Author Topic: Moving to Cedar Rapids, IA  (Read 12786 times)

chops

• Stubble
Moving to Cedar Rapids, IA
« on: May 24, 2014, 07:26:54 PM »
Hi Mustachians!  My finance and I are planning to move to Cedar Rapids, IA from CT in the next few months.  Long story short is she has a very good job opportunity there and I am currently looking for something there so I can join her.

I noticed there are a few Iowans on the board that might be able to give me some advice about life in Cedar Rapids (and I've seen a shout-out for Iowa City as a Mustachian place to live!)

It seems like compared to the northeast, Iowa is overall less expensive but even colder.  I am a big wood-stove guy up here where there's lots of trees & plenty of free wood - makes heating a house a great work out and nearly free.  Would it be possible to keep my wood stove mustachian plan in Cedar Rapids?  Or are there too few trees to make this possible?

I'm a big bike rider as well, it seems like cedar rapids is a big biking community?  CT is pretty much not, would be great to be in a place where biking is closer to the norm.

Will probably rent for a while to get our bearings, but would like to buy another mustachian house at some point.  Any places to rent/buy you like?

Appreciate any and all info you have.  Thanks!

- Chops

PS:  Hope we can get a Cedar Rapids Mustachian meet-up together this fall when we're there!

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
Re: Moving to Cedar Rapids, IA
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 07:17:36 AM »
If you like bike culture, then look into RAGBRAI.

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 07:38:42 AM »
Iowa is a great state for biking and outdoors activities in general.  You probably know that Cedar Rapids had a very serious flood in 2008:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_flood_of_2008 

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 08:12:49 AM »
I used to live in Iowa City, it's a great place, more liberal minded than much of Iowa.  I've never been to Cedar Rapids, though.

taekvideo

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 09:15:08 AM »
I live in Marion, a suburb of Cedar Rapids.
I found a house in a low income / working class area here that I just love (cost $60k and I rent out the 3 extra rooms for $850/month... I pretty much live here for free hah)

Cedar Rapids isn't that big of a city, but it's big enough to have a ghetto and other high crime hotspots which you may want to stay away from.
Marion on the other hand has one of the lowest crime rates in the country, and one of the highest police per capita ratios as well (not entirely unrelated stats ^^)

I don't think you'd be able to cut down trees for your stove... unless you bought a place on the outskirts with enough trees on your own land.

I'd be down for a meet-up if you decide to host one.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 10:25:32 AM »
I love Iowa City. Cedar Rapids, not so much.

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 07:27:12 AM »
So the cost of living is clearly lower than CT - is this across the board, or mostly just real estate?

Thanks!

- Chops

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 09:24:12 AM »
Beginning to look for apartments / houses in Cedar Rapids - can you please give me your recomendations for Mustachian locations to live (ideally walking distance to grocery stores / library / schools?)

Thanks!

- Chops

FireDAD

• Stubble
  • firedad.blog
    • FireDAD Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 10:03:36 AM »
Welcome to Iowa! I live in Davenport and have lived in CR before.

Here is the thing about CR. it is broken into 4 parts. I lived on the SW side and i think that's the side to be on. You can live in a nice neighborhood with close access to the awesome bike path the splits the town. Try and live near the Hy-Vee there and that will be pretty central.

The cost of living is about as cheap as it gets in the US without the deep, rural south.

Flatlander

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 11:58:48 AM »
Chops,
Welcome to IA.  I have lived in Cedar Rapids for 15 years now. 

As kevinb421 pointed out, Cedar Rapids, is divided into quadrants.  I live on the SE side and we love it.  The SE side has the 1 "bad" area in town (Wellington Heights neighborhood), but it is not that bad, and if you are more than a few blocks from it you won't know it is there.   

Here is a brief summary I found of the quadrants:

Cedar Rapids is tilted at a 45 degree angle thanks to the river, so the city is generally divided into four quadrants (NW, NE, SW, SE). SE is the most diverse, with the wealthiest areas of the city and also the most troubled. Wellington Heights is the neighborhood directly east of downtown, and is usually considered to be the worst area in Cedar Rapids. 19th Street is the historical divider between troubled Wellington Heights and the more affluent Knollwood area. This area has a wide array of architecture, with many historic homes including the Brucemore Mansion.

The NE is the most expansive side of Cedar Rapids, generally a good bet and where the majority of apartments, shopping centers, and retail stores can be found. The suburb Marion is one of the fastest growing cities in the state. This area is home to Lindale Mall and Rockwell Collins' corporate HQ and main campus.

The NW is a small area that is generally very nice and characterized as being more secluded and hilly. Near the river and just NW of downtown is the neighborhood known as Time Check that was largely wiped out by the 2008 flood.

The SW is the industrial side of the city, with pockets of decent neighborhoods and other pockets that should be avoided. There are a number of seedy apartment complexes on the SW side. This is the other big retail side of Cedar Rapids, stretching along Edgewood Rd. It is also home to Hawkeye Downs racetrack and Kingston Stadium. Areas near the river and stretching over to I-380 were hit very hard by the flood and some still have not recovered.

This info is pretty spot on.  There are nice neighborhoods in all quadrants and not a lot of things to stay away from.  A few years ago I would have said CR was not a very bike friendly town, but that is changing quickly.  Most of downtown and a lot of the other major streets are having dedicated bike lanes added now.  There are quite a few trails for riding, and in general biking around town has gotten much better.  There were massive floods in 2008, and parts of the city are still recovering. There have also been a lot of positives to come out of the flood recovery (New Bohemia neighborhood, Czech village and downtown have all seen a lot of revival efforts after the flood). 

Anyway, my family and I love it here.  If you have any questions or even want to meet in person we would be happy to show you around town, or just meet and greet, just PM me. 

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 08:15:07 AM »
Thanks very much for the replies!  Great info here. 

Looking forward to moving to a very mustachian corner of the country!

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 10:38:19 AM »
So my fiance is about to make the move to Cedar Rapids next week and we are looking into electric providers. (I'm still looking for a job there - let me know if anyone is looking for a finance guy! :) 

I looked online and found a lot of electric providers but no real comparison of quality/costs - so I figured the mustachians in the area would already know the best and least expensive provider? 

Bonus:  I love that Iowa uses wind generation for 27% of their electricity!!   

Thanks so much!!

- Chops

scfishy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 10:52:11 AM »
NE side checking in. Alliant is the only company that I've ever used for electric, so I can't chime in about others. I actually didn't know we had more options.

Cedar Rapids is kinda bike friendly, kinda not. A lot of places have no sidewalk and no shoulder on the road. I stay away from all of the major roads, but I can always find routes to get around. There is a decent triathlon community around here, so you'll see a fair number of folks out biking.

Aldi is awesome for groceries aside from fruits and veggies. We kept having bad luck with those, so we are buying produce at Sam's Club until we get our garden going next year.

Welcome to CR!

FireDAD

• Stubble
  • firedad.blog
    • FireDAD Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 11:43:02 AM »
So my fiance is about to make the move to Cedar Rapids next week and we are looking into electric providers. (I'm still looking for a job there - let me know if anyone is looking for a finance guy! :) 

I looked online and found a lot of electric providers but no real comparison of quality/costs - so I figured the mustachians in the area would already know the best and least expensive provider? 

Bonus:  I love that Iowa uses wind generation for 27% of their electricity!!   

Thanks so much!!

- Chops

Iowa isnt deregulated. You won't really have a choice of electrical providers =(

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 12:41:08 PM »
So if there's no choice in Iowa for electricity, meaning each provider has a certain zone that is their exclusive territory?  We are going to be settling in the NE, so is that all Alliant?  Or is it split on a smaller scale?

Here in CT, it is deregulated  so you have your choice of ~20 providers and can choose depending on quality and cost. 

Thanks for your input!

- Chops

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 02:40:12 PM »
Almost forgot, what's the best (and least expensive, after all, this is the MMM forum) option for internet around Cedar Rapids?  All I've seen so far is mediacom.

We currently use AT&T 1.5 mbts for $22/month, so speed is not really something I'm looking for.  Consistentcy and frugality are more our taste.

Thanks again!

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 06:00:37 PM »
All I know is don't speed on 380 when driving through town, they installed speed trap cameras.

My future brother-in-law got nailed driving through CR on his way to St Louis. Maybe they only target people with out of state plates? ;)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 06:33:43 PM »
We drove through that area last months, and the wind farms are spectacular!

That part of Iowa is elevated yet flat as a pancake, so perfect for the farms.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 07:32:02 PM »
I don't live in CR, so cannot advise on specifics.  I live in iowa city for school and work for many years and is my favorite place.
I live in Des Moines, our electric provider is MidAmerican energy (part of the warren buffet portfolio).

I just want to welcome you to Iowa - since the a minor election year and the ramp up for the next prez election, you are warned thar you are going to have access to national politicians like never before!  If you this is of interest, it is great - but it can get old/tiring when it is at fever pitch.

We may be able to do an Iowa meet up - that would be great!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 11:07:14 PM »
I don't live in CR, so cannot advise on specifics.  I live in iowa city for school and work for many years and is my favorite place.
I live in Des Moines, our electric provider is MidAmerican energy (part of the warren buffet portfolio).

I just want to welcome you to Iowa - since the a minor election year and the ramp up for the next prez election, you are warned thar you are going to have access to national politicians like never before!  If you this is of interest, it is great - but it can get old/tiring when it is at fever pitch.

Ditto to the access to Presidential candidates, they work that I-80 corridor.

I always used to joke that during primary time, I could come downstairs in the morning and find Hilary in my kitchen, pouring coffee. Rick Santorum would be outside, shoveling snow on my sidewalk.

They really are all over the place.

scfishy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 07:32:41 AM »
Almost forgot, what's the best (and least expensive, after all, this is the MMM forum) option for internet around Cedar Rapids?  All I've seen so far is mediacom.

We currently use AT&T 1.5 mbts for $22/month, so speed is not really something I'm looking for.  Consistentcy and frugality are more our taste.

Thanks again!

We switch back and forth between Mediacom and Centurylink to take advantage of the deals. Everyone hates Mediacom. They were alright for me, but did drop off a fair bit. I have had better luck with Centurylink. There is another cable provider called ImOn, but that isn't available everywhere and I don't have any personal experience with them.

[Edit to add detail] You can switch every year, I believe, and get the deal as a new customer. We also switch back and forth putting it in my name and my wife's name. We pay around $39 after tax and modem right now for Centurylink, but we'll be switching back to Mediacom in a couple of months. I bought a modem for Mediacom to save the monthly charge on that, but haven't gotten a DSL modem yet.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 07:44:33 AM by scfishy »

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 06:22:47 PM »

Ditto to the access to Presidential candidates, they work that I-80 corridor.

I always used to joke that during primary time, I could come downstairs in the morning and find Hilary in my kitchen, pouring coffee. Rick Santorum would be outside, shoveling snow on my sidewalk.

They really are all over the place.

Too true!  You can easily host an event for one of the candidates at your house if you want (likely involves large donations to specific party and/or candidate). They love the 'real American' profile, everyday person angle "john smith, 4th generation farmer, hosted candidate x......"

jpdcpajd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 08:42:24 PM »
Born and Raised

In CR
Make sure to stop by Starlite room for a Burger 1st Ave
Sip n Stir for what Brent Musburger calls the best Pizza he has ever had. 1st Ave
Maid Rite Loose meat sandwiches.

in Iowa City
Pagliais pizza 
airliner pizza (owned by fmr NBA player Brad Lohaus)
Vitos/ Vine/ Mondos

North Liberty (north of Iowa city)
Joensys (sp?) Pork Tenderloin sandwich size of a frisbee

joe travers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 09:37:28 AM »
If you like bike culture, then look into RAGBRAI.

+1. Such a great event. Not exactly mustachian though, but definitely worth checking out!

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 12:06:32 PM »
Iowa born and raised here, and currently living a couple of hours northeast of CR.  I lived in CR one summer during college, and lived in Iowa City for three years.

I think you will find pockets of CR to be more affordable than Iowa City.  Both are nice and have their respective virtues.  I think CR is likely more affordable and seems to be experiencing a renaissance after the floods.  The have an up-and-coming farmer's market.  Cost of living in Iowa is a nice perk... you will notice it on some of the day-to-day things -- gas, milk, groceries, car insurance.

Heating with wood is very possible in CR.  There are new state regulations, though, on transporting wood between counties.  This is due to concerns about spreading Emerald Ash Borer, which has just come to our state.

Alliant is your electric company.  This is a regulated state.  If you're interested in saving money with them, check into their rebate and time-of-day meter programs.

The New Pioneer Food Co-Op (based in Iowa City) is said to be expanding to CR.  It's a pretty nifty place.  The Co-Op also has a couple of locations in Iowa City and Coralville.

The whole "corridor" between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids is developing at a rapid rate.  If you want to go car-free or do more biking, I'd recommend living in Iowa City/Coralville/North Liberty.  But, certain areas of Iowa City can get land-locked.  Iowa City and Coralville each have very good bus systems and transit passes are a deal.  The University of Iowa maintains a free bus system called "Cambus" which is helpful to get around between campus locations.  The City of Iowa City is progressive and involved in Mustachian initiatives like awarding grants for the installation of permeable pavers (we had friends who did it.)  Coralville (to the west of Iowa City... they run together) is sort of a commerce hub with lots of restaurants and shops.  It has just about every big box store you could imagine, and a large mall.  It has a Target right in the mall.

Costco is right on the northwest corner of Iowa City/Coralville, near I-380.  It's a very nice one, in a converted warehouse with covered parking.

Iowa City has super-awesome public transit and biking options -- much better than CR.  But, you will pay more for housing and there tend to be housing shortages.  On the other hand, it depends on what you're looking for.

Should you ever need it (hope not) the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics is top notch.  It's just nice knowing it's there.

As for Iowa and Iowans -- I'm rather fond of them in general.  We don't all farm and we don't chomp on hayseeds:-)  We didn't bounce off the turnip truck yesterday:-)  I've lived outside of Iowa (Chicago, Wisconsin) but like being back here.  There is an ethic here that's earnest and hard-working and our bullshit meters are intact.  I don't think any place is the "end all be all" and some are better than others, but it really is a civilized place and the people are approachable.  It's a good place to build a life.  Oh, and historically speaking Iowa has been quietly going about the business of being a place where humanitarian values are respected.  I think the media --particularly because of the presidential campaigns and the pandering that goes on -- likes to portray us with the hayseed image sometimes.  Not true!  We've been on the front end of many progressive causes and a great number of the "average" people I know have a "live and let live" attitude.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 05:13:17 PM »
Iowa born and raised here, and currently living a couple of hours northeast of CR.  I lived in CR one summer during college, and lived in Iowa City for three years.

I think you will find pockets of CR to be more affordable than Iowa City.  Both are nice and have their respective virtues.  I think CR is likely more affordable and seems to be experiencing a renaissance after the floods.  The have an up-and-coming farmer's market.  Cost of living in Iowa is a nice perk... you will notice it on some of the day-to-day things -- gas, milk, groceries, car insurance.

Heating with wood is very possible in CR.  There are new state regulations, though, on transporting wood between counties.  This is due to concerns about spreading Emerald Ash Borer, which has just come to our state.

Alliant is your electric company.  This is a regulated state.  If you're interested in saving money with them, check into their rebate and time-of-day meter programs.

The New Pioneer Food Co-Op (based in Iowa City) is said to be expanding to CR.  It's a pretty nifty place.  The Co-Op also has a couple of locations in Iowa City and Coralville.

The whole "corridor" between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids is developing at a rapid rate.  If you want to go car-free or do more biking, I'd recommend living in Iowa City/Coralville/North Liberty.  But, certain areas of Iowa City can get land-locked.  Iowa City and Coralville each have very good bus systems and transit passes are a deal.  The University of Iowa maintains a free bus system called "Cambus" which is helpful to get around between campus locations.  The City of Iowa City is progressive and involved in Mustachian initiatives like awarding grants for the installation of permeable pavers (we had friends who did it.)  Coralville (to the west of Iowa City... they run together) is sort of a commerce hub with lots of restaurants and shops.  It has just about every big box store you could imagine, and a large mall.  It has a Target right in the mall.

Costco is right on the northwest corner of Iowa City/Coralville, near I-380.  It's a very nice one, in a converted warehouse with covered parking.

Iowa City has super-awesome public transit and biking options -- much better than CR.  But, you will pay more for housing and there tend to be housing shortages.  On the other hand, it depends on what you're looking for.

Should you ever need it (hope not) the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics is top notch.  It's just nice knowing it's there.

As for Iowa and Iowans -- I'm rather fond of them in general.  We don't all farm and we don't chomp on hayseeds:-)  We didn't bounce off the turnip truck yesterday:-)  I've lived outside of Iowa (Chicago, Wisconsin) but like being back here.  There is an ethic here that's earnest and hard-working and our bullshit meters are intact.  I don't think any place is the "end all be all" and some are better than others, but it really is a civilized place and the people are approachable.  It's a good place to build a life.  Oh, and historically speaking Iowa has been quietly going about the business of being a place where humanitarian values are respected.  I think the media --particularly because of the presidential campaigns and the pandering that goes on -- likes to portray us with the hayseed image sometimes.  Not true!  We've been on the front end of many progressive causes and a great number of the "average" people I know have a "live and let live" attitude.

Yep, yep, yep... I find that you like where you live because of the people, and in that regard you find good people everywhere. Some places have fewer irritants or or other issues (col, commute time/traffic, crime rate, access to entertainment, etc. you enjoy). Overall, I think the Midwest is under rated as being a good place to live.

I LOVE new pioneer co-op, I am still a member after moving to AZ and moving back to iowa (but 100 miles away). They are opening a store in CR.
You can likely find good housing options in North Liberty, or Solon with reasonable commute, depending on where work is located.

You should check out Solon Beef Days, and other local activities, there is some local event every weekend in multiple towns/cities.
 Since there's a university in Iowa City there are more than the average number of free events.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 06:11:11 PM by G-dog »

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 03:38:26 PM »
All,

Thanks for the inputs here guys!  Very very good information for a newbie to CR. 

I just moved my fiancee in this weekend, and our first impressions are:

- Everyone is incredibly nice! (big plus)
 - Everyone seems pretty mustachian (lots of bike riding, not a BMW/Benz to be seen, people mow their own lawns, grocery/library/parks are all nearby.  FYI - these border on heresy in anti-mustachian CT)
 - Gas and housing are cheap (big plus towards paying down debt!)
 - Hyvee is not cheap (need to find the Aldi!  Are there any other recommendations for grocery?) - The roads are terrible (another reason to ride our 20 year old mountain bikes everywhere?)
 - Humidity/heat is high.  Worse than CT.  Back in CT a window fan has been getting me through the summer.  The fiancee told me she broke down and used an AC after I left!  (I lean more mustachian than her, but she's pretty committed.)  What do you guys do to deal with the heat?

Looking forward to finding a job in CR and then hosting a meetup with you all as soon as I make it here!

Thanks again for all the info! 

- Chops

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2014, 05:01:04 PM »
All,

Thanks for the inputs here guys!  Very very good information for a newbie to CR. 

I just moved my fiancee in this weekend, and our first impressions are:

- Everyone is incredibly nice! (big plus)
 - Everyone seems pretty mustachian (lots of bike riding, not a BMW/Benz to be seen, people mow their own lawns, grocery/library/parks are all nearby.  FYI - these border on heresy in anti-mustachian CT)
 - Gas and housing are cheap (big plus towards paying down debt!)
 - Hyvee is not cheap (need to find the Aldi!  Are there any other recommendations for grocery?) - The roads are terrible (another reason to ride our 20 year old mountain bikes everywhere?)
 - Humidity/heat is high.  Worse than CT.  Back in CT a window fan has been getting me through the summer.  The fiancee told me she broke down and used an AC after I left!  (I lean more mustachian than her, but she's pretty committed.)  What do you guys do to deal with the heat?

Looking forward to finding a job in CR and then hosting a meetup with you all as soon as I make it here!

Thanks again for all the info! 

- Chops

Welcome to Iowa!

The summer has been mild until recently - lucky you! This heat and humidity is typically most summers (actually hotter than this is common). You deal by using air conditioning, and/or fans. The nice thing about AC is that it also helps reduce the humidity inside.

CR has had flooding in the last few years, that probably didn't help the street condition. I don't live there so don't know if this is typical or not.

There are Aldi's in Iowa. Also look for Fareway (usually have good meat).  Hy-vee sale prices are often good.  Food prices have gone up very noticeably this summer!  There is also Costco or Sam's Club, Walmarts with groceries...

There are those with fancy cars in Iowa, and lots of big-as trucks and SUVs.

Glad you made it here OK.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
Iowa has fabulous soil, you will have a good garden, most likely.

On our recent trip to the Twin cities I just wanted to pushed DH and the dog out of the car, freeing room to load up on Iowa topsoil to bring back here to the Land of Clay where I live.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2014, 08:00:47 PM »
Iowa has fabulous soil, you will have a good garden, most likely.

On our recent trip to the Twin cities I just wanted to pushed DH and the dog out of the car, freeing room to load up on Iowa topsoil to bring back here to the Land of Clay where I live.

You have fabulous soil in some areas, but builders strip off the topsoil and sell it.  And, we have clay too in our part of Iowa....
But, you can still garden!

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2015, 10:53:15 AM »
Hey all -

So I finally found a job in Cedar Rapids and moved out here this winter.  Thanks again for all the advice!!

Now that it's warming up I figured a meetup is in order - see:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/cedar-rapids/msg597883/#msg597883

Hope to meet you - let's find a date that works for as many as possible.

- Chops

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!