Author Topic: Mustachian Christmas Gift Ideas For My Wife?  (Read 4336 times)

change_seeker

• Bristles
Mustachian Christmas Gift Ideas For My Wife?
« on: December 15, 2017, 02:49:39 PM »
T minus 10 days!!!!

I'm looking for a gift that costs little monetarily but shows her how much she means to me.

Sarah Saverdink

• Stubble
    • The Saverdinks
Re: Mustachian Christmas Gift Ideas For My Wife?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 03:04:12 PM »
What kinds of things does she enjoy? What price range are you looking for? We need a few more details :)

I can give suggestions for kitchen items, travel items and sports gear that I love, but it doesn't do any good if she doesn't like those activities.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 03:11:44 PM »
It should be something she would enjoy.

change_seeker

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 03:34:53 PM »
Sorry for the lack of detail.  We are currently staying at my in-laws in a 29' travel trailer with our four kids and a dog while I search for a job here in Reno.  So that influences some of the requirements:

-Physically small, neither of us want to figure out where to fit another item into our trailer.
-Less than $50.  This would actually be a lot for us to spend, there have been many Christmases that we have agreed to not buy gifts for each other.

She enjoys:

-cooking (she is a registered dietitian, food is a big part of her life)
-shopping for a deal (her idea of a good time is to spend an entire day combing every thrift store in the area to find a few quality items we need at 5% of their original price)
-music (she has guitar that she gets out once a year and swears she will keep up practicing until she gets her callouses back)
-the beach
-anything natural, organic, homemade

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 03:38:37 PM »
Give a coupon for a future picnic. I am all for small spaces, but that is a lot of bodies in that space.

south of 61

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 03:54:26 PM »
If I were living in a travel trailer with my husband, 4 kids and a dog, I think I would love a present that got me out of there! Just for an hour or two! Would she like a manicure / pedicure / massage something like that where she could go and relax and enjoy some quiet time. You could get her a gift card to a spa/salon that she likes.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 08:44:46 PM »
If I were living in a travel trailer with my husband, 4 kids and a dog, I think I would love a present that got me out of there! Just for an hour or two! Would she like a manicure / pedicure / massage something like that where she could go and relax and enjoy some quiet time. You could get her a gift card to a spa/salon that she likes.

That was my thought.  Or if that's too expensive, you leave her a nice package of maybe some relaxing music, aromatherapy stuff (maybe handmade soaps, since you said she likes that), a good book, and take the kids and let her have some down time for several hours.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 10:30:27 PM »
Do you have a good recent family photo? If not I would arrange for to have one taken -- maybe by your in-laws or a professional -- or maybe a photography student at the university --  with a note that acknowledges what she does to keep things together during this transition. And that the photo is a way to be grateful for this point in time, even though you may be grateful when it's over.
You can find places like Costco that can print on canvas for a no frame look if that floats your boat.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 10:43:07 PM »
Natural, organic, homemade chocolate!

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 06:01:19 AM »
My absolute favorite gifts that I get from DH are when he takes care of annoying things for me.  One year I just asked for him to wash my car, because I never get around to it.  This year I asked him to get my knife that I use all the time sharpened, and I asked DD to make me a loaf of challah (I will never do it for myself, and she makes a delicious one — I asked her to throw chocolate chips in, yum!).  Are there specific things that your wife does that she doesn't enjoy that you can do for her?  Or things she enjoys but never has time to do for herself?  Although with four kids in a trailer, maybe you can just give her coupons for X days off of the kids to do what she wants!

Come to think if it, my favorite gift ever from DS was a coupon jar, filled with coupons for everything from a hug to doing the dishes one night.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 04:00:21 PM »
Guitar lessons

ubermom4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 08:16:46 PM »
I am having trouble with the idea of 4 kids, 2 adults and a dog living in the travel trailer. You are all very brave. Great gifts I have received from DH -- he donated blood in my name (free), he 'gave' me weekend cooking for a year (free). We have 4 kids and this was the best gift ever -- he has kept it up for more than a decade. It is a tremendous gift. Oh, I happily do the shopping and/or cleanup. For your wife, I would consider taking over some chore that is challenging for her -- very thoughtful and free. Hope this helps.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 11:37:50 AM »
The two best gifts I ever got:

from my first husband - a certificate that said, "reedemable for one pair of shoes that you WANT but do not NEED".  My frugal heart went pitty-pat and a few weeks later I bought my first-ever pair of designer shoes. Because they were pretty.

from husband #2 - beautiful flowers that he arranged himself with a handwritten love letter listing out all the reasons he wanted to spend his life with me.  He's not a flowers-and-love-letters kind of guy, which made it mean even more

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 01:27:40 PM »
Certificate with basic arrangements for her to go visit family/friends/do something for a full weekend with no husband, kids, or dogs tagging along. She'd probably love the break, and certainly needs one.