Author Topic: Moving out, found a studio type 1/1 efficiency except need advice  (Read 2448 times)

Emergo

• Stubble
Hello guys

So i found a nice private owned condo home at a cheap price. Yeah theres no bedroom but im a single man who doesnt need all that. The only problem is, the inside looked dirty compared to the other one showed to me that was the exact same model. Now, the realtor guy says once i get into contract they will hire a cleaning crew and do some new painting. But my issue is why cant they just do that first before needing me to get into contract? Somethings fishy. However he did mention that during the first thirty days if i find anything wrong with utilities, the landlord will fix it.

So my question to you brothers and sisters is. What should i lookout for during the negotiation period? Things i should say to the guy? Im pretty much set on moving out and im just hoping it looks much better when its cleaned up. Because the realtor agent showed it to me probably just 2 days after the last tenant left. They even left their passport there lol. Any things you guys think i should make sure it works like utilities? It does have its own washer and dryer. Thanks much appreciated.

Emergo

• Stubble
Re: Moving out, found a studio type 1/1 efficiency except need advice
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 06:00:31 AM »
Its like a 440 sq feet studio. For $675 in houston. In a nice area full of old folks and quiet condo complex.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 06:16:09 AM »
I would check and make sure all the following work (actually turn them on and off):

- All the light switches
- hot and cold water taps
- all the burners on the stove
- oven
- fridge - make sure it runs cold
- washer and dryer

Also, I wouldn't pay or sign the contract until everything is fixed. I might be willing to offer a deposit (e.g. $100) to show that my intent to rent the place is genuine.

Emergo

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 11:52:20 AM »
I would check and make sure all the following work (actually turn them on and off):

- All the light switches
- hot and cold water taps
- all the burners on the stove
- oven
- fridge - make sure it runs cold
- washer and dryer

Also, I wouldn't pay or sign the contract until everything is fixed. I might be willing to offer a deposit (e.g. $100) to show that my intent to rent the place is genuine.

This comes after i turn in my application, correct? After i am verified then i can offer the deposit?

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 12:52:24 PM »
Don't worry about offering an extra deposit. If you apply and follow whatever guidelines they have for that, just tell them that you won't sign the actual lease without seeing the place cleaned and fixed up.

By extension: don't ever sign a lease for a place you haven't seen, or a place you aren't happy with. Once you've signed, some landlords/managers may be less inclined to do what's right.

Emergo

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 02:28:33 PM »
Application form is not the actual lease form right?

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 02:42:02 PM »
You fill out the application, and they check your credit or whatever  background checks they want to do, and then if they accept you, you go back and sign the lease and get the keys. When my rental office sent me a letter that I was accepted, the letter also indicated what the new address was, exactly and specifically what checks I would need to bring with me for the lease signing, and specific information about how to change the utilities.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 02:53:06 PM »
Application is step one. They see if you're qualified based on credit, criminal history, and income.

Step two is approval. They call you or contact you to let you know you were approved, and what the next steps are.

Step three is lease signing. You sign the lease, and get the keys. Before doing this, go through the place again, make sure it's cleaned and fixed up to your liking, photograph and document any deficiencies, and provide a list of said deficiencies to the landlord/management company. You may be fine with some deficiencies (provided they're cosmetic only), but documenting them ensures you won't be charged for them when you move out.