Author Topic: Mustachian Cat People - Need Some Advice  (Read 5807 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Mustachian Cat People - Need Some Advice
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2020, 11:07:04 AM »
You are all making me very happy with Misty.  She was eating Crave, no litter box issues.  I give some with water and the rest dry.  I buy Pure Snacks treats (it comes in freeze dried chicken, shrimp and salmon) and she LOVES them.   It's a bit pricey, but pure meat, no additives.

fdubz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2021, 01:55:00 PM »
Great to hear the update!  And I you should certainly not feel bad about adopting an "easily adoptable" cat.  Like you said, he has been a heavy (though of course completely worthy!) financial burden and other adopters may not have been willing or able to do what you have done for him.  I think he found the perfect home!

Sorry to hear about the digestive issues.  I have heard good things about the brand Weruva, but my cats will not eat it. Picky picky.

@Sibley I had to tag you after talking about how our babies love the sink/shower drizzle.  I bought an AquaPurr fountain for their Christmas present. It has been worth every penny!! They love it and drink a ton of water.  I bought it directly from the Aquapurr website (the owner/inventor, Steve was SUPER helpful and responsive).  It's available on Amazon, too.   Best to google it and see it in action, but the gist is, it mimics the dripping/running faucet, but only comes on when the cats are beside it.  My 2 girls know exactly how it works and constantly turn it on for themselves.  And we're no longer wasting water by forgetting to turn the faucet off!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2021, 06:07:29 PM »
I was going to post, but going to echo frankie's girl. My last cat lived to just shy of 20, (from chronic kidney failure).  We didn't know what we were doing so she got almost all dry food (purina) until she started losing her teeth (she had eisinopilic granuloma dx as a kitten) so the last 4? Years of her life pretty much all wet. We now know that having cats be well hydrated is important. With our newest kitty, she gets nulo (cat and kitten grain free turkey and cod) meal for dry food in am, and 1/3-1/2 can friskies pate for dinner meal. The Nulo might be overkill but she loves it and she seems healthy with really glossy fur.  Also we started putting a bowl of water in the bathroom so she has 2 bowls of water
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 07:16:43 PM by partgypsy »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2021, 06:39:13 PM »
Great to hear the update!  And I you should certainly not feel bad about adopting an "easily adoptable" cat.  Like you said, he has been a heavy (though of course completely worthy!) financial burden and other adopters may not have been willing or able to do what you have done for him.  I think he found the perfect home!

Sorry to hear about the digestive issues.  I have heard good things about the brand Weruva, but my cats will not eat it. Picky picky.

@Sibley I had to tag you after talking about how our babies love the sink/shower drizzle.  I bought an AquaPurr fountain for their Christmas present. It has been worth every penny!! They love it and drink a ton of water.  I bought it directly from the Aquapurr website (the owner/inventor, Steve was SUPER helpful and responsive).  It's available on Amazon, too.   Best to google it and see it in action, but the gist is, it mimics the dripping/running faucet, but only comes on when the cats are beside it.  My 2 girls know exactly how it works and constantly turn it on for themselves.  And we're no longer wasting water by forgetting to turn the faucet off!

Good to know. I actually put the fountain away because it was being shunned so completely. Arwen's drinking quite a bit from a bowl, and I'm about to screw up her world again so I don't want to change anything I don't need to (rehoming Rosie on Friday :(, and then at the end of March my parents and their 2 cats are coming to live with me until they find their own place).

fdubz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2021, 07:29:36 AM »
@Sibley I hope your merging of cat households goes smoothly. I know from experience that can be very stressful, for both you and Arwen!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2021, 08:15:15 AM »
@Sibley I hope your merging of cat households goes smoothly. I know from experience that can be very stressful, for both you and Arwen!

@fdubz thank you. Everyone will arrive in about a month. Luckily, it'll be temporary so if necessary we can keep the cats separated until my parents find and move into their own place. Arwen is currently an only and is starting to realize that I'm boring though, so she might appreciate some company.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2021, 04:44:17 PM »
I feed mine fancy feast wet, and young again dry.  (The dry is a small US company that makes one of the few diabetic cat friendly dry foods while I lost my diabetic I feed it to my younger cat since he’s been eating it for years.). I do think a high quality dry is generally more cost effective overall.  While you might think sticker shock on the higher quality dry foods, cats generally eat less of a high quality so it ends up being cheaper.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!