Author Topic: Mustachian band for unmustachian watch?  (Read 5114 times)

Bettis

• Stubble
Mustachian band for unmustachian watch?
« on: March 12, 2015, 06:42:16 AM »
Not sure if there are any watch experts out there but about 5 years ago, I purchased a Citizen Eco Drive 8651 watch.  Link to google image picture below if that is allowed.  If not, I'll edit it out.

http://images.bidorbuy.co.za/user_images/346/598346_100602155308_AP1021-54L1.jpg

I got a "great" deal on it but with that deal came the fact that the leather band was faded and ended up cracking very quickly.  It is still wearable for now but I do want to replace the band before it completely splits.  I know if I go through Citizen, I'll spend an arm and a leg but I really like my extremities.  Anyone know what bands are compatible?  I prefer blue leather or "leather" but metal is fine too.

Grimrivet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Mustachian band for unmustachian watch?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 07:03:49 AM »
I'm just going to throw it out there that this is the prime opportunity for a DIY leather project.  I made my last couple bands using the hardware from the band that wore out and just a few dollars in leather and waxed thread from my local leather shop. 
Cheers!

lise

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 07:20:09 AM »
friend went to etsy.com

did a lot of browsing around and reached out to a vendor that had an aesthetic he liked to get something custom to fit watch (vintage rolex).   
was very reasonably priced. 

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 08:48:31 AM »
Watch bands tend to be pretty standardized as far as size is concerned. Just measure the distance between the attachment points (in millimeters) and find a replacement band that's the right size. I got a decent leather band from Amazon for around $10 when my own excessively fancy watch's original band wore out.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 10:21:14 AM »
I got a replacement band at the little watch repair shop in my area. I've had my Citizen watch for 20 years - replaced the band maybe 2 times. I think I paid around $15 for a band that matches the watch (not Citizen, but matches just fine).

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 10:53:09 AM »
You could rock a NATO Strap.

http://natostrapsco.com/ (or many, many other places).

They're really, really comfortable too.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 10:37:38 PM »
Amazon or ebay. Just make sure you know the size.

TheGibberingPotato

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 05:50:25 AM »
Despite what I say below, everyone is entitled to their trinkets if the value is worth it to you; if that's the case, regardless of what band you get, make sure it doesn't look like crap.  In other wards, don't get a cheap/crappy band to pair with an expensive watch.  To me, that watch looks like it needs a metal band that matches well; a leather band would look like a poor matches.

I hazard to say that watches in general are anti-mustachian, given their poor practicability nowadays (everyone caries a phone which tells the time).  With that comment, I am refering to conventional watches; watches with more advanced functions such as GPS might be different; or a diver's watch which can handle high pressures might be useful to the diver while diving as time-telling is quite important in that situation.  I also personally cannot stand the feeling/weight of a watch on my wrist. 

I'd say sell your watch on ebay/craigslist.  Trying to put a mustachian band on a non-mustachian watch might just look cheap, and may just be dumping more time/money into

Not sure if there are any watch experts out there but about 5 years ago, I purchased a Citizen Eco Drive 8651 watch.  Link to google image picture below if that is allowed.  If not, I'll edit it out.

http://images.bidorbuy.co.za/user_images/346/598346_100602155308_AP1021-54L1.jpg

I got a "great" deal on it but with that deal came the fact that the leather band was faded and ended up cracking very quickly.  It is still wearable for now but I do want to replace the band before it completely splits.  I know if I go through Citizen, I'll spend an arm and a leg but I really like my extremities.  Anyone know what bands are compatible?  I prefer blue leather or "leather" but metal is fine too.

KungfuRabbit

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 05:54:40 AM »
my favorite watch brand is fossil.  They are extremely high quality, 10 year warranty, and low cost.  i know they have all sorts of watch bands, but i don't know how generic they are to fit on other brand faces.  it's worth checking out if there is a store near you.

moustacheverte

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 06:11:00 AM »
You could rock a NATO Strap.

http://natostrapsco.com/ (or many, many other places).

They're really, really comfortable too.

This. I bought 7 different straps for 35$ shipped and now have one for every occasion so to speak. They're very durable, not expensive and making a strong come back.

I wear mine on a Tissot Touch that was passed down to me, looks great