessarily work for steak, chicken, fish, etc... would be cool if it had that functionality though. The other thing about true sous vide is that there's something in the water that makes it circulate (in the case of the DIY sous vide, it's the aquarium pump haha).

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2015, 07:23:58 PM »
Following someone's link to well-priced cookware, I ran into this:
http://stores.cookwarenmore.com/chantal-1-8-qt-classic-red-teakettle/

I have this in green.  I bought it for somewhere around $2 at a yard sale and had no idea that retail is $100+.  Estate sales are great for cookware.  You are buying what probably served someone well for decades.

*snip*
*snip*

Yes!  Use that cast iron skillet to cook your omelets!  You get much better browning and flavor.  I didn't like scrambled eggs and omelets until I started cooking them on cast iron.  Sooo good.  If your omelets are breaking, it may be your flipper that is the issue (assuming your skillet is well seasoned and oiled).  You want to look for one that has a metal blade (slightly bendy), a straight leading edge, and a handle that won't get hot.  I have this one (recommended on a cast iron blog) and it serves me well: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002CJNBTO/ci12-20

Does anyone have a GOOD garlic press? I manually minced for years, until I had a gift card and 20% off after my wedding, and finally got a garlic press. And guys... it was life changing. I can't live without it now.

*snip*

Of course, maybe I should just go with a better quality press, so the liquid doesn't get lost on the cutting board? I would love recommendations!

When I went looking for a garlic press, I wanted only one joint (the hinge between top and bottom) and no removable baskets.  Each one I saw that didn't fit those criteria had a lot of issues in reviews (and even looking at them in the store) with the hinged plungers getting stuck and the removable baskets getting lost.

So, I got this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CSUQP90?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

However, I didn't get it to use with garlic (though it seems to be tough and work well for that purpose).  I purchased it as the perfect way to juice key lime halves for pie.  Yum.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2015, 07:27:34 PM »
Oh I like that. Something made to handle nuts and olives should work well for garlic. Hmmm. Added to my "homework list".

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2015, 08:53:10 PM »
Following someone's link to well-priced cookware, I ran into this:
http://stores.cookwarenmore.com/chantal-1-8-qt-classic-red-teakettle/

I have this in green.  I bought it for somewhere around $2 at a yard sale and had no idea that retail is $100+.  Estate sales are great for cookware.  You are buying what probably served someone well for decades.

Hah, I found one of these at Goodwill and thought I was going to resell it, and just kept it instead - mine is a nice turquoise.  My girlfriend loves using it when she visits (she loves the whistle).  Make sure to let it dry out between uses, otherwise it will rust on the inside (as per my research on this kettle).

I'm not a foodie, nor cook expert, so all my stuff is yard sale items too.  I have lots of classic Pyrex for mixing / cooking / storing.  The newer stuff isn't as durable.  I also have lots of Pyrex Visions cookware - don't know how it compares to the brand names bandied about, but they do well for me.  I did buy my GF a LeCruset dutch oven like new for $20, it sure was heavy.  Not sure how much she used it.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2015, 09:11:07 PM »
Rust on the inside...?  Uh-oh.  I keep water in mine all the time.  But the description says that it is enameled inside, and mine seems to be.  There is bad mineral buildup from the hard water in this area, but drying it out often would only make that worse.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2015, 11:33:26 PM »
I ended up picking up the 12pc SS Member's Mark set from Sams Club and it's great. Made pancakes in the 12" saute pan it this morning and the first batch turned out nice, except I tried to make one huge pancake and that turned into a mess lol. I did end up with some burning and sticking (from the sugar in the bananas and blueberries) and I ended up having to wash the pan out between batches so I'll have to learn how to avoid things like that.

Excited to use the other pieces in the set though.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2015, 08:15:27 AM »
I ended up picking up the 12pc SS Member's Mark set from Sams Club and it's great. Made pancakes in the 12" saute pan it this morning and the first batch turned out nice, except I tried to make one huge pancake and that turned into a mess lol. I did end up with some burning and sticking (from the sugar in the bananas and blueberries) and I ended up having to wash the pan out between batches so I'll have to learn how to avoid things like that.

At least for me, the answer is to cook with fat. Add a pat of butter before something goes in. Tastes delicious, doesn't stick, and fat isn't the health boogeyman anymore.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2015, 08:45:48 AM »
This is what I've ended up with after several interstate moves:

- Chasseur oval casserole- purchased second hand (I was very patient and waited for a good deal to come around)
- Spun steel wok (found on the kerb).
- Small SS saucepan x 2, copper bases (1 found on kerb, another hand-me-down from mum, was an engagement present)
- Arcosteel SS copper based saucepan (same deal, parent's engagement present)
- Stainless steel double steamer ( ditto )
- Scanpan stockpot with pasta insert and steamer
- Slow cooker- not essential but quite useful- I make a lot of stock
- High quality stand mixer (definitely not essential but makes many things quicker, and not just cake batters)
- 1 Scanpan breadknife
- Victorinox knives- 1 filleting knife, 1 paring knife, 1 medium-sized flat-bladed knife

I find this setup is more than I really need but serves me well. I think I could get away with only one small saucepan and ditching the double steamer, but it's occasionally useful to have that many pots (and I tend to put things in the fridge in the saucepan, once it's cooled down enough. Means things are ready to be re-heated immediately, and I need less storage containers). I think the thing I use the most regularly is the wok. Mine has a flat base, and is used for stir-frys, sauteeing, frying eggs, making (small-ish) omlettes*, and occasionally for steaming too. That workhorse lives on my stove, and I've never re-seasoned it.

Probably counts as heresy making a Western-style omlette in a wok, but the angled sides make it fabulous for getting the damned thing out.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2015, 05:54:44 PM »
Y'all are making me drool over here. I can't wait to get my dream kitchen setup.

What you are all right about that I need to get are good knives. And a stand mixer. And a wok. And and and. . .

Someone mentioned using wooden spoons, after sanding and seasoning them. I had no idea! No wonder I buy them with high hopes and end up tossing them when they get gross.  I wasn't using it right. Just another lesson learned on these forums.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: December 25, 2015, 11:34:38 AM »
Y'all are making me drool over here. I can't wait to get my dream kitchen setup.

What you are all right about that I need to get are good knives. And a stand mixer. And a wok. And and and. . .

Someone mentioned using wooden spoons, after sanding and seasoning them. I had no idea! No wonder I buy them with high hopes and end up tossing them when they get gross.  I wasn't using it right. Just another lesson learned on these forums.

The next thing I really want is a kitchen makeover!!! Our oven range is pretty crappy and the fridge was the cheapest thing I could find at Sears after the old one broke down several years ago. Our sync is cast-iron/porcelain so is starting to rust in some areas. But everything is functional, and we're too cheap to look for replacements lol. It sure would make things a lot nicer... our cabinets are nasty too. The whole kitchen is a flashback to the late-80's/early-90's hahaha.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #81 on: December 25, 2015, 03:50:05 PM »
When we were married, we had a set of RevereWare, which lasted a long time ... but eventually the bottoms warped. 

After a great deal of reading and looking, I decided to go with Cuisinart Multi-Clad Pro cookware.  If you're in the comparison stage, compare it against All Clad and other waterless cookware sets.   Keep in mind that Cuisinart has several lines -- so Multi-Clad Pro isn't the same as the others; I think one might've been called Classic and another I think had Sillouette in its name.  Note the layers of metal and how they go up the sides.  I seem to receive Amazon gift cards on a regular basis as gifts, and I'm collecting pieces /passing on old RevereWare items to my college-aged girls.  I'm entirely happy with these new Stainless Steel pieces. 

I also have my old, old, old cast iron items, but they're only good for what they're good for.  They're not one-stop, do-everything items.

I also have a large stockpot that's heavy glass -- I think it's made by Corning.  I love that thing for soups because I can see what's cooking. 

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2015, 11:32:44 AM »
Just for reference I cook every day, typically from scratch, except for once per week or so when I will eat out for lunch.  If my house burned to the ground and I had to buy new kitchen cooking items, I would pick up the following right away:

• 2qt sauce pot
  • 3qt saute pan
  • 6qt soup pot
  • Roasting pan with rack
  • Large Chef's knife
  • Medium boning knife
  • Medium serrated/utility knife
  • 2x small vegetable knives
  • 2x medium cutting boards
  • Honing steel
  • Coffee Grinder
  • Electric Kettle
  • French press
That's it, really.. for about 90%+ of what I cook.  I was gifted a whole set of Calphalon 10 years ago which is what I use.  The non-stick scratched 5 or 6 years ago and has not been replaced.  Other items I have that I would buy again eventually are large oven safe bowls (or square casserole dishes), which I can mix in, bake in, eat out of, and when clean stack together nicely in the pantry.The crock pot comes out in winter for soups, and I have a cast iron that occasionally gets used for meatNext it's a cost/benefit for me.  I bake maybe 4-5 pies per year, so it makes sense to own a cheap glass pan vs. buying tin at the store each time.  Same with cookies, muffins & desert breads, so I own all that too!  Have a hand mixer but don't recommend it, own a fork & spatula instead.. only use it every couple of years to make meringue.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 11:36:41 AM by RobbyJ »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #83 on: December 26, 2015, 12:08:56 PM »
In our kitchen our most-used cookware includes:

8" and 10" nonstick pans

Cuisinart stainless equipment:

2 long-handled saucepans (1 and 2 quart maybe?)
2 saute pans saute pans - (vertical sides).  I like these for making casserole type dishes because I can saute the meat and onions and whatever, and then add the rest of the ingredients and pop them in the oven.  One is normal size and one is quite large
8 and 12-quart stock pots - These are kind of optional and don't get a ton of use, but I do use them for making homemade stock.  If I didn't make my own stock, I could do without them.

Lodge 6 quart enameled cast iron Dutch oven.  I use this one the most for making soups and stews  Prior to owning this, I used the 8 quart Cuisinart pot for soups, but this is a little easier to do any browning in because the sides are lower.

I'm also surprised people aren't recommending pressure cookers.  Now that I have an Instant Pot, I'm not sure I'd buy a stovetop pressure cooker.  However, I have a super nifty Fagor pressure cooker set that has a 4 and 6 quart bottom, the pressure cooker top and a plain glass lid so either pot can be used as a pressure cooker or regular pot.  If I needed to minimize I could definitely ditch my 2 quart sauce pan and use the smaller of these pots instead. I got my set for way less than Amazon is selling it right now, but this set would be my primary pots if I had a small kitchen. http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-Futuro-5-Piece-Pressure-Cooker-Set/dp/B0018N0W3I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1451156565&sr=8-7&keywords=fagor+pressure+cooker+set

Outside of cookware, I am in love with my InstantPot and my Blendtec blender, and especially the little Twister jar that's available for making hummus, mayo and stuff like that.  I've gotten far more DIY with my kitchen adventures since owning the Blendtec + twister jar (making condiments, grinding chile powder etc.)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2015, 02:11:26 PM »
In our kitchen our most-used cookware includes:

8" and 10" nonstick pans

Cuisinart stainless equipment:

2 long-handled saucepans (1 and 2 quart maybe?)
2 saute pans saute pans - (vertical sides).  I like these for making casserole type dishes because I can saute the meat and onions and whatever, and then add the rest of the ingredients and pop them in the oven.  One is normal size and one is quite large
8 and 12-quart stock pots - These are kind of optional and don't get a ton of use, but I do use them for making homemade stock.  If I didn't make my own stock, I could do without them.

Lodge 6 quart enameled cast iron Dutch oven.  I use this one the most for making soups and stews  Prior to owning this, I used the 8 quart Cuisinart pot for soups, but this is a little easier to do any browning in because the sides are lower.

I'm also surprised people aren't recommending pressure cookers.  Now that I have an Instant Pot, I'm not sure I'd buy a stovetop pressure cooker.  However, I have a super nifty Fagor pressure cooker set that has a 4 and 6 quart bottom, the pressure cooker top and a plain glass lid so either pot can be used as a pressure cooker or regular pot.  If I needed to minimize I could definitely ditch my 2 quart sauce pan and use the smaller of these pots instead. I got my set for way less than Amazon is selling it right now, but this set would be my primary pots if I had a small kitchen. http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-Futuro-5-Piece-Pressure-Cooker-Set/dp/B0018N0W3I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1451156565&sr=8-7&keywords=fagor+pressure+cooker+set

Outside of cookware, I am in love with my InstantPot and my Blendtec blender, and especially the little Twister jar that's available for making hummus, mayo and stuff like that.  I've gotten far more DIY with my kitchen adventures since owning the Blendtec + twister jar (making condiments, grinding chile powder etc.)

The Instant Pot is great, isn't it? I love mine. Super-useful kitchen gadget. We have a Ninja blender that I damaged the blades on with the larger pitcher (I left a spoon in while making salsa... :(). I'd love to get a Vitamix or Blendtec for our next blender but we'll see.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #85 on: December 26, 2015, 03:03:10 PM »
Guys!!! I got knives and a block with the sharpening steel for Christmas! And a cast iron griddle! Apparently my boyfriend's uncle deals in old cast iron, so it's an old one all cleaned up. I can cross a couple of things of my wish list! :-)

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2015, 08:22:22 AM »
Another fan of nonstick.  I'm not a foodie - don't enjoy cooking.  Love my two new nonstick frypans I got for my birthday earlier this month.  Nonstick quality is all over the map, even from the same company.  One of the best is T-fal Pro.  You can use metal utensils and put it in the dishwasher (I don't do either).  The nonstick lasts more than a year, and the pans stay flat and heat evenly.

Love my little German Wusthof paring knives I got from my secret santa last year - yes I requested them on my info sheet, LOL.

Other than that, I'm not fussy about cookware.

I will say last year I killed my 20 yr old $350 Vitamix with a piece of frozen parmesan cheese.  Replaced it with a $35 Ninja set.  I only use it a couple of times a month, but so far, so good.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 08:55:54 AM by esq »

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2015, 11:32:09 AM »

So, I got this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CSUQP90?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

However, I didn't get it to use with garlic (though it seems to be tough and work well for that purpose).  I purchased it as the perfect way to juice key lime halves for pie.  Yum.

That looks very similar to mine and it works great. Although I'm currently just crushing garlic...

I need a decent chefs knife. I have a Mac 8 inch that I really like -  especially the weight of it but Its now chipped in two places. reckon a decent knife sharpener would be able to grind it down? I have another 8 inch knife but I'm not in love with it.

The enamelled dutch ovens? got one from Target on sale a year ago and I love it.

One of my best recent buys was a large chopping board with a juice well.. I love that too!

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2016, 04:57:42 PM »

I ended up getting this same 12 piece set for christmas and it is beautiful but I have noticed something strange about the pots in my set. The bottom of my pots are all slightly curved upward in the center and this is especially noticeable on the larger pots such as the 12" saute pan. I feel like this makes only the edges touch the surface of my glass/ceramic cooktop. I would love to know if your's are like this too before I conclude that they are defective. Is this some weird intentional design or something?

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2016, 05:00:19 PM »

I ended up getting this same 12 piece set for christmas and it is beautiful but I have noticed something strange about the pots in my set. The bottom of my pots are all slightly curved upward in the center and this is especially noticeable on the larger pots such as the 12" saute pan. I feel like this makes only the edges touch the surface of my glass/ceramic cooktop. I would love to know if your's are like this too before I conclude that they are defective. Is this some weird intentional design or something?

Weird - I never noticed or cared to check! Will take a look soon to see if there's any curvature on mine. I used mine on a gas stove so it's not as big a deal I guess. But I can see how that wouldn't really work out so well for a glass/ceramic top.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2016, 05:07:38 PM »
Weird - I never noticed or cared to check! Will take a look soon to see if there's any curvature on mine. I used mine on a gas stove so it's not as big a deal I guess. But I can see how that wouldn't really work out so well for a glass/ceramic top.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing what you find. I kinda noticed it when I first opened them but I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me until I put a straight edge up to the bottoms. I'm not sure if it's affecting the cooking because I always used such cheap pans than anything is better than them.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2016, 05:09:05 PM »

Thanks, I look forward to hearing what you find. I kinda noticed it when I first opened them but I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me until I put a straight edge up to the bottoms. I'm not sure if it's affecting the cooking because I always used such cheap pans than anything is better than them.

Strange... I haven't really noticed this warping when I've washed the pots and pans. Are you seeing it on ALL of them? Or just one or two?

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2016, 05:11:13 PM »

Strange... I haven't really noticed this warping when I've washed the pots and pans. Are you seeing it on ALL of them? Or just one or two?

I see this on all 7 of them but the curve is perfectly symmetrical with the larger pots have a larger depression in the center. I've read tons of reviews on these pots and never seen anyone mention this though.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 05:14:39 PM by comfyfutons »

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2016, 07:29:36 PM »

I see this on all 7 of them but the curve is perfectly symmetrical with the larger pots have a larger depression in the center. I've read tons of reviews on these pots and never seen anyone mention this though.

So I checked the deep saute pan, dutch oven and both regular saute pans and they are all slightly concaved like yours. Perhaps not as severe but it's there. Maybe you should try using a hard straight edge to see how severe it is? I think the tape measure makes it look perhaps worse than it actually is. I haven't noticed it affecting the cook on anything though.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2016, 07:00:53 AM »
One recommendation I have for knives is to learn how to sharpen them.  A honing steel does not sharpen (despite what many celebrity chefs say on their shows), it merely re-aligns the blade.  Eventually it will need sharpening to cut properly.  I've lost count of how many people I've visited who have expensive knives that they've never sharpened in years of ownership.  A dull expensive knife is just as useless as a dull cheap knife (and more useless than a sharp cheap knife).  Have you ever seen a chef on TV breeze through an onion and wondered how they did it so much faster than you?  A sharp knife is a big part of it.

Whether you're getting expensive or cheap knives, LEARN TO SHARPEN THEM.  You can use a stone for the least material removal and the most badass factor, or you can go on amazon and get a ready made sharpener.  Taking it to a professional a couple of times a year is also an option, but be wary of super cheap places as they usually use a grinding wheel that will a) take off more metal than they need to and b) generate enough heat from friction that it may affect the temper of the steel.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2016, 10:57:59 AM »

So I checked the deep saute pan, dutch oven and both regular saute pans and they are all slightly concaved like yours. Perhaps not as severe but it's there. Maybe you should try using a hard straight edge to see how severe it is? I think the tape measure makes it look perhaps worse than it actually is. I haven't noticed it affecting the cook on anything though.

I just checked all my pots and pans.  Every single one of my modern pots and pans bows up in the middle.  (Quality ranges from low to middling; nothing is fancy names.)

My inherited Wagner cast iron skillet also bows up from the outer ring and then slightly back down in the middle.  I don't know if it is warping from poor use.  (My paternal grandmother was known to be, at best, a mediocre cook and Dad says she would regularly have thin layers of copper flake from the bottoms of her Revereware pots when she let them boil dry.)

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2016, 12:32:41 PM »

I just checked all my pots and pans.  Every single one of my modern pots and pans bows up in the middle.  (Quality ranges from low to middling; nothing is fancy names.)

My inherited Wagner cast iron skillet also bows up from the outer ring and then slightly back down in the middle.  I don't know if it is warping from poor use.  (My paternal grandmother was known to be, at best, a mediocre cook and Dad says she would regularly have thin layers of copper flake from the bottoms of her Revereware pots when she let them boil dry.)

So I found some information pertaining to the concave bases of my pots after some painstaking searching on the internet. It seems that manufacturers intentionally create slightly concave bases on pans to avoid the pans becoming convex because it is much much worse for them to become convex and have spinning unstable pots. Apparently they are designed so that as the metals heats it expands to become more convex and is supposed to create a perfectly flat surface once the pan has reached cooking temperatures. I feel that my saute pan still pooled oil around the edges even when heated but I will have to do more testing. I also don't have a burner that is quite big enough to cover the full 12" base so maybe it wasn't hot enough.

Here are some links that mention it:
http://www.schott.com/hometech/english/download/appropriate_cookware.pdf
http://lotusrock.com/stable-concave-design/
http://www.meyer.hk/modules/content/item.php?itemid=20

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2016, 12:35:53 PM »

So I found some information pertaining to the concave bases of my pots after some painstaking searching on the internet. It seems that manufacturers intentionally create slightly concave bases on pans to avoid the pans becoming convex because it is much much worse for them to become convex and have spinning unstable pots. Apparently they are designed so that as the metals heats it expands to become more convex and is supposed to create a perfectly flat surface once the pan has reached cooking temperatures. I feel that my saute pan still pooled oil around the edges even when heated but I will have to do more testing. I also don't have a burner that is quite big enough to cover the full 12" base so maybe it wasn't hot enough.

Here are some links that mention it:
http://www.schott.com/hometech/english/download/appropriate_cookware.pdf
http://lotusrock.com/stable-concave-design/
http://www.meyer.hk/modules/content/item.php?itemid=20

Interesting! I wouldn't have known if you hadn't brought it up! Thanks!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2016, 12:48:14 PM »
I have had the same set of visionsware since I was in college.  Yep, it's the original Amber color from the late 1980s.  I have about 16 pieces of it and I hate it.  Sure it works fine, but it's heavy as hell.  In the past 10 years, I'm sure I've only used one of the pots, and that only a handful of times.  Now, I don't cook much to begin with, and when I do, my preference in order is:  microwave, crockpot, rice cooker, oven.  I really don't like stovetop cooking. 

So for Christmas, I decided to replace all of my Visionsware with ONE POT that could do everything.  I sent my family on a search for the perfect pot.  Oh boy, did they find it!  a 4 quart soup pot with steamer from Tools of the Trade.  I'm getting rid of every other pot and pan that I own and just keeping this one.  On top of that, the steamer can double as a colander! 

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2016, 01:14:30 PM »
I have had the same set of visionsware since I was in college.  Yep, it's the original Amber color from the late 1980s.  I have about 16 pieces of it and I hate it.  Sure it works fine, but it's heavy as hell.  In the past 10 years, I'm sure I've only used one of the pots, and that only a handful of times.  Now, I don't cook much to begin with, and when I do, my preference in order is:  microwave, crockpot, rice cooker, oven.  I really don't like stovetop cooking. 

So for Christmas, I decided to replace all of my Visionsware with ONE POT that could do everything.  I sent my family on a search for the perfect pot.  Oh boy, did they find it!  a 4 quart soup pot with steamer from Tools of the Trade.  I'm getting rid of every other pot and pan that I own and just keeping this one.  On top of that, the steamer can double as a colander!

Have you looked into the Instant Pot? It's another one-pot-stop-shop type of deal and can cook a ton of stuff pretty quickly. Got one not long after BF from Amazon for around $70 and I really like it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!