Author Topic: Moving expenses  (Read 2426 times)

frugalfelicia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Moving expenses
« on: January 11, 2017, 05:49:39 AM »
I may be moving in the near future - trying to think of the financial implications and costs associated with moving. Please help me add to the list and think of things I may be forgetting.

(Would be moving from an apartment to either a house or apartment, renting, in the same city)

So far I have thought of:

*first and last months rent
*hydro hook up
*internet hook up
*actually moving stuff, whether this is the cost of renting a truck or paying friends in beer and pizza to help

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Moving expenses
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 06:14:14 PM »
Buying a few things for the new place

Not a cost, but time spent packing, cleaning, cleaning, unpacking, etc.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 06:18:02 PM »
-Food. There are always random condiments, etc, that are low or impossible to transport when they're open. You'll rebuy at your new place.
-If there is any overlapping rent, that's a huge cost
-As miss piggy says, there are always a *couple* things you need. A shelf to make a corner usable, that sort of deal. IME, this adds up to a couple hundred bucks pretty easily, even if you're pretty cautious about it. The smaller the space, the more specific the need, the more it will usually cost. On the other hand, the larger the space, the more of these areas to address. Can add up either way =)

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 02:27:49 AM »
We are moving at the end of the month- I feel your pain.

Carpet cleaning
Boxes and bags and tape for packing
Extra sponges/cleaning chemicals/materials/oven cleaner
Touch up paint/filler for any nail holes
Extra money held for a deposit 'when we rent a truck, they tend to hold an extra $500 on the credit card, in case of damage).
Renting a truck/trolley
Pizza on moving night
Extra petrol
Band aids. Someone always scrapes something
Movie for a DVD rental if you have kids

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 12:47:55 PM »
Not to hijack the thread, but I still laugh about our move...

We were moving from a town in New Mexico to Colorado. About 350 miles. We needed a truck, but a U-Hual 1 way was going to be $1,100 plus gas and we would not have been able to move all of our stuff (large house....lot's o'stuff).

I saw an add for a Budget Truck $19.95 Unlimited mileage. The cool thing was the rental office was closed on weekends, so I rented the truck on a Friday, made three round trips in 2 days and returned it on Monday.

$19.95 plus tax (and fuel of course).

Take that, expensive movers!