Author Topic: Mustachian approved mattress?  (Read 4074 times)

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
Mustachian approved mattress?
« on: December 07, 2015, 03:10:31 AM »
Has anyone put in the research to find a good mattress?  It's time for us to replace.  Looking for a normal king size.

redcedar

• Bristles
Re: Mustachian approved mattress?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 05:09:23 AM »
3am post, well at least for my time zone, so you must really need a new mattress!

I would say the best deal on a mattress would come from a family member or very close friend who is down sizing or otherwise has a change in their life leading them to get rid of a mattress that is still in great condition. I have two such mattresses in my house that were likely $750-1,250 each new but I paid $250 each for them. Both were less than three years old and were guest room mattresses so saw little use.

Now I have to admit that I sleep on a SleepNumber bed after back surgery a few years ago. Yeah it is pricey but since I need a happy back for decades, I did splurge for sure. I shopped around and waited on a 25% sale but that was still a pretty penny in final price. Now I plan to keep it for 15+ years so I plan to get a good per year cost out of it.

snuggler

• Stubble

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 06:28:20 AM »
A nice memory foam mattress topper on Amazon for about $75 can make an older mattress as good as new for a few more years.

flyingby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 07:00:43 AM »
Amazon is a great place to buy a mattress. I don't love the foam mattress they sell but they let me exchange it for this and its awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LQ1RPG?

Jeddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Living-Simply
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 07:19:21 AM »
My wife and I bought a Novosbed (Aria king sized memory foam mattress) and I don't think I've ever loved an inanimate object more - we went through a few spring mattresses and they always 'ditch' out and get lumpy - in some instances, only 6 to 12 months in.

Our Novosbed is still INCREDIBLE even today - it's high quality foam and they use higher amounts than most (all?) other memory foam mattresses that we've seen:

Layers
11″ total thickness for supreme comfort and support
2″ of Premium Plush Memory Foam (5 lbs/ft3)
2″ of Premium Memory Foam (5 lbs/ft3)
7″ of Premium Support Foam (1.8 lbs/ft3)

From what I remember of our research, Novosbed mattresses trumped all other memory foam mattresses that we looked at (due to the amount of foam used and the lbs/ft3) - and a good bit cheaper than the rest for better quality.

I probably sound like a corporate shill, but I can't apologize for that - the bed is truly phenomenal.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 08:47:52 AM »
Like the responses.  Let me also add that I don't mind spending good money for a good mattress.      So with that in mind I'd be interested to hear from the people who bought a premium product and feel the money was well spent on a high quality item.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 08:53:42 AM »
http://www.mattressnerd.com/tuft-and-needle/

My girlfriend and I got this and it's working out just fine.  That being said, neither of us is particularly high maintenance when it comes to beds.  Got a super high capacity (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWC1X3S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00) bed frame on amazon for ~$150 to avoid the shaking mess that my old bed was with the free frame that came with it from the discount mattress store I bought it from.  I think the frame helped as much as the mattress compared to my old bed.

I went by Ikea recently and they have a lot of foam mattresses there for reasonable prices.  Might be worth checking out.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!