Author Topic: Mustachey Christmas Café  (Read 28555 times)

forestbound

• Bristles
Re: Mustachey Christmas Café
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2014, 07:37:24 PM »
Merry Christmas to all the Mustashians! I am lying on the couch after a two day carb overload and feel gross. I a blessed with a wonderful family, and I am cursed with a lack of willpower... Ugh.

Scrubby, sorry about the technical difficulties, but it sounds like LF had a great time anyway... What a great kid!

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2014, 07:39:35 PM »
I took a delicious 5 hour nap today!  Naps are cool!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2014, 08:07:19 PM »
Just checking back in, it's heading towards noon on Boxing Day here. I successfully wore myself out with family, chatting with everyone and discussing ways to catch up with certain people in smaller groups over the next year. My grandmother brought photographs of herself and her children from when they were little, and I have to say it was wonderful guessing who was who! She was adorable as a baby.

Primm, I hope your holiday involved comfort, because your news was awful.

Scrubbyfish, I'm glad you're enjoying where you are even if you'd much rather have been in your lovely home!

I feel well rested now, so I'm planning on visiting more people today and doing a little necessary shopping during the sales.

I'm thinking part of growing our mustaches is coming to terms with the guilt we feel over not giving enough presents, not giving nice enough presents, not having enough presents for our kids, etc.

I want to eradicate all that guilt for everyone. I want all of you to feel happy about the things that you gave and happy about the things you received and just feel happy and not guilty.

That's what I want to give all of you for Christmas!

(((hugs)))
Extremely well said, Melalvai! I was worried about not having presents that were of high enough quality/quantity/for everyone. Turns out, everyone was just happy to see us, and we were happy to see them!

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2014, 08:12:53 PM »
Just got back. Spent the day with a friend and his friends. Overall time was good, played some cards and ate dinner. But the after dinner conversation had me shaking my head. The friends house we were at had apparently just gotten a 55 " television for Christmas. The friend I came with seriously said, "Oh, well MY tv is 60", I win." Gaaa

Then everyone had a big discussion about lootcrate and how awesome it was (there was a 'special edition' lootcrate box under the tree that their son had been given).

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2014, 08:30:15 PM »
Just got back. Spent the day with a friend and his friends. Overall time was good, played some cards and ate dinner. But the after dinner conversation had me shaking my head. The friends house we were at had apparently just gotten a 55 " television for Christmas. The friend I came with seriously said, "Oh, well MY tv is 60", I win." Gaaa

Then everyone had a big discussion about lootcrate and how awesome it was (there was a 'special edition' lootcrate box under the tree that their son had been given).
What is lootcrate?

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2014, 08:31:45 PM »
I hope everyone has had a wonderful Christmas.  For those who have faced  their first Christmas without a loved one, I hope you found joy among the sorrow.  As for me, we had a wonderful candlelight Christmas eve service last night and we cooked a big breakfast this morning for our children and grandchildren.  I had felt guilty about spending too much on Christmas, but everyone was so thankful and appreciative that I have no more regrets.  It is all over now, and I feel a little sad.  I won't take my decorations down until New Years day.  DH and I have the next week off from work, so I am looking forward to that.   

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2014, 08:34:53 PM »

What is lootcrate?

It is a subscription service that sends you a box of stuff every month. Random stuff. www.lootcrate.com

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2014, 08:40:19 PM »

What is lootcrate?

It is a subscription service that sends you a box of stuff every month. Random stuff. www.lootcrate.com

Clutter every month?  No thanks. 

Mazzinator

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2014, 09:22:04 PM »
Mele kalikimaka from Oahu, Hawaii...

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2014, 09:31:01 PM »
@Mazzinator are you in HI the last to celebrate in the world? DD and I were talking about this today, saying we believe Somalia is first. Merry Christmas.

MsWillow

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2014, 09:36:45 PM »
Merry Christmas. We have had a nice day and are ready for the kiddos to go to bed.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2014, 10:29:09 PM »
@Mazzinator are you in HI the last to celebrate in the world? DD and I were talking about this today, saying we believe Somalia is first. Merry Christmas.

You might be thinking of Samoa, unless the pirates in Somalia have picked up a chunk of Africa and moved it to the Pacific.

Believe the tiny island of Kiribati is the 1st place in the world.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2014, 10:32:09 PM »
Lol. Ya that one @marty998. My bad. I blame it on an overdose of Russian Tea Cakes. ;)

Thank you for the info. I've learned something new, as I have not heard of Kiribati. Yay

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2014, 10:46:16 PM »
Lol. Ya that one @marty998. My bad. I blame it on an overdose of Russian Tea Cakes. ;)

Thank you for the info. I've learned something new, as I have not heard of Kiribati. Yay

Ha well, I haven't had those sort of cakes before. Plane old vino if more than enough for me.

You can learn a second thing now. The locals there pronounce "ti" as "s". So the correct pronunciation is "Kiribas"

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2014, 10:57:39 PM »
Who else thinks it's not Christmas day if you don't get a nap?

I'm a bit late, given that it's now Boxing Day here, but can happily say that I got my Xmas Day nap in. Now, we are watching the Cricket in the relative cool of the house. Too muggy outside for the moment.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2014, 11:03:20 PM »
We are at the end of a lovely Christmas Day in our house. Presents have been opened, food has been eaten, games have been played...time for sleep :-) Merry Christmas, Mustachian friends!

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2014, 11:07:19 PM »

I'm a bit late, given that it's now Boxing Day here, but can happily say that I got my Xmas Day nap in. Now, we are watching the Cricket in the relative cool of the house. Too muggy outside for the moment.

Shit, cricket! I totally forgot today was Boxing Day.

Muggy here too. I sleep between night shifts with a white noise generator which does the bubbling brook thing. I woke up at about 2pm with my mind in complete turmoil because I thought my little speakers had turned into 5.1 surround sound and cranked the volume up to 11, until I realise it was the rain on the tin roof. Didn't last long, but it will freshen things up hopefully.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2014, 11:49:47 PM »
It's the end of a lovely, relaxed day here. I wasn't able to check in early enough to read all the comments, but what I did read was quite touching. I love how supportive the atmosphere is here. Merry Christmas to everyone (there's still a little bit of it left here in CA)!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2014, 12:00:40 AM »

Muggy here too. I sleep between night shifts with a white noise generator which does the bubbling brook thing. I woke up at about 2pm with my mind in complete turmoil because I thought my little speakers had turned into 5.1 surround sound and cranked the volume up to 11, until I realise it was the rain on the tin roof. Didn't last long, but it will freshen things up hopefully.

Great day of cricket today. Good old fashioned contest. Good to see also 90 overs bowled in the 6 hours. After the debacle of Brisbane with 25 overs lost in the 1st 3 days due to slow over rates it's nice that a line in the sand has been drawn and the needless time wasting has been banished (at least for a day).

5 down for 260 odd. Hopefully Steve Smith goes on to make 100 tomorrow.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2014, 05:32:13 AM »

Great day of cricket today. Good old fashioned contest. Good to see also 90 overs bowled in the 6 hours. After the debacle of Brisbane with 25 overs lost in the 1st 3 days due to slow over rates it's nice that a line in the sand has been drawn and the needless time wasting has been banished (at least for a day).

5 down for 260 odd. Hopefully Steve Smith goes on to make 100 tomorrow.

My godson is at the cricket - made the trip from England. However he's called Steve Smith. The git didn't tell me he'd changed nationalities AND been picked to play...

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2014, 05:34:49 AM »

My godson is at the cricket - made the trip from England. However he's called Steve Smith. The git didn't tell me he'd changed nationalities AND been picked to play...

And as captain, no less! ;)

scrubbyfish

« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2014, 11:34:04 AM »
Scrubbyfish: I always felt bad for my kids at Christmas.  Just always.  So I hear what you're saying and want to give you an extra hug.

Thank you so much, Rezdent!

I didn't feel guilty the first few years. It was only when we started living near lots of spendy families and two-or-three household families that I did, d'oh. However, Little Fish is so HAPPY, it was impossible to feel guilty for long, lol. He is truly satisfied. I asked him, "Did all your dreams come true?" He said, "Yes! Well...almost all..." Oh? What else had you dreamed of? "Ummm... Maybe super powers?" HAHAHHAA. I definitely do not feel guilty that I had not managed to get him even more "super powers" than he already has :)

With his non-working iPad, two notables:

1. That he is exclaiming that he is so happy because he waited three years for this. (He's putting ipods, phones, iPad, etc, all in the same category. He has had no fancy electronics ever, except a used itouch for awhile, with no internet access, nor anything on it.) I'm happy he knows that waiting has many benefits, including getting what you really want and feeling more joy when the day comes.

2. That he no longer cares that we can't set it up. There is one pre-set up screen that lets him type on one line. He is absolutely delighted typing messages to people on that line. And he announced excitedly, "I don't even NEED the internet to play games on it, because the game IS trying to connect to the internet!" rotflmao, oh that got us all going but good this morning!!!

Cheers to everyone who survived Christmas, whether it was happy or sad!!! See you in your Journals, my Journal, and anywhere under Ask a Mustachian!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2014, 12:07:10 PM »
We' re celebrating Christmas Day on Boxing Day this year to have my niece and nephew with us for the festive dinner.  (They were with the other grandparents for Christmas Day.) 

Yesterday, Mr. Pachnik and I went for Japanese food and saw The Hobbit.  It was a lovely Christmas Day.  We hadn't been to a movie in maybe a year?  We agreed that we'd go again much sooner. 

Right now, the turkey is in the oven and I am getting ready for our guests.  Set the table, put desserts on a nice platter.  Vacuumed the downstairs entry way.  Swept the walk.  So my Christmas continues today.  I may do some Boxing Day shopping for clothes on Monday?  The stuff will probably be really picked over but I will have a look since I am off Monday. 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2014, 02:41:48 PM »
I think for adults that is a great idea because you can just enjoy being together but for kids not so much.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2014, 04:35:07 PM »
I won't have Christmas with my family until after New Years this year, but I did get to talk with my parents on Christmas Day. Being the history nerds all 3 of us are, we spent most of the time with me telling them all about the Dulles expansion of the Air and Space Museum (Smithsonian). They've never been to that one and they enjoyed the pictures I cherry picked to send them earlier.

Even though my gifts for them are very simple, I'm excited to give them. Pretty sure my mom has no idea I saved her two jars of the preserves she loved from earlier in the summer.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2014, 04:57:48 PM »
I'd love to hear more stories about how families have gone present-less. Or some non-buying alternative.  How did you negotiate it and how did it feel during the time you usually exchange/open?

I think my very large family was just sufficiently exhausted with trying to gift everyone, so someone (me?) proposed we cut that out. Some people were game immediately, others took years to let go of gifting.

Key is not to just propose a dead end, but instead alternatives like you say. In our extended family, we don't say "no gifts", we invite people to "bring things from around your house, wrapped and unlabelled for a trading game". The game part takes a good while and is lots of fun, everyone who likes to receive still gets to, everyone gets to clear their house of any excess, people who don't want stuff get to give it away or leave it behind for the thrift, and no one spent money!

Be careful what you wish for, though! The last couple of years I've wished to receive something nice, meant-for-me, etc, and no one's willing, ha!

melalvai

• Pencil Stache
    • Bicycling and Walking Around
« Reply #76 on: December 26, 2014, 07:00:19 PM »
I'd love to hear more stories about how families have gone present-less. Or some non-buying alternative.  How did you negotiate it and how did it feel during the time you usually exchange/open?

My sister & brother & I tend to give to each other's charities. Well, actually my brother tends to give to HIS favorite charities, not mine! At least I don't disagree with any of his charities, they just aren't the most important ones to me. At least this year he ALSO gave to one that is very important to me.

My husband came up with an idea today that I think is brilliant. He commented that none of us have any particular attachment to CHRISTMAS DAY but that there is a reason for family traditions and holidays, and wouldn't it be nice if we celebrated them at a time convenient to us? That leaves our daughter & her boyfriend free to spend Christmas & Thanksgiving at his family's every year, if they want, and we'll have our UnHoliday on the day of our choosing. He said we should think of traditions to observe during the UnHoliday, and I said, "Well, gifts are fun, but they can be stressful and then we end up with junk we don't really want." My suggestion was that we do gifts, but they would be things that are consumable and healthy-- and inexpensive. Roses, candles, cheese, chocolates (ok, maybe not so healthy). And maybe a rose isn't so easy to wrap. But I think we can get creative-- a poem, a song, an origami swan. Maybe the tradition will be that he always gives me & Daughter flowers, that Daughter always gives Husband & me candles, that I always give Husband & Daughter cheese!

We haven't actually tried this out yet, but I wanted to throw it out there as an idea, not sure how it would work with a sibling get-together exchange.

My dad's family, with 7 siblings each with families, for a long time did the thing where you draw a name and give someone that, then the 2 sister-in-laws who organized it every year got tired of doing it and after that they only gave gifts to Granddad.

melalvai

• Pencil Stache
    • Bicycling and Walking Around
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2014, 04:14:36 AM »
My most mustache moment was when my aunt pestered me about attending the Christmas thing at her house and I just repeated 'That sounds fun. We're not traveling this year. Merry Christmas! ' I didn't apologize for not going because she would interpret that as I actually wanted to go and she'd pester me more about it or try to find ways to overcome whatever obstacle. I didn't say 'I'm so sorry we can't make it' because she would ask my parents what we were doing instead.

I kind of want to do Christmas just the same next year. Low key, no travel.