Author Topic: Mustachian cities in Canada  (Read 25067 times)

tomatoprincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Mustachian cities in Canada
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2013, 05:40:22 PM »
Saw a very attractive job posting recently in St. John's, Newfoundland. What's your opinion on the city, mustache score?

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2013, 05:57:25 PM »
I like winter: getting cozy by the fireplace and snow storms when I don't have to go out in them.  I even like shoveling although my neighbour generally blows out my driveway.  Big sweaters and turtlenecks for keeping warm and crockpot meals.  I'm pretty much fed up by March, but it's nearly gone by then.

To each her own.  And I'm thinking the OP wants to stay in Canada. 

I'm considering retiring to PEI where I spend summers, but have noticed plenty of cheap to live places elsewhere.  None are near an international airport and none are particularly multi-cultural either. 

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2013, 11:23:02 PM »
As someone who has lived in Montreal for over 15 years and now lives in Calgary, and who speaks fluent French as well as a couple of other languages, I would argue that Calgary is much more multi-cultural and open-minded than Montreal, especially for newcomers. For a city with an undeserved red-neck reputation, we elected the most liberal and forward-looking mayor (the son of South-Asian-origin immigrants from Tanzania, and Muslim) of all major cities in Canada. Compared to Montreal, Calgary is a new city with few old buildings and neighbourhood, but it is much more vibrant, with world-class restaurants and bars, a booming job market in all sectors, and the feeling of nature and big sky omnipresent even downtown, with the Rockies visible from almost anywhere and only an hour drive. The cost of housing is a bit higher than Montreal but not that much, however the price of utilities, gas, groceries and necessities, restaurants, outings, and most importantly the income tax rate and the absence of provincial sales tax more than compensate for the rest. And for someone in the medical profession, you will find a topnotch health system witout the interminable queues that Quebecers are used to in Montreal's hospitals.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2014, 08:38:27 PM »
Saw a very attractive job posting recently in St. John's, Newfoundland. What's your opinion on the city, mustache score?

Living in Newfoundland is very interesting, coming from mainland Canada. It definitely has its own vibe. I found people to be very friendly. St Johns is pretty. Winters can be hard. The biggest problem with Newfoundland is the unemployment rate, and that's not an issue for you.

If the job posting is attractive, I would definitely encourage you to inquire and take a visit out there and see what you think. I can't speak to the property values at this point - it's been many years since I lived there and I was not a home owner.

Jomar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2014, 01:05:25 PM »
Come live in Wolseley (a neighbourhood in Winnipeg). It's got everything you're looking for. The saying around here goes, "it'n not heaven, it's Wolseley". To expand a little re: your specific criteria: there's a bus to the airport (a little round about, but not bad), or it's about $12 for a cab, and the airport has plenty of international flights- Minneapolis is quite close and is one of the busiest airports on the planet. Wolseley is in the top ten neighbourhoods in Canada for bike commuting rates (number 4 or 5 I believe). It's right next to downtown, takes me less than 15 minutes to bike to work. There are 3 hospitals within a 15 minute bike ride, if you're planning on working in a hospital. Transit in Winnipeg has great coverage, but can be slow. I rarely use it though, biking and walking are all you really need! The summers in Winnipeg are to die for. The winter's are for xc skiing, hockey, winter biking, hibernating, and escaping to warmer places. And you can afford to escape somewhere warm because housing is cheap (compared to TO anyway). Speaking of housing, you'll find every housing option under the sun in Peg city: detached, side-by-sides, condos, high-rises, character apartments, new builds, lofts, housing co-ops. Whatever. Also, Winnipeg has a shit ton of ethnic restaurants, especially Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese, Ethiopian, and Filipino, including many within walking distance of Wolseley. There's also an incredible music scene in this city. But anyway, it doesn't matter. You won't move here. Mosquitoes and cold and all that. I'm good with that. We Winnipeggers know what the rest of you are missing!

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2014, 01:04:14 PM »
Curious: How would peeps rate Ottawa out of 10?

Just trying to work out once and for all if it's me, or...

AssetGrinder

• Stubble
    • Asset-Grinder Finance Blog
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2014, 04:26:20 PM »
If I was new to this country and looking to build my wealth and had a great job like you I would look into the maritimes. Cheap living costs, nice people and a good quality of life there. Stay away from the big Canadian cities as they are traps for growing wealth. Keep it simple and small.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2014, 04:38:15 PM »
If I was new to this country and looking to build my wealth and had a great job like you I would look into the maritimes. Cheap living costs, nice people and a good quality of life there. Stay away from the big Canadian cities as they are traps for growing wealth. Keep it simple and small.

+1 For someone who has good prospects for a job that pays well, I'd definitely recommend moving to a small town. The Maritimes are an obvious choice for the same reasons you list. Not only the scenery is beautiful but the cost of living is very low in most areas, and folks are friendly and down to earth. I can think of places near Digby in NS, Cavendish in PEI, around Moncton, etc. Vancouver island around Nanaimo is also a good option, a little more expensive than the East Cost but you pay for a slightly better year-round weather. For a different experience, I would also recommend small cities like Yellowknife and Whitehorse for their quality of life and overall sense of community that you can only find in the north. Winters are certainly rough but the many advantages far exceed the inconveniences.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2014, 03:31:00 PM »

+1 For someone who has good prospects for a job that pays well, I'd definitely recommend moving to a small town. The Maritimes are an obvious choice for the same reasons you list. Not only the scenery is beautiful but the cost of living is very low in most areas, and folks are friendly and down to earth. I can think of places near Digby in NS, Cavendish in PEI, around Moncton, etc. Vancouver island around Nanaimo is also a good option, a little more expensive than the East Cost but you pay for a slightly better year-round weather. For a different experience, I would also recommend small cities like Yellowknife and Whitehorse for their quality of life and overall sense of community that you can only find in the north. Winters are certainly rough but the many advantages far exceed the inconveniences.

Interesting.  I spend the summer in Cavendish, and hope to retire to PEI, but I wouldn't retire to Cavendish.  Right now my sights are set on Summerside.  Cavendish is really busy in the summer but dead in the winter neither of which I would find ideal for year round living.  North Rustico is nearby and nicer, IMO.  But to each his or her own. 

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2014, 04:18:53 PM »
I think the maritimes make sense iff you have a secure job, won't need to sell your house, travel mostly by car, and are fairly white. There are bits where these things won't matter, but those bits generally have higher housing prices.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2014, 05:33:06 AM »
I think the maritimes make sense iff you have a secure job, won't need to sell your house, travel mostly by car, and are fairly white. There are bits where these things won't matter, but those bits generally have higher housing prices.

Agreed.  Also straight.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2014, 08:03:05 PM »

As Cpa Cat says, come visit and decide for yourself!

Downsides: Food is expensive -- about 30% more than Ontario supermarket prices, and about 80% more than Ontario ethnic store prices (because we basically don't have those). Restaurants are expensive and iffy. The winters are long, dark, and wet; many people budget time away (especially Mar-June) to combat seasonal affective disorder, or self-medicate with liquor, weed, and promiscuity. Houses are cheap by central Canadian standards, but have increased a lot recently. Skilled tradespeople are in very short supply, so if you're mustachian enough to do your own renovations and upgrades, that will help a lot. There's a culture of "good enough" that drives some visitors nuts until they get used to it. It's very anglo/white, but more welcoming than some other anglo/white parts of Canada. It's expensive to fly places from here, and flying is really your only option. People are the opposite of mustachian, for the most part -- people drive huge freakin' trucks to the drive-thru, in a Texan rather than Canadian way.

On the upside: People are super nice. The scenery is good. There are icebergs and whales. It's a great walking and hiking city, small enough to get by without a car if you're very smart about where you live. The air is clean. University tuition is dirt cheap. The "vibe" is that of a larger city, in a good way. Property farther from town is often very cheap, depending on your commuting situation.

On the weird side: You can forage for chanterelles or berries within a couple of miles of town, or explore abandoned WWII bunkers. You can go down to Middle Cove during the capelin run and fill your rubbermaid container with fish, or you can buy seafood from a truck in a parking lot. Moose occasionally wander into town. There's a love of weirdness and artiness that leads to some amazing stuff for a city of this size -- things like the Lantern Festival, 24 Hour Art Marathon, local roller derby, Emo Wrestling, and an Icelandic-themed Oatmeal Cafe (now, sadly, closed).

Silverwood

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2014, 01:38:08 PM »
Really -7 in January ?! Were you even in Canada this year? Lol I was in Winnipeg and remember -30 from like December to April