Author Topic: Moving again / Better Quality of Life!  (Read 4310 times)

Bearblastbeats

Moving again / Better Quality of Life!
« on: October 04, 2012, 09:38:10 AM »
So after my three month stint in a small town 5 miles from my work, living by myself and my loyal companion of a dog and covering household expenses solo, I have decided to move back to the city I moved from initially. I am adding a 20 mile commute back to my schedule in order to live with my SO as well as our best friends. Sounds ludicrous!

Well, for the quality of life I think not.

Currently, I live alone. Away from friends. No place to play my drums. And living on top of a business I cannot even play music until after 8. Im a musician and being able to not enjoy a little Steely Dan while dish washing is a HUGE burden to me, since I favor music and activity over TV and being dormant.

This place is wonderful, if I was a quiet little mouse. $750 a month with all utilities included. I pay $35 a month for internet and my commute now is less than 5 miles. However, my friends are 30 minutes away, and my family another 40 on top of that.

My new plan I feel would be better for me at the expense of a little commute.

We are moving into a 3 bedroom, 2 full bath, 2000 SF house at $1575/month with nothing included.
My SO and I are paying $300 each plus share of utilities.
Our two roommates agreed to pay $487.50 each with share of utilities.
Since we as a unit are paying $112.50 a month more for technically less space, since we are in one bedroom we are getting one full bathroom to ourselves.

I think this is a reasonable way to split the cost. Especially since, the three of them all work in the city and I am the ONLY on who has a commute to work.

ALSO, this is the best part. Since we are getting a house, it has a almost finished basement with 9 foot ceilings. This is going to be my band room. One of the main reasons I'm willing to do this!!!

My budget will technically be the same. What I'm not paying in rent is just added back to commuting cost. So instead of $750 a month/ no commute, I'm not paying $300 a month/ ±$200 for gas a month to commute.

Sounds pretty legit?

Bearblastbeats

Re: Moving again / Better Quality of Life!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 09:48:23 AM »
I was a little excited in the rant and forgot to ask for advice...

Since I am currently driving a paid for 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Would it make sense to keep the jeep and suffer the mileage and save up for a newer more fuel efficient car in a few months... or should I hop on the idea of getting a 2001 Hyundai Accent for $1000 and expedite my savings for a newer more fuel efficient car?

gdborton

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 09:50:47 AM »
Personally I couldn't give up $750 utilities included + 5 minute commute, but I'm not a musician.  Are your potential roommates aware of how loud a drum set really is?  At our last apartment, when we were outside, we could hear a kid two blocks down banging away in his garage with the door closed.  Also would you be ok with your roommates having a party or potentially inviting people that you don't know into your home?

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 10:00:47 AM »
Personally I couldn't give up $750 utilities included + 5 minute commute, but I'm not a musician.  Are your potential roommates aware of how loud a drum set really is?  At our last apartment, when we were outside, we could hear a kid two blocks down banging away in his garage with the door closed.  Also would you be ok with your roommates having a party or potentially inviting people that you don't know into your home?

All of that I've all ready considered. The roommates we are getting have lived with me in a house before I moved. I used to put on DIY house shows with bands in the basement every month and since we are all music lovers/ musicians I think it is not a real issue. I wouldn't be playing in the garage, I would be playing in the basement and a little sound proofing will help.

I also think having the company of people around me will be fine. Living alone currently has been depressing and I never do anything outside my current apartment. Plus, every weekend I spend the weekend at my girlfriends apartment where the four of us hang out anyway.

I'm just trying to think that this will help me save money over all.

gdborton

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 10:10:21 AM »
Living alone currently has been depressing and I never do anything outside my current apartment.

I feel your pain here, I moved to my current apartment about a month before my GF.  It was a nice man cave experience for the first week or so, but after that got lonely.

This might help you estimate the money you'd save by switching cars (there is more cost in commuting than just gas).  Also be sure you are getting a solid car, saving $50 a week in gas isn't going to help you if you break down every month.

http://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/YourDrivingCosts2011.pdf

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 10:23:33 AM »
Yea, my current jeep has cost me so much these past 6 months. Though I got it for free, the first month I spent $500 for a new front end and radiator and fans and what have you. Then just last week the alternator died and that cost me $260 and $90 for a battery, then the month before that the caddy and muffler needed some welding and a straight pipe costing me another $100.

It's going to need new tires by the time it needs inspection in Feb. The truck gets about 12mpg and is on its way out.

gdborton

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 10:33:15 AM »
From the sound of things, a new car is pretty much a must.

Out of curiosity, do you need to break your lease to move so soon?

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 10:42:55 AM »
From the sound of things, a new car is pretty much a must.

Out of curiosity, do you need to break your lease to move so soon?

technically, yes. Because it was written on the lease for a year, but before I moved in my landlady agreed to month to month due to my contractual work and I only guaranteed her to the end of Sept. I gave her a 30 day notice on the first of this month and I forfeited my Sec Dep as last month payment. She tried asking for a $350 termination fee, but no where was it stated in the lease. Also, I'm leaving the apartment freshly painted and clean as "better than" condition than when I moved in.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!