Author Topic: Mustachian CCW holders?  (Read 24197 times)

Thegoblinchief

Re: Mustachian CCW holders?
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2018, 02:45:18 PM »
Cave any of you seen the new Sig p365.  I have yet to try it out, but love the idea of 10+1 9mm but the size of the glock 43 or the S+W shield. 

I will wait a year before the kinks are worked out of it and maybe purchase it for my new CHL.

https://www.sigsauer.com/products/firearms/pistols/p365/

I am interested in it based on some coverage I saw from Shot Show but not sure if it’s in stores yet. Would also love to try a Hudson but that’s $$$.

gutts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2018, 05:27:16 PM »
I have several guns as well as a huge supply of ammo from back then when I wasn’t a mustachian. If I could carry I would carry my 9mm SW shield. A very affordable small gun. I have run about 1500 rounds through it including cheap Russian ammo (Tulammo, Silver Bear) with no failures. Today I went to a range after a long break and had no problems putting decent tight groups at 7-10 yards (I mostly practice at self-defence distances). Some day when I get out of Chicago hell, I hope to carry it. Lol, back in Russia I had no idea that the US is actually 50 different counries... sigh... should have moved to Texas or AZ

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2018, 06:07:28 AM »
Some day when I get out of Chicago hell, I hope to carry it.
I thought Chicago only banned "assault rifles" - are you not eligible for a CCL?

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2018, 06:14:53 AM »
I thought Chicago only banned "assault rifles" - are you not eligible for a CCL?

It is incredibly difficult to get a permit in Illinois, and not sure it’s even possible specifically in Chicago.

gutts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2018, 04:15:13 PM »

It is incredibly difficult to get a permit in Illinois, and not sure it’s even possible specifically in Chicago.

It’s not that difficult, you need to go to CCW classes, pass the shooting test and then apply for a license. However, since there are no stand your ground and even castle doctrine laws, your CCW license is merely a right to carry a loaded gun. You don’t also have to unload your guns when travelling in a car. With FOID only it is mandatory to keep your guns and ammo separate. Ah, yeah, city regulations are also very  unfriendly. It does not stop criminals from lurking around with guns though... Just check the news. All of those restrictions  are only for law abiding people.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2018, 10:14:23 PM »

It’s not that difficult, you need to go to CCW classes, pass the shooting test and then apply for a license. However, since there are no stand your ground and even castle doctrine laws, your CCW license is merely a right to carry a loaded gun. You don’t also have to unload your guns when travelling in a car. With FOID only it is mandatory to keep your guns and ammo separate. Ah, yeah, city regulations are also very  unfriendly. It does not stop criminals from lurking around with guns though... Just check the news. All of those restrictions  are only for law abiding people.

You are not kidding. It should be either everyone can have guns (with reasonable limitations) or no one can have guns.  In some states like Illinois, New York, California, etc  it seams like only the criminals can have guns. Ridiculous. I am also not a fan of gun free zones. They are just inviting shootings in those areas.  I generally try and avoid those areas whenever possible as I prefer to carry.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2018, 09:19:57 AM »
Don't have my own CCW (or gun for it), although I've completed the course, and several people around me have theirs.  One coworker prefers the S&W Shield (feels nice in the hand!), another prefers the Springfield XDS.  One person has a Glock 26, but that thing feels like holding a brick to me.  Another acquaintance will carry nothing but Glock, and prefers a G43.  All that being said, I *do* get a fair amount of practice, especially lately, due to some product development we're doing (see shameless plug below).

Shameless plug alert:  If you're looking to improve the effectiveness of your range time, the company I work for builds and sells MantisX, a motion-sensing training aid.  It's pretty awesome.  Yes, I'm biased, since I'm on the engineering team. :)  But it actually works!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2018, 03:43:59 PM »
Don't have my own CCW (or gun for it), although I've completed the course, and several people around me have theirs.  One coworker prefers the S&W Shield (feels nice in the hand!), another prefers the Springfield XDS.  One person has a Glock 26, but that thing feels like holding a brick to me.  Another acquaintance will carry nothing but Glock, and prefers a G43.  All that being said, I *do* get a fair amount of practice, especially lately, due to some product development we're doing (see shameless plug below).

Shameless plug alert:  If you're looking to improve the effectiveness of your range time, the company I work for builds and sells MantisX, a motion-sensing training aid.  It's pretty awesome.  Yes, I'm biased, since I'm on the engineering team. :)  But it actually works!

One of my favorite firearms instructors LOVES the Mantis system. It’s on my wishlist but haven’t wanted to spend the money on it yet.

The advantage of Glocks is that everybody and their brother’s second cousin’s boyfriend twice removed make holsters and other accessories for them. Ditto the Shield, the XD platform is pretty common as well. I don’t personally like grip safeties so XD platform is not my cup of tea.

I’m disliking certain aspects of my FNS the more I use, but unlike Glocks, the aftermarket just isn’t there. With the ambidextrous features Glock is adding into Gen 5 models I may go that route at some point.

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2018, 04:07:37 PM »
Cool. Just got mine Thursday, but haven't had time to use it much yet. I didn't agree with some shots it said were great or vice versa but I'll figure out what it likes.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2018, 08:48:28 PM »
Cool. Just got mine Thursday, but haven't had time to use it much yet. I didn't agree with some shots it said were great or vice versa but I'll figure out what it likes.
If you swipe over to the fourth screen, where it shows a full trace of the movement?  You can take this to PM, so we don't clutter up the thread.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2018, 12:38:17 PM »
If you swipe over to the fourth screen, where it shows a full trace of the movement?  You can take this to PM, so we don't clutter up the thread.

Its not that active of a thread....

I, personally, want to hear more about the Mantis system.  I have been thinking about it for a while because it looks pretty awesome.

Just out of curiosity, how does it work? is there a micro-gyro in the chamber or do you use a sensing 'target' that detects the movement (like a wii)?  The phone app also looks very well done.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2018, 02:16:44 PM »

I, personally, want to hear more about the Mantis system.  I have been thinking about it for a while because it looks pretty awesome.

Just out of curiosity, how does it work? is there a micro-gyro in the chamber or do you use a sensing 'target' that detects the movement (like a wii)?  The phone app also looks very well done.
Yes, there's a 6-axis gyroscope/accelerometer that detects the movement of the gun.  It won't necessarily tell you where you shot would *land*, as other factors (like sighting, wind, etc) can affect the point of impact.  Mantis is focused on how steady you're holding the gun in the fraction of a second before the trigger breaks.  So it'll detect if you're slapping the trigger or flinching just as the shot goes off.  It attaches to the rail of your gun (or, for guns that don't have a rail, we have a bunch of adapters), so you can use it with live fire or dry pratice.

I can't take credit for the app--that's the result of a lot of hard work by our app developers, and they've really polished that thing to a mirror shine.  And they keep coming up with new things to add--a few months ago, they added social aspects to it, so you and your gun-totin' friends can follow each other and see each other's results.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2018, 02:42:39 PM »

Yes, there's a 6-axis gyroscope/accelerometer that detects the movement of the gun.  It won't necessarily tell you where you shot would *land*, as other factors (like sighting, wind, etc) can affect the point of impact.  Mantis is focused on how steady you're holding the gun in the fraction of a second before the trigger breaks.  So it'll detect if you're slapping the trigger or flinching just as the shot goes off.  It attaches to the rail of your gun (or, for guns that don't have a rail, we have a bunch of adapters), so you can use it with live fire or dry pratice.

I can't take credit for the app--that's the result of a lot of hard work by our app developers, and they've really polished that thing to a mirror shine.  And they keep coming up with new things to add--a few months ago, they added social aspects to it, so you and your gun-totin' friends can follow each other and see each other's results.

Ya I peeked around on the Mantis page and unfortunately my current CCW setups do not have any rails and don't fit the adapters...  Time to buy a 1911!  lol

Looks like a cool product.  Crazy how old gyro technology is and how well refined it has become.  Sounds like you had fun on the product.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2018, 05:32:56 PM »
What is your ccw setup?

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2018, 05:50:12 PM »
What is your ccw setup?

SCCY CPX-1.  The mag-rail attachment method may work but I'll need to investigate what mags SCCY matched when developing.

Wife is a S&W M&P Bodyguard .380 that we could do a mag mount on as well.

It would be nice if there were an inert chamber bore that could be used.  I know it doesn't help / work with live-fire, but something to consider.
Or a chamber bore that extends out of the barrel to allow a Piccadilly attachment.

I have been considering a larger handgun for more in depth training anyway.  Like a 1911 or Sig P226.  Either option I would go for a rail attachment making it a moot point.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2018, 07:17:09 PM »
I think we have the magazine floorplate adapter for the Bodyguard, but not for the SCCY.  If you're looking at the P226, I can highly recommend Sig's CO2 pellet version of it for training--it's within 1oz of a real P226, and they hold up better than any other CO2 blowback pistol we've used (and we've worn out plenty).

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2018, 09:07:12 PM »
I think we have the magazine floorplate adapter for the Bodyguard, but not for the SCCY.  If you're looking at the P226, I can highly recommend Sig's CO2 pellet version of it for training--it's within 1oz of a real P226, and they hold up better than any other CO2 blowback pistol we've used (and we've worn out plenty).

Sweet thanks for the info!  Thats another +1 for the P226...  Though I should have figured that out given the ample number of Military applications and training for that handgun.  A ton of branches use that handgun in various roles.

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2018, 10:06:02 PM »
I have an M&P Shield 9mm in a Rawdog Tactical IWB holster. I should definitely practice more and I've developed a bad habit of not carrying when I leave the house. My wife didn't grow up around guns and acts like I'm a weirdo carrying one.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2018, 04:30:01 AM »
I have an M&P Shield 9mm in a Rawdog Tactical IWB holster. I should definitely practice more and I've developed a bad habit of not carrying when I leave the house. My wife didn't grow up around guns and acts like I'm a weirdo carrying one.

Well, if you define weirdness as abnormal, it is weird. I don’t know any statistics but I bet CCW permit holders who carry daily are a pretty slim part of the population.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2018, 10:27:25 AM »

Well, if you define weirdness as abnormal, it is weird. I don’t know any statistics but I bet CCW permit holders who carry daily are a pretty slim part of the population.

3.2% of the population in Texas.  So, ya, statistically abnormal.  (I'm betting Texas is near the top for active CCL)

Full Beard

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2018, 04:50:14 PM »
Cave any of you seen the new Sig p365.  I have yet to try it out, but love the idea of 10+1 9mm but the size of the glock 43 or the S+W shield. 

I will wait a year before the kinks are worked out of it and maybe purchase it for my new CHL.

I preordered one from my local shop and it should be shipping out around June.  It's pretty amazing how it's able to hold 10 rounds in such a small package.  I may open up a cash back credit card to get the gun a little cheaper.

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2018, 05:26:46 PM »
In my state, you do not need a permit to own a gun or to open carry, but you do have to have a license to conceal carry.

I do have a CCW license.  The class was very informative.  The instructor drilled it into us that you don't draw a weapon unless you are going to use it and you only want to use it is your or someone else's life is in danger.  It is not to protect property (such as a car).  Now if someone forces their way into my car, I will not wait to ask if they are after me or the car.

I have a .380 sig saur.  It is easy to conceal and light weight.  I bought it instead of the 9mm because it is easier to rack and has less recoil.  It is well made and has never jammed.

I practice at a fish and game club in our county that has a nice range and only costs $65 a year to join. 

Most of the time, it is kept in a easy to access pocket of my purse, but if I am in any uncomfortable situation I will have it holstered or in a pocket.

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2018, 08:37:15 PM »
They must have had a bug today. I updated the app and several hours later got another update notice.

I wish there was a way to add notes to a session to explain why the scores are lower (SHO/WHO/rapid fire, etc) or to block certain sessions from a group. You can delete a session but that only removes it from the local database, the group still sees it. So I'm in a dry fire group yet they see my scores for drills other than Open Training dry-fire.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2018, 09:14:59 AM »
They must have had a bug today. I updated the app and several hours later got another update notice.

I wish there was a way to add notes to a session to explain why the scores are lower (SHO/WHO/rapid fire, etc) or to block certain sessions from a group. You can delete a session but that only removes it from the local database, the group still sees it. So I'm in a dry fire group yet they see my scores for drills other than Open Training dry-fire.
(...runs off to Slack to see if there were two updates yesterday...)  If you're on Android, yesterday's update added a Turkish translation.  Not sure about iOS.

I hope you don't mind if I share your feedback with them.  A lot of the improvements and features in the app have resulted from user feedback and requests.

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2018, 08:42:58 AM »
I hope you don't mind if I share your feedback with them.  A lot of the improvements and features in the app have resulted from user feedback and requests.
Not at all. There is a "Report Issue" but this is more a feature request and it's easier to type on a PC than smartphone.

Hope to do some live fire drills today.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2018, 12:52:33 PM »
Whether it's a problem or a feature request, it ends up going to the same people. :) Our engineering team is small but very good.

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2018, 02:29:24 PM »
I’ve completed the class and now it’s time to apply for my CCW.   I’m in The Midwest and it’s 150$ so I’ve been stalling but I plan to do it this week.   It takes 4 months to get it which sucks. I’m going to get one for Florida too. Then I’ll be covered in all the states I travel through to visit family etc. 

It’s also another hundred for the holster I need so I can carry.  Guns are not cheap to own and use.

I plan to carry a S&W body guard. It’s a 380 caliber. Which may be all they come in but I’m in the learning phase so that’s what I know. I didn’t pick mine or I would have gone with a sig saur P938 9mm.  Someone in my class had one and I liked it. They advised us to carry the highest caliber gun your comfortable with but I already owned the 380.  My gun collection is what I had left after a divorce.  My other gun is a 9mm ruger and it’s more comfortable to hold and shoot but it’s quite heavy and big.  I do like the bigger magazine.  They taught us our accuracy rate would be 2 out of 10 shots would hit the target, stressed situation assumed, not target practice. First thought was why bother but it’s better than having nothing. 

Sometimes I’d like to swap it all for the sig saur and have nothing but 9mm amo. But I find I like having two guns in my house.  Loaded and ready to go.  One in the living room and the other by my bed.  They also recommend you have some kind of backup so I have knives near them, and in other places.  Plus extra loaded magazines and all hollow point bullets.  I have a small home and the neighbors are close, pius I rent out my basement.  I don’t want the bullets to travel that far. 

I used to be more nervous but I’m getting more comfortable.  I can load and unload the guns and I practice doing that plus dry shooting, if that’s what it’s called. Not long ago all I knew how to handle was a revolver. 

I’m going to my brothers farm in the south and I plan to shoot tons of amo.  I read somewhere that you should run several hundred rounds through the gun you plan to carry to make sure it’s reliable.  That’s smart. I do know what I have has barely been used. When I get my money in better order I’d like to visit a range monthly for practice but for now I just handle them at home then set them aside with the safety on.

What I need to do more is act like I’m carrying and be aware of the places I visit, notice if they have signs visible or not, most of my favorite stores don’t allow it. I frequent the dog park and I know I can’t carry there. That’s all disappointing. Post offices are a big no no. I go on base a lot but they allow it in your car so that’s good.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 04:25:28 PM by Awesomeness »

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2018, 05:24:58 PM »
I’ve completed the class and now it’s time to apply for my CCW.   I’m in The Midwest and it’s 150$ so I’ve been stalling but I plan to do it this week.   It takes 4 months to get it which sucks. I’m going to get one for Florida too. Then I’ll be covered in all the states I travel through to visit family etc. 

I hear that.  Texas was 140$ until Texas Senate Bill 16 (S.B. 16) that went into affect September 2017.  Now its 40$.
Texas is much faster now too!  But I feel ya on the months and months of waiting... 
My advice is to go ahead and do it to get started with the waiting.  Florida is a good out-of-state license to get, Texas is as well.  Double check both reciprocity maps to see which one would help you out more.  Also, if you get both, be sure to notify law enforcement of both licenses if you get pulled over.  Hand them all three, just like you would if it was just your DL and your state CCW.

It’s also another hundred for the holster I need so I can carry.  Guns are not cheap to own and use.
You should be able to find a good one for less than that.  There are hybrid holsters (kydex/leather) on amazon for ~40$ and very high quality IWB full kydex holsters for about 50 bucks.  I would reccomend full kydex or plastic-injection molded.  Here are some links.
Hybrid:  infusedkydex_usa (2259) on ebay 35$+/-
Aliengear:  AlienGear IWB Hybrid 50$+/-
Full kydex IWB:  We the People Holsters 50$+/-

I plan to carry a S&W body guard. It’s a 380 caliber. Which may be all they come in but I’m in the learning phase so that’s what I know. I didn’t pick mine or I would have gone with a sig saur P938 9mm.  Someone in my class had one and I liked it. They advised us to carry the highest caliber gun your comfortable with but I already owned the 380.  My gun collection is what I had left after a divorce.  My other gun is a 9mm ruger and it’s more comfortable to hold and shoot but it’s quite heavy and big.  I do like the bigger magazine.  They taught us our accuracy rate would be 2 out of 10 shots would hit the target, stressed situation assumed, not target practice. First thought was why bother but it’s better than having nothing. 
Its 1,000,000 times more about placement of shots than caliber.  I don't care what the caliber wars rants say, if you shoot someone center chest, the .25" difference in permanent wound cavity wont matter.  In other words, practice and range time would help drastically more than a bigger round...

Sometimes I’d like to swap it all for the sig saur and have nothing but 9mm amo. But I find I like having two guns in my house.  Loaded and ready to go.  One in the living room and the other by my bed.  They also recommend you have some kind of backup so I have knives near them, and in other places.  Plus extra loaded magazines and all hollow point bullets.  I have a small home and the neighbors are close, pius I rent out my basement.  I don’t want the bullets to travel that far. 
If there are kids in the house (or if there are any visitors, really), you need a fast access safe or trigger locks.  Also, a short barreled shotgun makes for an (generally) easier home defense gun IMO.  Pistol is fine, but if you aren't willing to put in the range time, a shotgun makes more sense a lot of the time.

I used to be more nervous but I’m getting more comfortable.  I can load and unload the guns and I practice doing that plus dry shooting, if that’s what it’s called. Not long ago all I knew how to handle was a revolver. 
Use snapcaps for dry firing practice.  And if you are willing to spring for it, a Mantis X system as described above.  If ranges are plentiful / affordable, real range time is hard to beat with dry fire.

I’m going to my brothers farm in the south and I plan to shoot tons of amo.  I read somewhere that you should run several hundred rounds through the gun you plan to carry to make sure it’s reliable.  That’s smart. I do know what I have has barely been used. When I get my money in better order I’d like to visit a range monthly for practice but for now I just handle them at home then set them aside with the safety on.
I would say as a start, 200 rounds standard, 300 rounds from concealment (however you plan to carry) and another 100 strong hand only / 100 weak hand only.  That generally gets you to base-level proficiency with some coaching.  If you can fit that in a weekend, more power to you, but most people benefit from real coaching by an experienced (and proven) shooter (IE not 'cousin eddie who has shot his whole life with bad technique).

Education is key for me and I feel better.  I was in a sticky situation once and I tried to unload a gun, thinking if I pulled back on the top the bullet would pop out, well yeah that’s true except the magazine was full so all I did was put one in the chamber. Ugh. I put the safety on and got out of there.  It was unnerving to say the least and I don’t want that to happen again. Now I know what to do.
As stated above (somewhere), everybody whether they are "into" guns or not needs to know how to unload, secure and handle a firearm safely.  If you have friends who aren't "gun people", you can be a good source of information to help educate the general public (when you are comfortable doing so).

What I need to do more is act like I’m carrying and be aware of the places I visit, notice if they have signs visible or not, most of my favorite stores don’t allow it. I frequent the dog park and I know I can’t carry there. That’s all disappointing. Post offices are a big no no. I go on base a lot but they allow it in your car so that’s good.
Ya thats sad...  LTC (CCW) Holder basically never commit crimes, and gun-free zones are often ignored by those intending to commit crimes.  Its not a good solution, despite how widespread its implementation...
Sources for that statement:
Report on LTC carriers rarely commiting crimes, and basically not committing certain crimes
Raw Texas LTC data on convictions
Article about one of the reports
Article about the (non)likelyhood of a CCW to commit crime compared to LEO
The original (I believe) article about the report

BS Article that someone will probably present as counter-evidence which defines "mass shooting" as three people and expands the data set to over a decade in order to try to prove a point
And...  This article still states the following:
And the overwhelming majority of people who have a concealed carry permit are responsible law-abiding citizens. They will never be involved in a mass shooting in any capacity, either as a good guy or a bad guy with a gun.

Honestly I have an unstable ex that lives a mile away and his mistress or whatever seems nuts to me.  If I’m going to be a victim I’d like to at least go down trying. I watch too much dateline.
Sounds like a great reason to obtain a CCW...

FYI, for some perspective I did some competition shooting at the youth level and my wife has the bodyguard .380 (w/o laser).  Its a great gun overall.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2018, 06:46:50 PM »
Agreed that nothing can substitute for live fire practice.  Dry fire practice is better than nothing, but going to the range is invaluable.  You have to learn how to not flinch while pulling the trigger.

For my work on MantisX, I've been going to the range 2-3x per week and firing a couple hundred rounds each time.  You really learn not to be afraid of the recoil, and that is a huge step.

SharkStomper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2018, 07:29:19 PM »
I almost always carry a Glock 19 and the wife carries my S&W air weight 38 that she's claimed as hers.  We both carry OWB at 4 o'clock in leather holsters that I made.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2018, 08:03:19 PM »
Agreed that nothing can substitute for live fire practice.  Dry fire practice is better than nothing, but going to the range is invaluable.  You have to learn how to not flinch while pulling the trigger.

For my work on MantisX, I've been going to the range 2-3x per week and firing a couple hundred rounds each time.  You really learn not to be afraid of the recoil, and that is a huge step.

Dry fire can help you learn how to not flinch - better yet, have someone else mix snap caps in your magazine with live ammo so you don't know what's where.

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2018, 08:09:01 PM »
Hey Texasrunner, thanks for the thoughtful advice.  I had edited my post and took out some of the “craziness”, didn’t want to appear nuts but it is what it is, an unfortunate truth. But you got it all in your reply. That’s cool.

My Texas CCW expired my last birthday and it was just way too complicated to renew since I didn’t have a TX DL anymore.  But I believe my new one or Florida will cover me I don’t remember but I know Florida is easier to get than Texas.  I’m starting my application tomorrow. It’s time.

The holster I want is designed for yoga pants, soft clothes etc. Its basically a wide elastic belt you wear over any of your clothes.  Since I’m mostly in that style I thought that was best but it’s pricey. That’s another thing to practice, actually drawing your gun from the holster. I’ll do some more research but I imagine it’s harder for women to carry even though mom jeans are coming back lol.

I hadn’t even thought of a shotgun for home defense. I really like that idea.  My house is only 900sq feet so there isnt time to go somewhere and open a safe.  This concerns me in getting a safe. If someone comes in my front door they’re right there in my space. No foyer, halls etc to run to. Getting my gun fast is critical.  I’m alone but I do have my kids over, adults. And I did have a friend over recently and it did occur to me if she would look on top of my bookcase she could see the edge of my gun.   Safes are smart so maybe I’ll get one and put them away for company. That’s seems like the best option. I don’t want to offend anyone either. I’m just worried I couldn’t get my gun quick enough. Another thing to practice.  And buy. Not a cheap sport.

My brother is a career officer and guns are his hobby. I had actually just shot with him and he was teaching me grips etc just three days before my incident but they were loading my gun for me and I was focused on my grip and hitting my target. Pisses me off I couldn’t figure out how to unload the gun and messed it up like it did. My ex told everyone I was trying to set him up to kill himself and that I was suicidal yet I wasn’t the drunk one. It was hell. More motivation to get this stuff right. Guns don’t make me nervous anymore. I’m looking forward to shooting a ton at his place and maybe having some fun shooting some shit up!  I was just dying to shoot my pumpkin last fall but I couldn’t. I gave it to some guys working on my house when they told me they were going hunting.  Shoot my pumpkin please. Lol.

You’re right about educating others. I’ve told my kids about the guns and they’re location and showed them what I learned.  I want to give them the class as a Christmas present.  It was a two day course and I found it very helpful. Much better than the Texas CCW class. 

I’m glad you like the bodyguard. Mine does have the laser but its off a tad.  I point it at my crystal door knobs and make a little light show.

Thanks for your advice.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2018, 08:31:00 PM »
If you're that afraid of someone coming into your house to hurt you that you have multiple firearms, magazines, and knives stashed all over the house, I'd strongly encourage you to do something to make the house itself more secure.

https://lifehacker.com/5887264/how-to-cleverly-secure-your-home-against-intruders

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2018, 08:52:29 PM »
If you're that afraid of someone coming into your house to hurt you that you have multiple firearms, magazines, and knives stashed all over the house, I'd strongly encourage you to do something to make the house itself more secure.

https://lifehacker.com/5887264/how-to-cleverly-secure-your-home-against-intruders

Don’t think that I’m “that afraid” but yes I am concerned, I’ve just had so much craziness recently and it’s opened my eyes a lot. Plus I’m 47 and recently lived alone for the first time in my life. My daughter and husband now rent my basement but we live completely separate, entrances etc. I do like more cars in the driveway. I actually use my garage so it used to look like no one was home. 

Thanks for the link.  I’ve done a lot of that already but there is more. I was thinking of some fake security signs.  Maybe an outside camera.  My ex used to walk a lot at night and with the weather warming up I am concerned he might come around. I could look at the footage and see if he came by.  It’s a small Midwest town and bars are plenty.  So far he’s leaving me alone but it makes me wonder.  I always look around but one night I was letting my dogs out really late and I just went out the door without checking and there was a drunk dude walking down the street.  Scared me but he was perfectly friendly, we exchanged hellos and I just went back inside.  Yeah I guess I’m scared.  Sucks.

It’s only two guns and a few knives.  Well and an asp. Lol

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2018, 05:05:57 AM »
?

I am a recovering 3 gun addict, and having a kid really eats into the time and budget required for it. I trained like 2-3x a week and competed every week. I used to work the matches so I could shoot them for free. I was sponsored by a powder company, so that certainly helped my reloading costs (which is already cheaper than buying factory). I would also win a bunch of prizes and sell them or use them to upgrade my gear over time. As an RO we got to keep brass, so I would stay late, clean up, and have a hundred pounds to sell after some matches. I was pretty hard core into it I guess.

Now I still compete but less frequently, and I still try and get to a local range almost every week if the weather is good. I have switched over to mostly 22s. I buy in bulk or when on sale, but I have set up 22 versions of my competition guns. this allows me to practice almost everything at 1/10th the cost per round. I host the local college's competitive team, so that helps pay for some of my range fees as well.

really, I budget for gun stuff. it's a serious hobby/passion of mine. so I take car of investing, then bills, then saving, then the left overs are mine. works out to maybe 2-300 a month if stuff doesn't come up. Like my lawn mower died, so that will come out of my gun/fun money so I don't need to touch the real emergency fund. So if I want a new gun, I need to save up a while for it. I'm also one of those people that is willing to trade/sell stuff I have to upgrade along the way. I know some people hoard and will never sell, but honestly a few nice things I use beats a pile of things I don't.

as far as carry, I have a few favorites. My most common is a shield 9mm performance center 9mm with TLR light/laser and sometimes a Hyve extended mag. that rides in custom leather, OWB. The other is a Les Baer TRS 45 with larry davidson grips that rides in a matching OWB leather holster. I'm in Texas and have been carrying in FL, PA, and TX for the better part of 15 years (shit that makes me seem old). I am more comfy with OWB and you don't need special pants, so that's nice. custom leather is more comfortable and not much more expensive than cheap kydex, lasts longer, holds it's value, and more comfy means I will more likely have it on when I need it. I'm not an attractive female (neither of those, actually) so I"m pretty sure nobody is looking at my hips when I walk around. I also OC a bit when I feel like it.

I enjoy shooting, working on and building guns, trying new stuff, and training, so I budget for it. If you buy good quality stuff at the a good price, it will hold value. I think guns can be a good store of value rather than just a true expense if you do it right. I sold a couple of things when my wife got cancer and we were trying to buy a house in the same summer, and didn't lose more than like $100. not bad, considering renting guns at the range is like $50 a pop. I wanted my Les Baer for years but waited until I found a worthwhile deal for me.

honestly once you start shooting in huge volume the cost of a gun is nothing. I couldn't decide between a Walther p99 and Glock 19 as my first pistol. the price difference was about $40 which seemed like a lot at the time. Well I splurged and got the p99. That got me into shooting. that got me into competing. That cost me easy $10k in ammunition going through that one pistol. that $40 doesn't super matter long term. :)

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2018, 05:43:59 AM »
Dry fire can help you learn how to not flinch - better yet, have someone else mix snap caps in your magazine with live ammo so you don't know what's where.
+100. I made up some dummy rounds which is much cheaper than snap caps if you have access to reloading gear.

The holster I want is designed for yoga pants, soft clothes etc. Its basically a wide elastic belt you wear over any of your clothes.  Since I’m mostly in that style I thought that was best but it’s pricey. That’s another thing to practice, actually drawing your gun from the holster. I’ll do some more research but I imagine it’s harder for women to carry even though mom jeans are coming back lol.

I hadn’t even thought of a shotgun for home defense. I really like that idea.  My house is only 900sq feet so there isnt time to go somewhere and open a safe.  This concerns me in getting a safe. If someone comes in my front door they’re right there in my space. No foyer, halls etc to run to. Getting my gun fast is critical.
There are a variety of carry options for women that you can find but it depends on your shape, etc on which one(s) may work best for you and your firearm.

Frankly, I would always carry it, even in the house, especially given the concerns you have highlighted. If you subscribe to the Active Self Protection channel on youtube (which I highly recommend), you'll learn one of the lessons many people (esp women) don't follow is have your tools on your body (not in a purse, for example) or next to your bed if sleeping at all times. If someone were to break in and you weren't sitting next to your firearm, you likely wouldn't be able to get to it in time.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2018, 06:07:04 AM »
@steviesterno thanks for chiming in! I’m currently having a hard time deciding how much $ I’m willing to put into it given the rest of our financial priorities. My next purchase will likely be a .22 target pistol, currently narrowed down to either SW Victory or a version of the Browning Buckmark. Don’t like the Ruger designs much. I figure this will be a nice cheaper range toy for my practicing as well as a good way to start introducing my wife and kids (I’ll eventually also get a .22 rifle but I’m more familiar with pistols).

@Awesomeness I’ll +1 topshot’s recommendation of the Active Self Protection channel. My favorite channel to learn from.

I’ll bring up a couple points of concern with some of your posts:

-The holster you’re describing sounds like it’s soft-sided? I’d worry about something being able to get into the trigger guard, which is quite dangerous if you carry round in the chamber as is recommended. I think Crossbreed carries a belly band style holster that has some kydex for more safety around the trigger, but folks like the guy on the ASP channel have issues with hybrid holsters altogether. 

-I’ve not shot small .380 guns, only small 9mm ones. Small guns are often much more challenging to shoot, both because they’re harder to control and they recoil much more. So if you struggle a lot, consider that a bigger gun is typically easier to shoot, even if you only use the bigger gun as a range tool to develop your skills.

-when it comes to practicing, dry fire regularly is good, and I find short range sessions of 100-150 rounds max done frequently much more helpful than one big shoot day once in a great while.

$150 for CCW is steep, yikes. Mine was only $40 and has reciprocity with a lot of the states I travel to, though sadly the states I spend the most time in because of family are quite difficult to get a permit for (MD and NJ).

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2018, 05:17:18 PM »
I can't carry anymore as I live in NJ and am no longer in law enforcement so state laws apply to me again...but I went to a friend's place out of state over the weekend and reminded myself I can still shoot (we ran through a few handguns and several rifles).  It was a good time...felt like home. pic

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2018, 08:06:11 PM »
Just watched several of those videos. Good stuff.  Y’all are great. Got the application started. Ended up having to phone it in. The website wouldn’t load and keep all my recent address, I had nine the last ten years. Lol.  I hit next and it logs me out and takes me to the sign in page. Do it again and hit save and the same thing.  So I’ll get my paper application in the mail, sign it, submit a pic and my training certificate and the wait begins.

The holster is all elastic, I’ll look into more options. I do know the bodyguard has the really hard trigger pull and I always keep one in the chamber but the safety is on.  I’ll practice drawing and turning that safety off. 

I really want the license for walks or being in my yard or garage.  More worried about a “personal” attack than random. I did have my purse stolen out of my hand but that was 30 years ago. 

Stuff is getting close to home so they say. My son is at Texas Tech and he was there on lockdown when that student shot and killed that campus police officer last October.  No one with him was carrying but his friends were hiding with a couple students that had guns. The campus allows them to carry but not keep them in the dorms.

I lived in MD not far from the Great Mills HS.  My friend works in that district and her school was where the parents were meeting to get their kids.  Shook her up. It was a hard day.  Tough stuff to say the least.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2018, 10:13:41 AM »

$150 for CCW is steep, yikes. Mine was only $40 and has reciprocity with a lot of the states I travel to, though sadly the states I spend the most time in because of family are quite difficult to get a permit for (MD and NJ).

You all are very lucky!  In my county, it costs at least $404 for a 2-year permit.  And that's if you can get it.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2018, 10:27:19 AM »
It is expensive to get in NY (about $200 between fees, training and fingerprints) but it's good for life.  I'd have a hard time paying a recurring fee.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2018, 01:52:35 PM »

I preordered one from my local shop and it should be shipping out around June.  It's pretty amazing how it's able to hold 10 rounds in such a small package.  I may open up a cash back credit card to get the gun a little cheaper.

Once it arrives can you please share your thoughts and experiences.  I am very interested in the gun but waiting for all the kinks to be figured out and fixed if there are any.

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2018, 03:27:06 PM »

You all are very lucky!  In my county, it costs at least $404 for a 2-year permit.  And that's if you can get it.

150$ and it’s good for 5 years, bummer is the renewal is 150$ as well, I hope you don’t need to take the class again but you probably do. I got the class for 99$ which I was happy to pay, regular price was 175$ but they had a special. 

rlogue06

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2018, 09:44:03 PM »
Sig p938 & Glock 26 - much more comfortable to carry the Sig, but I really feel like the Glock is touch to beat. 

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2018, 04:32:20 AM »
I find anyone’s following the story about YouTube cracking down on gun videos, should really read the Facebook posts from InRangeTV and Forgotten Weapons. Karl and Ian are making YouTube look like massive tools considering YouTube is littered with easily videos featuring actually illegal activity. Those are two of my favorite channels, very level headed guys free from a lot of the inflammatory rhetoric a lot of gun channels get into.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2018, 06:49:50 AM »
It is expensive to get in NY (about $200 between fees, training and fingerprints) but it's good for life.  I'd have a hard time paying a recurring fee.

My wife let hers expire because of the recurring fee.  She really only used it to make carrying the weapon to/from the range more stress free anyways (non-CCW transport law requirements with her type of car really aren't compatible, but we can just use my car).

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2018, 06:54:47 AM »
WI has a recurring fee, but the renewal is every 5 years and I’m pretty sure it’s only $20, mainly to cover cost of background check.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2018, 08:09:05 AM »
We can open carry without a permit, bought the lifetime conceal carry permit when they became available, was only $75.  Hunt and shoot all the time, always have a gun somewhere pretty close and handy.   We live in the country so I can do all of the shooting I want in the back yard, no need to go to a range, however I am a member of a gun club.   Typical carry gun is either a Walther P-22 or Colt Woodsman .22.   Prefer the .22's because they are light and compact, cheap to shoot, and more often than not they are being used to dispatch a coon or coyote, or just plinking.

I don't fear bad guys and rarely walk around with a concealed hand gun, keep one in the truck and always have something handy around home.   Not much violent crime around here, but I do get a little edgy when overnighting in a big city or someplace foreign to me, so usually stick a pistol in my bag.

Guns are kind of my thing, probably own 50 or more and have enough ammo laying around to outfit a couple swat teams.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2018, 11:21:56 PM »
So I made it out to the NRA show today.  Figured there are a few on here that might be interested in that (and that this was a good thread to mention it in).

Great show!  Got to see a ton of cool products and things in person that you normally don't get the chance to handle before buying online.  One of which being the Mantis-X System (which a did buy one.  Excited for the training tool!)

A close up of some of the cooler stuffs.

Also got 'on the board' for the mantis-X system.  92.2/100.  :)
@zolotiyeruki I didn't wander around aimlessly and ask "Who here is on MMM" (lol) so I don't think I got to meet you (if you were there), but great product!  The app is really smooth and it looks like you guys listen to suggestions because I re-iterated the "add notes" feature and it's already been pushed out on the platform.  Nice work.

And met John Correia of the YouTube Channel "active Self Protection".  Good stuff.

Also, found out I'm not even remotely Internet Anon anymore, so no biggie with the pictures.  Some here might like them.

Cheers!

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2018, 11:36:29 PM »

Once it arrives can you please share your thoughts and experiences.  I am very interested in the gun but waiting for all the kinks to be figured out and fixed if there are any.

@Full_Beard Have you been able to try out the P365?  I held one today at the show and it fit like a glove....  Seemed really well built with a nice crisp pull.
Any thoughts on how it shoots?

We can go to PM if you want.

Thanks!