Author Topic: Moving to Denver, is this Mustachian enough?  (Read 4256 times)

elmustacho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Moving to Denver, is this Mustachian enough?
« on: April 12, 2017, 12:31:56 PM »
Hello all,

I'm moving to Denver from Texas and I've only been to the city a couple of times.  I'm looking for advice on keeping my costs down. My DW is getting a teaching job and I will move with her in 6 months. (I'm staying behind to continue working to cover moving costs plus savings cushion).

I've already applied for an apartment, got it in an OK area since the rent for walking-distance to work was outrageous.

Total Income   $1,913  (hopefully)
Expenses   
Rent   $1,035
Food   $300
Water/Gas/Electricity   $150
Gas   $100
Clothing   $20
Car Misc.    $20
College savings. $20
Restaurants   $20
Apt Insurance   $10
Gifts $20
Phones   $85
Xfinity Internet   $32
Car insurance  $??  (no idea, 1st time buying car insurance in the US)

What am I missing here?  We are a 3-person family. Is food too high? How should I prepare for a mustachian winter?

I do plan to find work here once I move to bring in more funds but it will be 3 months (Jan-March 2018) until I can get my work permit.

Thanks

EDIT: The salary is after Medical Insurance so we are already covered.
EDIT: We do have a car that will sell for $5k to cover the cost of the purchased of a used SUV 4cyl as main transport

PS I currently earn ~50k and can live rent free in Texas during AUG-DEC my salary is additional to the one above.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:56:26 PM by elmustacho »

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: Moving to Denver, is this Mustachian enough?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 12:44:11 PM »
I'm hoping your wife will make more money soon, because that's not a very good salary for a teacher, and Denver is not all that cheap.

What about medical expenses?

As far as getting ready for winter, start hitting up the thrift stores looking for coats. When we moved from Miami to Pittsburgh, my kids didn't own long sleeved t-shirts, much less winter coats, and I was able to pick up a nice starter winter wardrobe before we left. A surprising number of people go on ski vacations, and then end up donating their winter gear in warmer areas.

Also, buy a snow scraper for the car *before* it snows.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 12:45:38 PM »
You'll want snow tires if you have a commute and a job where you don't get the luxury of working from home on snowdays.

Your rent is amazing BTW.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:48:01 PM by therethere »

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 12:50:13 PM »
I would build up a cushion before you move because unanticipated costs will materialize and your monthly budget is tight.

Is public transport an option for you in Denver?  Their system isn't super great, but they've just expanded the light rail and have a decent bus system.  Putting off the car purchase until you're settled and you're in a position to get work could be a buffer.

elmustacho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 12:53:04 PM »
You'll want snow tires if you have a commute and a job where you don't get the luxury of working from home on snowdays.

Amazing meaning?  low, high?

elmustacho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 12:55:00 PM »
I would build up a cushion before you move because unanticipated costs will materialize and your monthly budget is tight.

Is public transport an option for you in Denver?  Their system isn't super great, but they've just expanded the light rail and have a decent bus system.  Putting off the car purchase until you're settled and you're in a position to get work could be a buffer.

Ahh well it is a bit far, but I guess she can try it before public transportation before the winter.  I should have added current car info. We do have a car that will sell for $5k to cover the cost of the purchased of a used SUV 4cyl as main transport

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 02:10:28 PM »
I'm from the northeast snow belt and spent over 6 years living in Denver. If you are not driving up the mountains during a snow storm you do NOT need snow tires.  All weather are perfectly fine.

Downtown Denver has really good public transportation. COL is skyrocketing in Denver right now it's insane.  Are you going to be in Denver proper or Lakewood/Englewood/Aurora?

Coming from near Cleveland where when snow starts (sometimes in Oct) and the cold wet dark freezing days rarely go away before April...Denver winters are easy.  Generally you'll get a few inches of snow and a week later it's 70 and sunny.  Then in a few more days it's 0 and snow again.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 04:12:50 PM »
Maybe I am missing something but it seems like your expenses are equal or more than income? Can she negotiate for more money it seems really low for the Denver area as a teacher.

What is she teaching?

What is your current car? You do not need 4wd a front wheel drive should do just fine with good tires.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 05:43:02 AM »
We never had snow tires in Denver (my dh grew up there.) You do need to learn to drive in the snow, but unless you are headed into the mountains in the winter, regular tires are fine.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 07:18:44 AM »
a little confused.

You're doing the math based on your not working. I see you mention potentially working after 3 months but doesn't seem to assuring.

I'm not sure why you're going from Texas with 50k and free housing, to a much more expensive area with around a 30k income.

Like others asked, is she actually a degrees teacher, or why is she making so little? That's a wage I'd expect for like a daycare teacher or something.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 01:44:57 PM »
It's probably about what a first year teacher in my area nets, as salaries are low at first and then step up, but I dunno about Denver. I would think it would be more in a public school, but probably not in a charter.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 01:52:54 PM »

Amazing meaning?  low, high?

It's really low, especially if you have 2 bedrooms. I pay over a thousand with the utilities that they tack on and I only have 1 bedroom.

Even if that's take-home pay, agree that it seems low. Especially to relocate for! I assume that this decision is already made, but... yikes. I do not understand the decision to relocate for such a low salary.

Why on earth would you buy an SUV for 3 people???? (One of them is a kid?) That seems like way overkill. Even if you have the cash to buy it, couldn't you save on gas and maintenance by buying a smaller sedan/hatchback? Get snow tires and put a snow shovel in the back. It is a myth that you need four wheel drive to live in the snow.

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 01:53:07 PM »
I found this online: http://careers.dpsk12.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Teacher-and-SSP-salary-setting-guide.pdf

Based on my experience living in Denver most suburbs would probably pay more, aside from Aurora.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 02:56:35 PM »
Base salary in Jefferson county for certified teachers is $38,000, and the charters are only slightly lower. Denver county seems to have a complicated set of incentives that add to pay, but I suspect that it has most of the low performing schools and struggles to keep teachers.

bonovox_co

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 06:50:13 PM »
I'll leave the math to others and speak to the Winter.  I live in Denver and I'll second that you do not need snow tires.  You need a decent tire and as others have said, learn how to drive in the snow.   I'm a proponent of Denver's public transportation.  RTD regional routes for buses are excellent, there are many express buses at peak times, and light rail is expanding and getting better every day.  Visit RTD (link below) and see what you think.  If you use this daily, there's a monthly cost to factor so compare with the ability drive.

We've had a very mild winter this year, that usually means a not so nice winter is around the corner.  It can get very cold here, dangerously cold.  It's better to buy good gear the first time, things that will last - gloves, beanies, jackets and one key to moving here is layers.  Just as many people are moving here, many are leaving.  Check craigslist and other second hand sources, especially for the kids gear.

As long as you live in an apartment, there's no snow shoveling in your future, but depending on your parking, you might need something very basic to shovel snow to get the car out.  You'll also need a decent ice scraper for the windshield and other windows.  Keep in the car October - May, regardless of the forecast.

www.rtd-denver.com

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 08:54:07 PM »
Base salary in Jefferson county for certified teachers is $38,000, and the charters are only slightly lower. Denver county seems to have a complicated set of incentives that add to pay, but I suspect that it has most of the low performing schools and struggles to keep teachers.

Nope. My understanding is that oeople flee Jefferson and Douglas counties to teach in Denver because of poor working conditions--I don't know the details, but things like low pay and not getting tenure and various ill-advised "reforms." One of my kids had a very experienced (like 20-30 years) teacher who was new to Denver from the suburbs. Denver schools are uneven but many are good.

elmustacho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2017, 09:57:36 AM »
Thank you for all your replies.

We are moving because the district does sponsor a permanent resident visa.  It's hard to stay in the USA with a non-inmigrant visa because you basically pay taxes, get no tax cuts and it is a waste of time if you have just a visitor worker visa.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!