Author Topic: Moving to India (Fulbright). Help with car/storing belongings!  (Read 3752 times)

ethereality

• Stubble
So, my partner won a research Fulbright to India, so we're both relocating to south India in August. Before that, we'll be traveling through Spain and SE Asia. We will live off of the grant, supplemented by savings. We're both graduating from grad school this May, and we leave on the day of my graduation!

I own a Honda Fit 2012 base model (no debt), with 43,000 miles. KBB and the Honda dealership I went to quoted me $6500 - $7000 for the car (minor scratches and one wheel missing a hub cap.)

I currently live in a major east coast city, and would likely move back to either NY or Boston, so I'm considering selling my car and trying to hold off on buying another one (my partner and I share this car, but I pay for it). But, if I were to need a car, I would pretty much buy the same car as I have zero complaints. In 2015, I bought it used, and paid $14k.

As for storing our belongings, my partner and I are going to split a storage facility (5' x 5' x 8') for $100/month. We are only taking a backpack along.

I think selling the car makes more sense, but am I missing something? I'm ramping up to some of the busiest times of my life (will need to graduate/finals, move out, prep for int travel all in the same month), so should I just take it to the dealership and see what I can get, or should I try to sell privately? One pro of taking it to the dealership is that I can use the car for when my family is visiting and for moving our belongings into storage (partner currently lives 2.5 hours away), and then sell. Not sure how flexible dates are when selling privately.

If it matters, I have ~$250k saved, and am in my mid-20s.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
Re: Moving to India (Fulbright). Help with car/storing belongings!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 12:26:14 PM »
First of all, congratulations on the Fulbright scholarship.

Instead of blindly storing everything, just keep the critical things which cannot be replaced. Heirlooms, photos etc.
Most furniture can be replaced and these are bulky to store and move, so get rid of them(crags list etc). At this point, you might have a couple of suitcases of items which friends/family would not mind storing for you.

So, if you are out of the country for 2 years (guessing, not sure how long it is), the cost of the storage unit will be $2400. If this amount + what you can sell your stuff for can replace the stuff you are selling then my suggestion is to dump everything and buy when you get back.

I agree with your ideas on selling the car. If you are in a major east coast city, you can easily make do with Uber or Zip cars. I would think it would be cheaper than the cost of parking + insurance + maintenance.

Which part of South India will you be going to? I am originally from India but have been in the US (with yearly trips back to visit family).

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 04:35:08 PM »
I am not sure if your scholarship covers everything during your stay in India. If not, you have to account for some expenses. They depend on where exactly you will be in South India. I am from South India originally and it is at least 4 states depending on who you ask. Your plan seems like you did not account for that? Just a thought.

Congrats!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 05:05:32 PM »
Congrats!   What subject(s) will you be studying in India?

ethereality

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 05:52:13 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. My partner is studying music, and I am interested in educational technology/equity, education in general. We will be based in Mysore. The Fulbright definitely won't cover all expenses, but it should cover a good amount ($1200/month). I'm hoping to supplement with contract work (paid in USD) and with savings if absolutely necessary. Since I'm not the one who won the Fulbright, I'm just aiming for keeping this awesome experience cost neutral. I'm using the time off to study computer science, coding, and building out a new business idea. And of course, getting to explore Mysore and India in general - dream come true!

If anyone knows of any organizations that would be relevant, I'm all ears!

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 06:36:37 PM »
We will be based in Mysore.

That is where my family is from. I go back every year to visit my parents in Mysore. Probably one of the best cities in India. Small enough, the local Kannadigas (Kannada is the language spoken in that state, Karnataka) are a very friendly folk. City of palaces. The weather is also great (compared to the rest of India).

The Fulbright definitely won't cover all expenses, but it should cover a good amount ($1200/month).

$1200 is approx Rs 75,000. That would be more than enough in Mysore for a very comfortable life.
There are usually a lot of European/American visitors to Mysore for yoga classes. You can get in touch with them about rental's etc and to help you decide on what area you want to live in.

And of course, getting to explore Mysore and India in general - dream come true!

Let me know if I can help in any way. Best of luck.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 06:38:15 PM by CowboyAndIndian »

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 11:04:18 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. My partner is studying music, and I am interested in educational technology/equity, education in general. We will be based in Mysore. The Fulbright definitely won't cover all expenses, but it should cover a good amount ($1200/month). I'm hoping to supplement with contract work (paid in USD) and with savings if absolutely necessary. Since I'm not the one who won the Fulbright, I'm just aiming for keeping this awesome experience cost neutral. I'm using the time off to study computer science, coding, and building out a new business idea. And of course, getting to explore Mysore and India in general - dream come true!

If anyone knows of any organizations that would be relevant, I'm all ears!

$1200 is plenty of money in Mysore. Especially if you are a Mustachian, then you can have a lot of fun and even save some. I agree with the other commenter. Mysore is a beautiful city. I am not from Mysore but I was a tourist a couple of times. Coming to the weather, Mysore is part of the Deccan Plateau. So the weather is not so different compared to Bangalore, Pune, Hyderabad. Expect hot summers, rainfall during the monsoon and lot of mosquitos :)

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 04:21:12 PM »
Hi Ethereality, how is your progress on the move. Do you have any dates fixed?

Wouild love an update.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 04:36:11 PM »
I had friends who had a bunch of stuff in a storage unit for two years while serving in the Peace Corps, and then left it there while going to graduate school. At the end of that time there wasn't really anything in there that they felt glad to have spent the money to have saved.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 04:44:04 AM »
Dittoing the don't keep stuff mantra: my sister moved to Mexico and stored stuff. My dad and I went through it and Skyped her after two years. 90% in the trash (I do have her awesome waffle maker!).

My aunt and uncle had a storage unit paid by their company when they went overseas. Almost all in the trash when they came back.

Blatant

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 05:58:53 AM »
Tons of "foreigners" come through Mysore for Ashtanga yoga. My wife is an authorized level 2 Ashtangi and goes there for a month every year. Very easy to get nice rental housing and good food. Agree that you can live pretty well on $1,200 a month there.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 10:11:00 AM »
I don't recommend storage. I put my stuff in storage only five months later to realize, the total amount of stuff I had in the storage equaled the cost I was paying for it. I could have just sold the stuff and saved the storage costs. I inevitably called salvation army and donated the stuff as the storage costs started costing more than the stuff in it. Just call salvation army and donate it all. Furniture can always be bought.

In fact, if you can, sell as much as you can if you don't want to donate it for free. I would craigslist the hell out of your furniture and stuff.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:12:54 AM by Rimu05 »

Mrs. S

• Stubble
    • Royally Frugal
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 12:02:07 AM »
Purge through your stuff. We were in a similar situation and had our stuff in the rental in previous city (way cheaper than any storage option) for over 6 months as our office moved us around from city to city. Thankfully we were on perdiem and could afford to pay. Our office moved our stuff to the new city and we ended up with a tiny 1 bhk full of cardboard boxes. we purged a lot of stuff and are in the process of doing that one year hence.
The furniture we couldnot have parted with last year is what we are looking at selling today.

On a side note:
Mysore is amazing and you will definitely love your time there. Do take time out to visit ruins of Hampi and amazing temples of the south.
1200$ is a luxurious sum in the city even if you are not a mustachian. We live in the most expensive city in India and we spend maybe $700 all inclusive. I am sure there are people helping you get through the move however there are a few things I would really recommend you do as soon as you land.
1. Get a local phone no.- you need it for everything from train tickets to buying grocery online. Almost everything today is online and even though speeds are no where close to what you might get in the west internet is everywhere.
2. Get your rental agreement registered and get yourself and ADHAAR card it will act as your local address proof and id. This might take sometime.
3. Get your (international) driver's license- Police might not stop you at first but you don't want to risk it. Plus if you look caucasian or african-american you might be pulled over more since chances of non-indians driving with a valid license is lesser.
4. Get a basic health insurance- Healthcare is way cheap in India and you will probably not need it beyond a few checkups. however it can quickly rack up if you intend to use private healthcare and have to be admitted for a few days

Feel free to ping me if you need any help.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!