Author Topic: Moving/Apartment Furnishing Dilemma  (Read 4047 times)

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
Moving/Apartment Furnishing Dilemma
« on: January 28, 2015, 09:45:23 PM »
So this is not a huge issue, but figured I would throw this out there to the Mustachain world and see what you all would do in my situation.

Me: 23 yrs old, just moved into my own 1BD apt in NYC suburbs. Furnished mostly with things from my last apartment; bed, dresser, nightstand. I spent ~$75 on new supplies for the kitchen, things that I was sharing with roommates before, like a new saucepan, utensils, garbage can, etc. As luck would have it, as I was moving in to my apartment, someone on the same street put out two wonderful black wooden chairs, very fancy, for garbage pick up. Being the saver that I am, I scooped them up and brought them right inside!

With the chairs of out the way, the only things left that I feel I need for the apartment are a small dining table to go with the two chairs, and some sort of seating for my living room. I was able to find someone on Craigslist giving away a free sleeper couch and loveseat, and all I would need to do is pick it up. However, they are quite heavy and would require a much bigger vehicle than my small rustbucket car, and are much more than I can lift.

I had hoped to have my dad help me pick up the items in his minivan, but he will be away this weekend. If I don't pick them up this weekend, the person will give them away to someone else. I looked into hiring a moving person with a truck to help, and it will run me about $130 for the labor and truck.

My question is; since the couch and loveseat are free, is it justifiable to spend the $130 on the mover? Am I just being impatient and jumping on the first good thing that comes along? I know that you can always find a couch for sale on Craigslist, but a free one in good condition? I also was hoping to get a sleeper sofa to try my hand at renting out the couch on AirBNB, or to have a place for friends to stay when they come visit. I have seen sleeper sofas selling on Craigslist for $100 alone.

I am torn because I don't want to spend any money at all if possible, hence looking at the free section, but it seems like a great deal for $130. This would bring my total spending for furnishing my apartment to about $205, which I suppose could be worse!

Please facepunch me if I am just indulging in a want it now attitude!

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Moving/Apartment Furnishing Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 10:00:32 PM »
From my point of view, if you have to invest $130 then they're no longer free.  Another such set will come along, so yes, it does sound like you're being impatient.  But, if you can afford the $130 convenience tax, go for it.

Also, it's entirely possible the set will still be available when you can get them.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 10:54:36 PM »
Home Depot rents trucks by the hour. Since you're in the burbs, I'd guess there's one not too far from you. You could also rent a dolly to make loading easier.

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 06:20:11 AM »
I definitely can rent a trunk on my own, that's not truly the problem! The problem is that I can't lift these heavy couches on my own, even with a dolly, and the cost of hiring two guys plus renting a truck would be around the same as hiring two guys with a truck!

I slept on it, and think I will wait until next week and see what else pops up on craigslist.

Unfortunately the person with the couch will not hold them, they want them gone asap!

LALALA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 09:39:26 AM »
can you hire someone standing outside of your local Uhaul for less?  Or look for able body teenagers or young adults in your new building who will help out if you treat them to dinner or lunch.

LALALA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 09:41:32 AM »
Go look at them in person before you commit to hiring anybody, they might be too dirty, ugly, or old for you to take them even if they are free.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 09:42:19 AM »
Are bed bugs a problem in NYC?  Be careful to inspect any free upholstered furniture.  I imagine you already know this, but better safe than sorry.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 09:43:12 AM »
When I moved without my own transit in the city last year, I had a lot of 'furniture cost + moving cost' expenses. It was all from craigslist and I think it was worth it. YMMV but these are usually one time costs and for a piece you love, paying to get them moved is sometimes the only option.

Angie55

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 09:44:32 AM »
Yeah, good furniture is often listed free because its hard to move. Free couches and tables are a-plenty on craigslist. There are about 3 on my craigslist free section. Another set will come up within days. Just wait until you have someone to help you.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 09:49:04 AM »
I wouldn't spend $130 on furniture that someone was giving away free - if it was worth that much, they would probably be selling it. I would also worry, being that it's craigslist, that you would spend the $ for the rental/hired hands, and get there and find out they had already been given to someone else.