Author Topic: Moving and storage advice (Pods)  (Read 2030 times)

themagicman

• Bristles
Moving and storage advice (Pods)
« on: October 26, 2016, 08:43:34 AM »
I am going to be building a new home and putting our current home on the market. There might be a month or two between the two and I will need to store my stuff. What is the most cost effective way to do this? Should I use a pod and just hire a moving company to load and unload it when I move in? Any advice on using pods is appreciated!

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Moving and storage advice (Pods)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 11:31:08 AM »
If both homes are relatively close to each other, just use a "public" storage facility that you or local movers load into & unload from. DS has done this for his university apartment contents during summer internships in a different city when he was changing his university apartment rather than subletting for the summer. (CubeSmart was especially nice.) However, he may use a POD service if he accepts a full time job in another city, because we don't know how quickly he will move into an apartment there.

The advantage to PODs is when the homes are in different cities or you want to pack over time. If you need more than 1 POD, you should inventory what goes into each POD so that you can choose to deliver just the one you want when you need it. Friends of ours used PODs & their house move required 27 of them! PODs may be a bit more expensive than conventional moving & storage but of course you should price all options.

themagicman

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 11:33:55 AM »
If both homes are relatively close to each other, just use a "public" storage facility that you or local movers load into & unload from. DS has done this for his university apartment contents during summer internships in a different city when he was changing his university apartment rather than subletting for the summer. (CubeSmart was especially nice.) However, he may use a POD service if he accepts a full time job in another city, because we don't know how quickly he will move into an apartment there.

The advantage to PODs is when the homes are in different cities or you want to pack over time. If you need more than 1 POD, you should inventory what goes into each POD so that you can choose to deliver just the one you want when you need it. Friends of ours used PODs & their house move required 27 of them! PODs may be a bit more expensive than conventional moving & storage but of course you should price all options.

They are within about 5 miles so that is a good thought. Do you think that would be a cheaper route? (Including paying the movers to load and unload an extra time because they are putting it into the unit)

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 04:42:15 PM »
Unless you are planning to pack the POD(s) yourself, the mover load/unload portion of the cost is the same.
DS has a one bedroom apartment with desk, living room furniture, dining table & chairs, & kitchen contents, no appliances except a mini fridge. He paid about $275 per move between apartment & storage unit that was about 5 miles apart & included the truck, gas, & movers. Climate controlled first floor 10 x 12 storage cost about $175/month times 3 months. Total cost = $1084, which was way cheaper than renting an empty apartment for the summer.