Author Topic: moving service for elderly family member  (Read 1252 times)

wotan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
moving service for elderly family member
« on: January 02, 2020, 07:37:02 AM »
Father in law presently living in assisted care in Myrtle Beach. he's moving to NJ to be closer to us. lives in a 1 bedroom apartment. any ideas on how to move him? he's 90 and not in the best physical shape. any companies that specialize in this kind of move?

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
Re: moving service for elderly family member
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 01:51:41 PM »
You could contact a retirement home/senior living community in the town where he lives and ask them for referrals to people who help the elderly downsize.  I have two friends who do this as a part time business, but neither is in S.C.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 01:58:21 PM »
Check out National Association of Senior Move Managers
https://www.nasmm.org/index.cfm

We just moved mom into a CCRC and they provided a company called Wayforth, but I don't think they service Florida.  The move was exceptional.  From planning, to advice on downsizing, to packing, moving, and UNPACKING.  I've never seen any company as professional.  They were so kind and helpful and never once looked bored while my mom told them the story of every single item that they started to go through.  We did eventually take her out of the house while they packed, but the first meeting was taking forever and they were clearly used to dealing with old people.

wotan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 07:35:54 AM »
went with a company called IMRG.
cost about $1550 to move FIL about 650 miles.
I'll let you know how it goes.