Author Topic: Murphy Bed kit?  (Read 5005 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Murphy Bed kit?
« on: September 12, 2018, 07:26:59 AM »
With potentially another little one on the way, we need to convert our guest room (which is a silly concept in and of itself, talk about wasted space...) into an office.
It will not go over well with the grandparents, who occupy the room about 15 days a year, if we don't have a real bed. Sofa bed, air bed, suggestion of a nice hotel are all not suitable options. So we want to take the existing mattress and use it with a murphy bed.

Rockler has a great kit that would allow us to build a cabinet for a fraction of the cost of buying one.  However, the Queen option has been out of stock every time we looked.
https://www.rockler.com/i-semble-vertical-mount-murphy-bed-hardware-with-mattress-platform?sid=V9146?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&gclid=CjwKCAjw8uLcBRACEiwAaL6MSQt-zy2zqeElaUlcq7x8LqQ485_nQc8UhozeVCl7QDGI1My8F-GVRxoCYGMQAvD_BwE

Does anyone have a suggestion for another credible source to buy a kit; or suggestions for inexpensive ready made queen size murphy beds?

wbranch

• Stubble
Re: Murphy Bed kit?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 11:07:53 AM »
We downsized and my wife uses the 2nd bedroom as an office and we have been considering a murphy bed to use the space better. Buying a kit and building a cabinet seems the most cost effective by far.
I found this kit as another option, but have no experience with it: https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/wall-bed-frame-and-mechanism-kits-queen-size-vertical-opening.html

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 11:29:54 AM »
Thanks for that link! That looks great.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 12:13:37 PM »
I'm just posting so I have a place to look up options when I build a new house.  I plan to have a quilting room with a spare bed, but the bed would need to be a murphy bed.

A coworker built one recently from a kit, I'll try to remember to ask him where he got his and how easy it went together.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 12:22:51 PM »
I'm just posting so I have a place to look up options when I build a new house.  I plan to have a quilting room with a spare bed, but the bed would need to be a murphy bed.

A coworker built one recently from a kit, I'll try to remember to ask him where he got his and how easy it went together.

I have a quilting room :)
That's non-negotiable as we rearrange to make room for another kid :)

Lucky Recardito

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 12:29:06 PM »
FWIW, to go really far down the rabbit hole, some friends of ours built a Murphy bed (using the Rockler pattern & kit, actually), and added on a fold-down quilting table.

So there's the big Murphy bed cabinet, and they added onto the front of it a fold-down quilting table. The room can be a guest room, a craft room, or a mostly-empty extra play space.

LIVING THE DREAM, Y'ALL.

tthree

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 02:48:32 PM »
You can order on-line from Costco.  They are a little pricey though.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 04:11:12 PM »
It will not go over well with the grandparents, who occupy the room about 15 days a year, if we don't have a real bed. Sofa bed, air bed, suggestion of a nice hotel are all not suitable options. So we want to take the existing mattress and use it with a murphy bed.

I would gently suggest that guests in your home can use the accommodations available, whether that's a sofa bed, a futon, or an air mattress, or make arrangements of their own.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 04:30:16 PM »

I would gently suggest that guests in your home can use the accommodations available, whether that's a sofa bed, a futon, or an air mattress, or make arrangements of their own.

Never gonna work in my family and not worth the battle

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 06:16:21 PM »

If they are really only there 15 days a year just put them up in your room in your bed and use an air mattress or sofa bed for yourself.

This is what I do. My parents are 70, I won't make them sleep on an air mattress. But there's no reason I can't. Seriously, that's 4% of the year.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 07:24:39 PM »

If they are really only there 15 days a year just put them up in your room in your bed and use an air mattress or sofa bed for yourself.

This is what I do. My parents are 70, I won't make them sleep on an air mattress. But there's no reason I can't. Seriously, that's 4% of the year.

We did that when we were younger and only had a futon to spare. I wasn't going to put them on a futon.
I like my bed now. Plus the guest room is downstairs from the kids, and it would be a pain to deal with waking up multiple times a night

A Murphy bed works really well. I just needed suggestions on alternative places to buy a kit.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 07:32:44 PM »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 07:44:32 PM »
@pbkmaine do you have experience with any of those? Or know someone who used them?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 07:51:30 PM »
No, but the last one has many Amazon reviews, which should provide useful information.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2018, 07:55:03 PM »
No, but the last one has many Amazon reviews, which should provide useful information.

Looks like it might be the same kit at all the links. Amazon has free shipping :)

I did like the one star review that complained you had to put it together yourself...

danakado

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2018, 01:11:20 PM »
I made the wall bed kit linked above.  It doesn't have the fancy mechanism like the Rockler one but it was cheaper and easier to do.  But, it takes some muscle to put it up and down.  I can do it on my own but I struggle.  It was a pretty fun project for me.  Wood cost was close to $450 (I think?) since I did not buy from Big Box stores as I was tired of warped wood. 

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 03:47:30 PM »
Have you emailed or called about the out of stock on your first choice? It might be out of stock, or it might be that someone sucks at administering their website. At the least, you might get an idea of if or when they'll have it in stock again.

beekayworld

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2018, 11:23:57 AM »
These are all great ideas and you probably have your solution from among them, but I will add an outside-the-box option.  My in-laws had a condo in Mexico where they had two twin beds pushed together and a foam connector inserted between the mattresses to make it a king size.

If you want to order two twin-size kits and mount them side-by-side, this bridge could give them a kingsize bed!  (Or, if your room can accommodate two twins on different walls, is there any reason they need to sleep in the same bed?)

$20 from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Foamily-Foam-Bed-Bridge-Pad/dp/B011DI0VUG

$17 from Bed Bath and Beyond: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/therapedic-reg-quick-king-bed-bridge/1061879430?skuId=61879430&mrkgcl=609&mrkgadid=3247098540&rkg_id=0&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_bedding_online&product_id=61879430&adtype=pla&product_channel=online&adpos=1o3&creative=275301563668&device=c&matchtype=&network=s&gclid=CjwKCAjw2_LcBRBYEiwA_XVBU2vZL65Q-byzn4mY8orxidv-RHU8mxvS-QuftdvPtItJBnV_8IxNKRoCBwkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2018, 12:17:22 PM »
Have you emailed or called about the out of stock on your first choice? It might be out of stock, or it might be that someone sucks at administering their website. At the least, you might get an idea of if or when they'll have it in stock again.

I have, they don't know when it will be in stock again.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2018, 12:19:43 PM »
These are all great ideas and you probably have your solution from among them, but I will add an outside-the-box option.  My in-laws had a condo in Mexico where they had two twin beds pushed together and a foam connector inserted between the mattresses to make it a king size.

If you want to order two twin-size kits and mount them side-by-side, this bridge could give them a kingsize bed!  (Or, if your room can accommodate two twins on different walls, is there any reason they need to sleep in the same bed?)

$20 from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Foamily-Foam-Bed-Bridge-Pad/dp/B011DI0VUG

$17 from Bed Bath and Beyond: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/therapedic-reg-quick-king-bed-bridge/1061879430?skuId=61879430&mrkgcl=609&mrkgadid=3247098540&rkg_id=0&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_bedding_online&product_id=61879430&adtype=pla&product_channel=online&adpos=1o3&creative=275301563668&device=c&matchtype=&network=s&gclid=CjwKCAjw2_LcBRBYEiwA_XVBU2vZL65Q-byzn4mY8orxidv-RHU8mxvS-QuftdvPtItJBnV_8IxNKRoCBwkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Nice outside the box thinking. We already have a queen mattress, that has been on a traditional bed.
Two twins wouldn't fit side by side in that room, and separate beds wouldn't fly, though I love the look of daybed couches some people do with twin mattresses. We just don't have room for it. It's a small room. Really the queen is too big, but it's a bed we already owned.