Author Topic: Moving, but where?  (Read 6490 times)

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
Moving, but where?
« on: November 06, 2014, 08:25:33 AM »
So I'm in a bit of a predicament, but I would wager it's a good one, and one I've set myself up for.  Long story short, last year I finished taking prerequisites for a Master's in computer science, I ditched my job doing sciencey stuff, and started working as a student/researcher full-time. 

The thing is, I graduate in about a month.  There are few tech jobs here in Indianapolis, and even fewer interesting ones.  A similar idea could be said about my dating prospects as a non-religious individual.  I've always had better experience in finding jobs by actually being in the city in which they are located (from my 3-datapoint survey of my experience in finding jobs), and I would like some flat-out opinions.

When I am able to move (at the start of March), should I move without having found a job?  What are the chances of this utterly failing?  I am looking at (descending order of how much I like the cities):  Seattle, San Jose, Portland, and Denver.  I figure moving for the city and not for the job has its benefits.

I currently have about one year's worth of expenses here that I can tap into, which would probably reduce to 6 months (or less) in another area.  Any help or advice is appreciated.  (I would say I don't currently have a job lined up, because I haven't been diligent about doing applications.  I've been doing one thing at a time, and for now that thing is finishing school.  If that's my issue, by all means let me hear about it.)

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Moving, but where?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 08:26:57 AM »
Know any headhunters? They'd know where to look better than us.

Grid

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 08:32:38 AM »
Know any headhunters? They'd know where to look better than us.

Not really.  :/

If you're interested in Seattle, would you consider Amazon? If so, PM me.

I would, and I will.

MrBuckBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 08:50:18 AM »
I was in a similar boat as you a few years ago!  Tech guy.  Not religious.  Living in Kansas.

I had a short list of cities I wanted -> Boston, Denver, and Portland.  I ended up moving to Boston.  I did so without a job, but I got very lucky and found a tech job the same month I moved here.  However, I wouldn't advise that, I have an unemployed buddy who's a brilliant tech guy, going on his 8th month looking for work.  But all this to say, it *can* be done!

Grid

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 09:30:18 AM »
I was in a similar boat as you a few years ago!  Tech guy.  Not religious.  Living in Kansas.

I had a short list of cities I wanted -> Boston, Denver, and Portland.  I ended up moving to Boston.  I did so without a job, but I got very lucky and found a tech job the same month I moved here.  However, I wouldn't advise that, I have an unemployed buddy who's a brilliant tech guy, going on his 8th month looking for work.  But all this to say, it *can* be done!

Hooray!  It can be done!  I've talked to a couple success stories who have transplanted and done just fine, but if you wouldn't advise that (sounds like it's a 50/50 shot from what you're saying ;)), perhaps it is best to spend a couple months fixing up my house, working on applications and improving my software skills. 

kaizen soze

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 09:40:53 AM »
I would stay where you are while you look, which gives you more time and allows you to search for jobs in any of the cities you mentioned.  Plus others that you're not considering right now but that you might discover would also suit you.  You can always visit a city and couch surf for a few weeks if you set up some interviews.  I live in Seattle, and it's great but also expensive.  I wouldn't move here without a job, but it can and has been done.  Also, for what it's worth, I'm non-religious but met my wife in Tennessee.  Just sayin'.

Grid

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 10:36:53 AM »
I would stay where you are while you look, which gives you more time and allows you to search for jobs in any of the cities you mentioned.  Plus others that you're not considering right now but that you might discover would also suit you.  You can always visit a city and couch surf for a few weeks if you set up some interviews.  I live in Seattle, and it's great but also expensive.  I wouldn't move here without a job, but it can and has been done.  Also, for what it's worth, I'm non-religious but met my wife in Tennessee.  Just sayin'.

I am starting to agree that delaying a move and traveling and couch-surfing to secure a job is a great plan.  All the benefits of job-searching in a city without the need to root oneself there.  I've also made judgments about each of these places without having seen anything but pictures or talked with more than a couple residents.

When it comes to finding a great SO, I don't mind where I meet them!  I'd like to improve my chances if I can.  Though Seattle and the Bay Area have fewer single females than males, I'd like to think that the freethinking spirit of the areas outweighs that unfortunate ratio.  We'll see.  At the very least, I need to explore once I graduate.  It should be fun.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 11:15:22 AM by Grid »

Kansas Beachbum

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 10:48:28 AM »

Where in KS Mr Beard???

FarmFam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 03:58:51 PM »
I agree with others that say stay where you are until you find a job and that most will pay for relocation. 

Here is a link with a list of the top cities with job growth.  I suggest looking in these cities.  http://www.forbes.com/sites/kathryndill/2014/11/04/the-top-10-cities-and-states-for-job-growth/

fireferrets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 04:47:59 PM »
I understand what you mean by having an easier time finding a job in a city in which you already live.
But if you find a really good fit, isn't it worth it to move to where the job is?

FarmFam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 05:06:32 PM »
I understand what you mean by having an easier time finding a job in a city in which you already live.
But if you find a really good fit, isn't it worth it to move to where the job is?

I don't know if this is in relation to what I wrote, but I meant to stay where you are while you search for a job either where you are or in another location.  I didn't mean to say stay where you are and not move.

Grid

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 11:25:14 AM »

It depends on how much quality work time compares with quality city time.  If the work falls into place well, I don't imagine it being difficult to settle somewhere if there isn't some other crazy reason not to like the city where I work.  I'm really entertaining the thought of getting the best of both worlds.  You have a point, just like others in this thread - find the job first.  It makes all sorts of cents (and sense).

magnuminator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 03:51:55 PM »

I am starting to agree that delaying a move and traveling and couch-surfing to secure a job is a great plan.  All the benefits of job-searching in a city without the need to root oneself there.  I've also made judgments about each of these places without having seen anything but pictures or talked with more than a couple residents.

When it comes to finding a great SO, I don't mind where I meet them!  I'd like to improve my chances if I can.  Though Seattle and the Bay Area have fewer single females than males, I'd like to think that the freethinking spirit of the areas outweighs that unfortunate ratio.  We'll see.  At the very least, I need to explore once I graduate.  It should be fun.

I was born and raised in/around Seattle and live near the center of the city now.  It has pros (mountains nearby, UW, etc) and cons (expensive, getting around is awful) that should be weighed and have been discussed from time to time in other threads.  I'd just like to add that I would not personally describe Seattle as "freethinking" if by that you mean home to a diverse range of opinions and values.  Instead, it's a pretty homogenous place as far as politics and such go.  The rule here is mainstream progressive liberalism, generally taken neat and without much critical review. 

I'm hardly a conservative, but I would like for more conservatives to move here to try to restore some kind of balance in the force.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!