Author Topic: Moving across country; shipping boxes/ stuff  (Read 2250 times)

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
Moving across country; shipping boxes/ stuff
« on: July 01, 2015, 05:28:58 AM »
I am making the move out to San Francisco in a few short weeks and will be flying out solo with a large suitcase and a backpack.
I have been working hard the past few months to downgrade, sell, and donate all items I won't be taking with me but am still left with with about 2-3 large boxes of items I need to ship. These boxes would contain things such as- small cooking ware, clothing such as suits and dress shoes, small appliances, and a keep sake or two.

I really don't have a deep attachment to my stuff but think that it likely will be cheaper and less of a hassle to just ship my quality items listed as opposed to re-buying them all again once out there.

Has any one else been in this spot? What are some of the cheapest options to move things like this across the country when I am flying by my self?

protostache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Moving across country; shipping boxes/ stuff
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 05:58:42 AM »
When I moved across the country in 2007 I was lucky enough to have some friends with a freight dock. They shipped two whole pallets of stuff for me for $300, which seemed like a steal at the time. It sounds like you don't have that much stuff, though.

I would suggest calling FedEx Ground and UPS Ground and getting baseline quotes. They'll want to know weight and dimensions on the boxes to give you an accurate quote. Also, you could try calling up some airline freight docks. They do this all the time and it might end up being cheaper than UPS or FedEx.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
Re: Moving across country; shipping boxes/ stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 07:12:13 AM »
How much to take them with you on the plane?  Can you ship them as freight rather than as luggage on the same flight?