Author Topic: Mustachian Breakfast Ideas  (Read 26852 times)

DavidGalloway

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • DavidGalloway.net
Mustachian Breakfast Ideas
« on: February 29, 2012, 07:05:02 AM »
Yes, hot cereals (oatmeal, cream of wheat/farina, grits, etc.) are the most economical breakfasts out there, but I wanted to see what my fellow Mustachians consumed in the mornings.

This morning I had a bagel ($0.60 from the supermarket bakery) with $0.26 in peanut butter (B1G1 Skippy Natural @1.89 for 15oz = $0.13/oz) and a medium banana $0.25) pretty tasty and only $1.11. I did overindulge and bought a bottle of fresh carrot juice for $3, which I'll spread into 2 servings so my total breakfast price is $2.61, but not too bad and fairly healthy to boot.

What did you guys/gals have?

onehappypanda

• Stubble
Re: Mustachian Breakfast Ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 07:18:04 AM »
Oatmeal with a scoop of peanut butter mixed in and a banana on the side.

My other go-to breakfast is scrambled eggs with a "green smoothie"- usually spinach, frozen fruit, and a banana blended.

retirementbound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 07:55:33 AM »
1/2 whole wheat english muffin with 1 tbsp of homemade organic peanut butter (a little pricier than store-bought non-organic pb at $4.99/batch, but I really like being able to control what goes into it, I think it tastes better, and making it is pretty fun too). I plan on trying to make the english muffins at home soon, too.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 08:00:35 AM »
We've made this granola recipe a few times. This morning, we ate it with scrambled eggs. Otherwise, we eat mostly oatmeal, and pancakes on Saturdays.

Mike Key

• Stubble
  • Entrepreneur & Adventure Seeker
    • Tiny House - Big Backyard
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:59:25 AM »
Eggs and Kale or Eggs and Asparagus. I used to love Oatmeal but I currently avoid wheats like the plague.

tannybrown

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 09:04:26 AM »
I usually eat an apple.

Mrs MM

• Administrator
  • Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 09:06:06 AM »
Technically, oatmeal doesn't contain wheat.  Oat is a grain that is separate from wheat.  My understanding is that if you have celiac (which my brother does) then you should avoid oatmeal since it may be harvested and milled with wheat, resulting in cross contamination.  So, obviously if you're sensitive to wheat, you should avoid oats.

I eat a banana with peanut butter (real peanut butter!) first thing, get my son off to school, and then have a second breakfast at around 9:30 or 10:00 usually involving eggs mixed with veggies.

shedinator

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 09:13:07 AM »
I don't do breakfast, my wife has a thing for Kashi, and my son's a waffle/pancake/french toast addict, so our morning eating habits are not particularly moustachioed. However, I do make a pretty awesome granola out of oats, honey, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and nuts, which is quite delicious. If we bought most of our stuff at Costco and made it in bulk for breakfasts (rather than small batches to provide snack-fodder for a week or two), I think it would come down to around $0.50/serving, and be far less boring than plain ol' oatmeal.

Jarvis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 09:36:28 AM »
I eat a healthy and quick breakfast every day. 

It's a shake made with:

-Frozen berries, any kind
-Greek yogurt (high in protein, low in carbs makes this the healthiest of yogurts)
-Natural peanut butter (delicious)
-Oatmeal (adds fiber, which I found I really needed)
-Whey protein powder (technically optional, but hopefully everyone is exercising and lifting heavy weights, so you need some protein)

This breakfast has been part of my weekday morning routine for 3 years, and I'm planning on continuing for a long time.  It tastes awesome, and takes 2-3 minutes to make, and 1-2 minutes to drink.  Slam a vitamin and a few fish oil capsules, and I started my day on a super healthy note.

I use a magic bullet to make it - a handy blender product that can be purchased at a reasonable price.  This is extremely convenient since I'm making them in single servings every day.

If you're not consistently eating a healthy breakfast, I urge you to try this routine.  It's awesome!

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 09:44:58 AM »
How about leftovers? This morning I had half a beef and bean enchilada with mixed veggies that was leftover from last night's dinner. Wheat tortilla, lean roast beef, homemade pureed beans, 2 TB cheese and light sour cream so it wasn't too bad for me. :D I would prefer to eat dinner foods for breakfast every day but I don't often have much time in the morning to sit down with a fork and knife.
I'm another one who does the banana and skippy natural thing. I like mine on a piece of wheat bread and call it a banana dog. I think I ate a thousand of these during my months of morning sickness. It really gives you all your essentials.
I eat a simple, small breakfast most days, usually buttered whole grain toast, fruit and coffee with almond milk. I then eat a higher protein snack about 2 hours later usually yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts or a smoothie. I kinda call it all my breakfast even though it's split up.
I'm borderline hypoglycemic so I really cannot handle cereals, even the plain stuff and peanut butter oatmeal. I crash about a half hour later. They're overpriced anyway.
The kids eat toast, homemade baked goods, pizza, eggs, pbj's or waffles for breakfast. I keep a good supply in the freezer. And always fruit and milk. ;)

TLV

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 10:31:12 AM »
I keep costco-sized bags of oatmeal and brown sugar in my office at work, and they provide free drinks (including milk and fruit juices). When I eat breakfast at home, I usually have scrambled eggs on toast (from homemade whole wheat bread) with a dash of hot sauce.

HumanAfterAll

• Stubble
  • Targeting 2021
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 11:12:52 AM »
One fried egg and cheese sandwich on toast, and coffee. 

For coffee I'm using an AeroPress, which is awesome, the only downside being that it uses a little more coffee beans than other methods.  But, my sweet lady got me an air popper and some green beans, so I've been experimenting with roasting beans at home.  So much fun, and the flavor!  It's amazing what fresh coffee really tastes like. 

Is there already a home coffee roasting topic here?  I'll start looking...

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 06:45:14 PM »
On Sunday morning I make half a dozen Chinese tea eggs http://appetiteforchina.com/recipes/chinese-tea-eggs/
and a dozen whole grain muffins http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/muffins.htm

Mon - Sat breakfast is one tea egg, one muffin, a piece of fruit and a glass of milk plus coffee or tea.

Sometimes I put fruit in the muffin to make an even more convenient breakfast.

Jarvis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 07:07:25 PM »
On Sunday morning I make half a dozen Chinese tea eggs http://appetiteforchina.com/recipes/chinese-tea-eggs/
and a dozen whole grain muffins http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/muffins.htm

Mon - Sat breakfast is one tea egg, one muffin, a piece of fruit and a glass of milk plus coffee or tea.

Sometimes I put fruit in the muffin to make an even more convenient breakfast.

Those sound awesome - going to try Chinese tea eggs soon :)

foodguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 07:48:34 PM »
3 eggs fried in bacon fat.
3 sausage patties - fried
2 servings of grits - with butter
2 pieces of whole wheat toast - with strawberry jam.

Cost unknown, and I don't care.  It tasted amazing.

dancedancekj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 10:16:59 PM »
Freshly brewed coffee with a splash of half and half (no sugar, sometimes a flavored coffee) is my breakfast most of the time. I might have a banana or a handful of almonds, but generally I don't tend to eat breakfast, since it actually only usually makes me hungry before lunch.

I will, of course, pig out at lunch. And I will usually eat and eat and eat when I either get home from work, or later on in the day.

MMM

• Administrator
  • Stubble
    • Mr. Money Mustache
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 09:16:46 AM »
Oh yeah, I should add that my breakfast these days is like this:

First breakfast at 7:30 - I make fancy foamed-make Lattes for the lady and myself, and I also eat a large handful of almonds and a banana (possibly with peanut butter)

Second breakfast at 9:00 after biking my son to school - two fried eggs with some slices of cheese, or for higher-activity days, a large bowl of oats with fruit on top, and medium-fat milk (2% on average).

I tend to avoid wheat for breakfast, since it makes my belly a little bloated. Also, when trying to lose fat, I'll stick to the eggs and skip the cereal. When planning (or recovering from) a big workout or bike ride, the oats come in to provide extra calories.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:51:32 AM by MMM »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 11:31:41 AM »
MODERATOR NOTE: Debate about eating breakfast or not split off to this topic: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/re-mustachian-breakfast-ideas/  This thread will be for Mustachian Breakfast Ideas.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

dancedancekj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 12:15:51 PM »
Oh yeah, I should add that my breakfast these days is like this:

First breakfast at 7:30 - I make fancy foamed-make Lattes for the lady and myself, and I also eat a large handful of almonds and a banana (possibly with peanut butter)

Second breakfast at 9:00 after biking my son to school - two fried eggs with some slices of cheese, or for higher-activity days, a large bowl of oats with fruit on top, and medium-fat milk (2% on average).

I tend to avoid wheat for breakfast, since it makes my belly a little bloated. Also, when trying to lose fat, I'll stick to the eggs and skip the cereal. When planning (or recovering from) a big workout or bike ride, the oats come in to provide extra calories.

Haha, I'm laughing at "second breakfast". What an awesome concept!
I also really love bananas with peanut butter or almond butter. Easy to toss a jar of nut butter with a banana (or three if I'm feeling especially hungry) into my work bag if I don't have time to eat breakfast in the morning.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 04:07:43 PM »
I usually eat 6 to 9 small meals a day, so there's a definitely a couple of breakfasts involved.

Recently, I've been having fried rice for breakfast a lot: fry bacon/ham, onion, and ginger in a little oil in a wok over medium-high, add cold cooked rice and a dash of salt, stir and scrape; heat a separate frypan and fry a couple of eggs. Add a dash of soy to the rice, plop it on plates, put eggs on top, a little sambal on the eggs. Protein and fat!

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 03:42:39 AM »
I make an oatmeal concoction:

1 cup oatmeal
1.5 scoops protein powder
a few packets of Splenda
a few spoonfuls of powdered milk
unflavored creatine powder

mix all that up dry, then add about a cup of water, mix it up

then add 3 eggs, whip it all up and throw it in the microwave for 1:30, take it out and stir it up again, put it back in for a minute, stir, :30, stir, another :30, and you have some awesome oatmeal with protein.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 07:31:34 AM »
Mostly I eat toast.  Sometimes I make oatmeal.  The toast is about 1/2 the time from homemade bread (bread machine), and half the time storebought.

I like to have a slice with egg and/or cheese, and one with almond butter from the farmer's market ($8 a jar, but SOOOO good).

I also bought some buttermilk over easter to make cinnamon rolls, but then I had leftover buttermilk.  So I made rosemary - cheese scones, and have been eating those.  Well last night I was going to make bread, but realized that I had more buttermilk expiring yesterday, so I made lemon poppyseed scones. That's today's breakfast, with probably an egg or almond butter.

I have a morning snack at work that it either plain yogurt and fruit or a nut bar/nuts and fruit.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 07:54:34 AM »
I usually don't eat much for breakfast, but when I'm able to be home with the kids it's always pancakes or crepes.  The pancakes are made with whole wheat flour we grind ourselves, and I'll make a triple batch and keep bags of them in the fridge for them to toast when I'm not around.  But lately they have been begging for crepes, so I make a huge batch of them.  The crepes are mostly egg which is great, though they get plenty of sugar from the maple syrup that goes on top.  We go through three gallons of maple syrup a year, which we get from a friend with lots of the right trees.  The kids love to go help collect sap in the spring, but this was a really rotten year for maple syrup around here.

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 06:02:23 PM »
Make your own granola, mix with some cheap O's, a cut up banana, and some yogurt.  Yum!

Here's the granola recipe I use:

3 cups rolled oats
3 tbsp brown sugar
¼ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup honey
¼ cup canola oil (or applesauce, for more clusters)
1 tsp vanilla

In a large bowl, mix oats, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon.  In another bowl mix honey, oil, and vanilla.  Dump honey mixture onto oats mixture and thoroughly combine, possibly using your hands.  Preheat the oven to 300 degrees (F) and lay out your granola on a baking sheet.  Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.  After it has cooled, add in nuts or raisins or whatever you want.

rk2012

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2012, 06:30:10 PM »
My breakfast every morning for the past couple years has been 4 organic or pasture eggs with some salt and pepper, fried in a tiny amount of coconut oil. The protein keeps me pretty full until lunch. I avoid any grains or oats at breakfast. Comes to about $1.25. On the weekends I sometimes have plain greek yogurt, with some homemade strawberry preserves and a cut up banana. That's probably closer to $2.

Phundit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 02:11:27 PM »
I buy eggs in stacks of 5 dozen, get chili peppers and onions as cheap as possible at the nearest Food4Less, then chop em up and cook them on the stovetop with butter or a bit of oil. Add five or six eggs, cook, sprinkle with cheese and tapatio sauce, and voila. Tons of protein on the cheap, with a bit of veggies for you as well.

Perhaps not the healthiest, but very nutritious.

Sparky

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 04:58:41 PM »
I'm a little opposite in my eating habits and generally eat breakfast as a very large meal, often my largest meal of the day.

I personally love eating pancakes, waffles and french toast, usually with a pile of fruit (apples, berries when seasonally cheap, random asian fruit) and usually 2 to 4 eggs. Works out to about 2.50 a meal, but a lot of food. Also love to eat leftover pasta for breakfast from previous meals.

Not a big fan of oatmeal.

sideways8

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 06:36:19 PM »
I like oatmeal but I use it more as an occasional treat/desert type deal (or to put something in my tummy when I'm feeling queasy yet hungry). I NEED protein in the  morning and don't do too well on meals that are too starchy/high in carbs, especially "refined" stuff. Makes me way too sleepy! I'd love to have fried eggs (and bacon!) or an omelette every morning but I hate waking up early so I usually end up having dinner leftovers for breakfast.

Sparky

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 09:49:17 AM »
Another cheap breakfast I like to eat (made it this morning) is frying up a big baker potato with some oil, garlic and chilli peppers with a side of eggs and a piece of fruit. Very cheap and tasty.

R62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 09:09:11 PM »
We grow our own strawberries, and each year freeze several gallons of them (cut and sugared) in small boxes.  Breakfast during the work week is usually yogurt with strawberries, or maybe with other fruit which I canned the summer before.  Top with a drizzle of honey and some home-made granola if we've got it.  Very tasty, quite portable, and relatively inexpensive (although I do resort to buying yogurt - have yet to make a batch with which I've been satisfied).   DH likes a home-made muffin along with his; I prefer to chase mine with a few salty pretzels. 

Weekends we splurge:  bacon, eggs and pancakes at home at least one of the days (omelet and spuds, or hot cereal, the other).

CptPoo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I play music and stuff
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2012, 10:18:33 AM »
I currently have a good selection of frozen fruit that I have gathered from my dumpster diving adventures. I like to combine a couple of handfuls of assorted fruit with a half cup of oat meal and some milk. I find that this fills me up very well and tastes awesome. My favorite fruit combination is blueberry and strawberry, but I also use bananas and peanut butter sometimes.

herisff

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 10:28:47 AM »
I ran out of oats the other day and so used quinoa as my take-to-work breakfast grain. It was amazing with dried cranberries, and is definitely going into the rotation.

StashinIt

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 08:24:27 AM »
I was thinking about asking this same question but used the search feature instead. Yep, already covered. Yay me!

My usual fare is one of the following:

• bagel with cream cheese
  • Raisin Bran cereal
  • 1 or 2 hard-boiled eggs (I usually make a dozen and eat them over several days)

Unfortunately I am out of all of these. Leftovers this morning. We do have oatmeal that my wife eats (and I generally avoid) maybe I'll give it a try.

Main requirements for my breakfast are fast and simple. The toaster is about all the effort I'll put into it.

frugalcalan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2012, 09:34:53 AM »
I'm both dieting and working out in muscle intense ways... and I'm pretty sure I'm not getting enough protein (I'm getting under 100g a day, and I currently weigh 242lbs).  And I don't think I'm getting enough complex carbs (since I have pretty much stopped eating bread/pasta/rice/potatoes since it's so easy to over eat those things)  So I think eventually I'm going to make protein oatmeal.  Haven't done it, but I think it will go something like this:

1. Cook steel cut oats

2. Mix in some of this protein powder which comes in cinnamon roll flavor:http://www.gasparinutrition.com/products/myofusion-pro/

3. Put in 5 small containers, so I have breakfast for the week sorted out

Should be pretty cheap and healthy.

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2012, 09:58:11 AM »
Toast and peanut butter with a cup of tea. 

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »
I eat oatmeal for breakfast and lunch. I ran out of the quick oats I can make in the microwave so I cooked up a box of steel cut and brought that in. Sometimes I cut up an apple or fruit to put in, but usually it's just some honey and salt. PB sounds pretty good, I'll have to try that.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2012, 10:26:52 AM »
I'm going to try those Chinese tea eggs - they sound great.

I eat breakfast/lunch at 11am.  Mostly leftovers from dinner reheated or leftover soup (I make a large pot of something each week).  Sometimes I make a quick soup for breakfast with sweet potatoes, frozen wontons, an egg and some kale in chicken broth with some pepper, hot sauce, cilantro and green onion.  Very fast and filling and not expensive.  I also make quick wraps with refried beans, cheese, salsa, and cilantro.

For my kids I make a variety of muffins, mini pizzas and fresh fruit for breakfast.  Keep forgetting to try out a smoothie for them.

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2012, 11:34:32 AM »
I've been trying to do the Paleo diet and it's turned out to be somewhat mustachian for breakfast. I usually have a cup of unsweetened juice or water with a handful of carrots, a handful of spinach, a few frozen berry's and some almonds and maybe any other veggie we have lying around to make a quick and tasty veggie drink. Then I'll have a couple of cage free boiled eggs. This usually holds me till lunch which is about a pound of salad.

I suppose if I break it down for a actual cost it's not more than a buck or maybe a little more since we make enough for two people.

SweetTPi

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2012, 12:00:55 PM »
I'm a night owl who has to be at work by 7AM, so breakfast for me has to be auto-pilot grab-n-go.  I eat yogurt every morning, with variety in what I put on it.  This is what I throw together then haul to work with me:

Fat Free plain yogurt with a scoop of vanilla protein power with either (A) banana or (B) no sugar added applesauce with a few shakes of cinnamon.

I've been thinking about switching over to plain Greek yogurt instead of regular, but I can't seem to mentally justify the cost difference since I put protein powder into it anyway.

StetsTerhune

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2012, 05:02:38 AM »
I try to move as much of my morning routine as possible to the office, so that I don't spend time at home on things that I can be paid for doing at work. Unfortunately, we don't have microwaves or fridges at work, so we're limited on what we can make. My breakfast is then usually: green tea (hot water from the water cooler, which isn't hot enough too make good black tea), quick oats (again, hot water, and a salt packet pilfered from the cafeteria), if I'm still hungry I'll get greek yogurt from the grocery store next to work. 90 cents.

Healthy, filling, and cheap

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2012, 07:27:37 AM »
At the moment it's store bought Granola but that's only because I'm on the road. Usually it's porridge - oatmeal milk done in the microwave, maple syrup (brought back from Canada - otherwise insanely expensive)

Rather boring

Of yeah a lathe most important part of it

caligulala

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2012, 08:11:10 AM »
Made the tea eggs last night. Very tasty! Thanks for posting the recipe. I'd never heard of them before!

JanMN

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2012, 08:22:26 AM »
These are great ideas!
I generally have coffee in the morning and a bit of breakfast- fruit, toast, oatmeal, something.  Then at about 10:30 am I'll have a snack of last night's leftovers (I guess that's that second breakfast :-)  Then another snack at 2:30ish.  Then a small dinner at 6-7pm with my DH.  It works for me, no issues with weight gain, but it's an odd schedule...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 08:36:06 AM by JanMN »

gitstash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2012, 01:59:13 PM »
I do green smoothies.  About 60% fruit and 40% leafy greens plus water and blend.  If you buy the large greens containers and have trouble using all of it before it goes bad, you can freeze the greens.  I've frozen raw kale, spinach and the spring mix and it works great.  Costco has a large bag of blueberries for $10 that has enough to make smoothies for a couple weeks.  Super healthy and not too expensive.  Also make sure you rotate your greens, it's not good to eat the same greens day in and day out.  You can supplement this with eggs or nuts if you need more calories.

DreamingofFreedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2012, 09:48:51 AM »
I often make bean omelets.  It may sound a little odd, but I make a pot of black beans with onions and cumin on the weekend.  That makes a great filling for omelets- it adds protein and fiber at a cheaper price than a meat filling.  Top with a little salsa and/or cheese.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2012, 12:07:14 PM »
I often make bean omelets.  It may sound a little odd, but I make a pot of black beans with onions and cumin on the weekend.  That makes a great filling for omelets- it adds protein and fiber at a cheaper price than a meat filling.  Top with a little salsa and/or cheese.
I do black bean omelets too -- black beans even go into hashbrowns and leave the dish tasting pretty good. I've been meaning to make refried beans to have huevos rancheros for breakfast, too, but I just never seem to get around to it.

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2012, 11:57:16 AM »
I like dinner leftovers for breakfast, and eat that if it's available.  I've never liked oatmeal very much and I don't eat anything that's sweetened.  I eat two breakfasts like some of you mentioned.  My second (at work) breakfast usually looks something like this:

1. some type of fruit
2. plain yogurt with ground flax and chia seed (or some cheese instead)
3. a whole grain or nut 

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2012, 02:35:46 PM »
OK, apparently Mustachians are really not into boxed cereal. But I admit, I grew up with it, I love it, and I'm not giving it up anytime soon.

My breakfast: a small bowl of generic Grape-Nuts with milk. Milk is one of the food items that is shared among housemates so I pay for it whether I drink it or not - there's a very low marginal cost anyways. If I paid for it myself, the milk would be roughly $0.25/serving. A box of my brand of generic Grape-Nuts is $2.69 and lasts me roughly three weeks - probably 15 bowls, or $0.17/serving, for a total of $0.42/day.

"Second breakfast" is a fruit or vegetable eaten as a snack at work.

I must be doing something right, as my total food spending has been around $100/month...

Debbie M

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2012, 03:48:17 PM »
Chocolate milk.  No, it doesn't last, but I'm always hungry two hours later no matter what I eat.  Chocolate milk is something I'm always in the mood for (I microwave the 12 ounces for 2 minutes if I want something hot), it starts me on my calcium for the day, it has protein, and it makes it easier for me to remember to swallow any pills that need swallowing.

It's semi-mustachian.  I make it with milk and home-made chocolate syrup (1 cup sugar, 1 cup cocoa, 1 cup water, heated until the sugar dissolves).

On a work day, I have pretzels for a snack to hold me until lunch.  These are not so mustachian--spelt pretzels (so they have some fiber) bought at a store.  On a weekday, I usually just start in with leftovers after that for mini meals when I get hungry.

Sometimes I make up a big batch of banana chocolate chip pancakes on the weekend and eat them all week (with milk).  (These are homemade with whole wheat pastry flour that I do not grind up myself, eggs, various dairy products, leaveners, and of course bananas and chocolate chips.  The bananas can be left out or something else squishy like sweet potatoes can be subbed.  The dairy products can be mixed-and-matched: milk, yogurt, sour cream.)  I also sometimes make French toast on the weekend.  Omelets I'm more likely to have for dinner.  Normally I make just cheese omlets, but I like my mom's chili omelets with queso on top and her cheese omelets with chili on top.  I also like just mixing a couple of (microwaved) frozen veggie sausages with scrambled eggs and cheese.

I do like oatmeal and finally figured out how to recreate my favorite flavor (cinnamon and spice), but haven't had it in a while for some reason.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2012, 07:18:29 PM »
OK, apparently Mustachians are really not into boxed cereal. But I admit, I grew up with it, I love it, and I'm not giving it up anytime soon.
I eat boxed cereal sometimes for breakfast, and sometimes as an evening snack.  The key for me is buying on sale, and I try to always keep a couple of boxes in reserve in case the kinds I want aren't on sale for a while. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!