Author Topic: Moving to Bahrain - should I sell my cars?  (Read 3762 times)

oldfierm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Moving to Bahrain - should I sell my cars?
« on: September 28, 2015, 11:20:36 AM »
Hello everyone, my wife and I are very likely moving to Bahrain for two years, and although I am authorized to take one car, most folks who have been there tell me it's not a great idea.  It's hard on cars, easier to just get one when you get there and sell it when you leave, etc.  We are debating whether to sell both of our cars before we go, or whether to park them with our parents who would drive them occasionally.  I have an emotional attachment to one of the cars, and just can't bear parting with it, but if you guys tell me it's the right thing to do, I will sell!

Car #1:
2005 Acura TSX
96K miles, 6-spd manual
pretty great condition
paid for long ago
I love her

Car #2:
2008 Ford Explorer
60K miles
also great condition
13K left to pay at 2% interest
This one I'm less attached to, due to my awareness that it is a gas guzzler and otherwise a complete clown car.
We are using it now to haul stuff for a house remodel, but probably wouldn't need to in the future. 

What do you guys think?? 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: Moving to Bahrain - should I sell my cars?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 11:25:49 AM »
I'd be hard pressed to sell a manual transmission TSX as well. Definitely sell the Explorer.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 11:27:59 AM »
X2. Definitely sell the Explorer.

The TSX... well, how much do you think you could get for it? And if you had to buy this car again (or a similar one) when you came back, how much would it be? Honestly at 10 years old and almost 100k miles, I'd say you're on the end of the depreciation curve. I'd keep it unless you REALLY need the cash.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 11:28:58 AM »
I think you should take the advice of the people who have been there. Don't take any cars, but see what the situation is like when you get there. Buy local if you need to.

In two years, you will be different people. I don't think you'll be attached to your Acura anymore. When you return you can get another Acura if you still want it, but you don't have to worry about maintenance, security, registration, etc, in the mean time.

MEER

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 12:05:39 PM »
Hi future neighbour. I live in Qatar. I have never owned a car in my life, so I may not be the best person to give advice since I can't relate to the sentimental attachment, but I agree with those who advise against bringing a car. At least here, cars (good used cars and new cars) are plentiful. I've been in the region for numerous years, and I've known maybe one person to bring a car.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 12:41:04 PM »
Regarding keeping a car that won't be driven much, you'll experience some decline in the condition of the car. You have to decide whether you want to deal with the maintenance hassles. Tires, shocks, battery, fuel and exhaust systems all suffer. Are you storing it indoors, on blocks, etc. It's also expensive to keep insurance, registration, and personal property taxes (as applies to your location) going on the car for two years. Definitely cheaper to sell it and buy something else when you get back.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 01:07:34 PM »
Financially speaking, dump them both.  Obviously, if you're only dumping one, dump the clown car.
Keep in mind that even if you park the Acura somewhere, you still need to insure it in case it somehow catches fire or blows up and damages property (such as a relative's garage).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 01:09:30 PM by frugaliknowit »

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 02:42:35 PM »
Sell the Explorer, for sure.

But the TSX, I'd personally sit on it.

Only way I would sell is I were going to sit on the funds and purchase a nicer car when I returned.

oldfierm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 06:54:26 AM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone!  I discussed it with my wife, and we are definitely selling the SUV.  We'll wait a few months and decide on the Acura.  Logistically, it may just be easier to sell them both and start fresh when we return (not even sure where we would be returning to) with more sensible vehicles. 

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 06:59:07 AM »
If you're going to have to pay to park it (which sounds like you are) then I would definitely just sell both. You may end up moving back and not needing a car at all, who knows.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 07:45:13 AM »
I agree that you don't know how you're going to feel (or what you're going to do) in two years.  Sell them both and be done with it.