Author Topic: Moving back to the USA - how much liquid do I need?  (Read 1077 times)

Billy B. Good

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Moving back to the USA - how much liquid do I need?
« on: January 17, 2020, 07:50:08 PM »
After a dozen years working abroad I will this year be returning to live in the USA. Because my living expenses have been so low while living abroad I maintained very low liquid reserve (Vanguard Prime Money Market). In anticipation of moving back to the USA I have increased my liquid reserve over the last year, since we will have start up costs (travel back to the USA for family of 4, buy a car, apartment rental costs, furnishings, starting parochial school, etc.), essentially setting up a new household and getting the 2 little kids in school (kinder and pre-k).

Everything we buy will be cheap and used as we get our feet on the ground and established in our Midwestern city. I expect start-up costs will be around $30k with a used car and all the rest. Monthly household expenses should be under $4k per month, hopefully closer to $3k. I am confident I will be employed soon enough and earning more than sufficient to cover monthly expenses.

Of course there is always a risk it may take longer than expected to get the right job.

I am trying to figure out how much liquid I need to have accumulated as this move approaches. I have put off much of my monthly investing over the last year or so in order to build up a cash reserve of about $75k. Now I am trying to figure out how much is enough so I can get back to the approach of investing our savings rather than just squirreling away in a money market account.

How much do you think is enough? Want to help me think this through? What information do you need to help me analyze?

What questions leap out at you? What am I not considering?

Thank you very much.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Re: Moving back to the USA - how much liquid do I need?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 07:57:28 PM »
Your biggest "problem" is going to be convincing prospective landlords that you can make rent without having verifiable income. Past income from outside the US will be viewed suspiciously.

Nothing that some brokerage account statements can't fix, just be prepared to do some explaining and convincing.

Billy B. Good

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Moving back to the USA - how much liquid do I need?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 08:03:46 PM »
Your biggest "problem" is going to be convincing prospective landlords that you can make rent without having verifiable income. Past income from outside the US will be viewed suspiciously.

Nothing that some brokerage account statements can't fix, just be prepared to do some explaining and convincing.

Hopefully I will have employment secured before arriving back to the USA that will satisfy a landlord's income requirements. If I don't, I will be prepared as you suggest. Thanks for reminding me of this.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!