Author Topic: move or stay put  (Read 6184 times)

mc6

• Stubble
move or stay put
« on: February 15, 2013, 08:26:11 PM »
I own a older, smaller condo in the suburbs,  about 5-6 miles from my workplace.  The size and convenience are good, my utilities are all reasonable.  But the downside is the neighborhood seems to be on a decline, with some criminal activity happening literally right outside my door. 

In 2007 I bought for 227K. 
In 2013 appraisal at 191K and just refi-ed into a year mortgage that I plan to pay off by 2027 (the year I will retire and move back home.)  Balance is 152K.

Do I stay put?  Do I move closer to work in a condo setup with more barriers/security?  Do I carry my hatchet and pepper spray at all times while at home?  I would appreciate any advice, as I feel strongly both ways at times. 

clutchy

• Bristles
Re: move or stay put
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 09:28:39 PM »
 5-6 miles it's horrible.  I'm @ 8 miles.

the costs of selling a piece of real property and acquiring another can be quite expensive.  Seems like you have a plan I'd stick to that unless you really do fear for your safety.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 09:35:15 PM »
with some criminal activity happening literally right outside my door.

What kind of criminal activity are we talking about here? Are there blood stains on your door from a triple homicide just outside? Some graffiti from the local teenage hoodlums? Guy hanging around with little baggies who casually exchanges them for wads of money? Prostitutes? Guy stole your wallet and watch?

If you're reasonably fearful for your life, I would get out of there, consequences be damned. If it's just a one-off (getting mugged, but otherwise neighborhood doesn't seem so bad; graffiti), accept that it could have happened anywhere and just be a little more alert when you enter/leave your building. Well, that's what I would do...but don't take my advice (cause if you do and get shot, I don't want to get sued).

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 06:52:52 AM »

What kind of criminal activity are we talking about here? Are there blood stains on your door from a triple homicide just outside? Some graffiti from the local teenage hoodlums? Guy hanging around with little baggies who casually exchanges them for wads of money? Prostitutes? Guy stole your wallet and watch?

If you're reasonably fearful for your life, I would get out of there, consequences be damned. If it's just a one-off (getting mugged, but otherwise neighborhood doesn't seem so bad; graffiti), accept that it could have happened anywhere and just be a little more alert when you enter/leave your building. Well, that's what I would do...but don't take my advice (cause if you do and get shot, I don't want to get sued).

I consider my neighbourhood safe, but we've had a few teenage drug dealers live here.  They live everywhere though.  I agree that if you are fearful for your life, you should move, but otherwise maybe not.

nolajo

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 10:32:15 AM »
Since you're not underwater or anything, you do have some options, thankfully. However, given quite how much selling and/or moving costs, you might be better served staying and getting a security system. It's not especially mustachian, but I believe some insurance companies give discounts on homeowner's insurance if you have them which could offset some of the cost (since they often also send alerts to the fire department if there's a problem) and it would provide peace of mind. It certainly did for me when I was first living without roommates in a fairly crime-ridden city.

Just a thought - a bit of a third option to simply staying or moving. Alternatively, robbers hate small dogs. Maybe you should get one of those? :)

icefr

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 03:53:12 PM »
Since you're not underwater or anything, you do have some options, thankfully. However, given quite how much selling and/or moving costs, you might be better served staying and getting a security system. It's not especially mustachian, but I believe some insurance companies give discounts on homeowner's insurance if you have them which could offset some of the cost (since they often also send alerts to the fire department if there's a problem) and it would provide peace of mind. It certainly did for me when I was first living without roommates in a fairly crime-ridden city.

Just a thought - a bit of a third option to simply staying or moving. Alternatively, robbers hate small dogs. Maybe you should get one of those? :)

A dog could cost more than a security system, if you're simply looking for the cheapest way to feel more secure. Personally, I would go for a dog though :)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 04:19:21 PM »
Ballpark transaction cost @ 10% of the value, so about $20k, presuming you buy a similarly priced place.

KimAB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 04:52:05 PM »
I would also say to move if you fear for your safety.  I wouldn't live anywhere that was truly unsafe and it was in my power to move.  I also agree that it depends what kind of crime it is, but you have to love your home *and* neighbourhood, I think. 

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 07:45:59 PM »

The activity outside my door was 2 folks with no pants under the stairs, possibly without consent of the lady who appeared to be low-functioning.  Two incidents of strange men walking along the back side of the building where there is no sidewalk and no real destination for a walk.  Crack pipe materials in the trash when the upstairs owners cleaned up.  Most recent weirdness was a police helicopter overhead so low and close that it was rattling the windows in the middle of the night.  Nothing by itself that makes me think I should move but just lots of weird incidents that make me uneasy. 

I have had my share of security training and am aware of my surroundings.  For those recommending a small dog and security systems, I have been toying with the idea of buying some security system stickers! 

nolajo

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 08:53:09 PM »

The activity outside my door was 2 folks with no pants under the stairs, possibly without consent of the lady who appeared to be low-functioning.  Two incidents of strange men walking along the back side of the building where there is no sidewalk and no real destination for a walk.  Crack pipe materials in the trash when the upstairs owners cleaned up.  Most recent weirdness was a police helicopter overhead so low and close that it was rattling the windows in the middle of the night.  Nothing by itself that makes me think I should move but just lots of weird incidents that make me uneasy. 

I have had my share of security training and am aware of my surroundings.  For those recommending a small dog and security systems, I have been toying with the idea of buying some security system stickers!

Stickers could definitely help :). The sort of activity you're describing though is a little bit troubling. If you think the neighborhood is generally going down to a level you won't be comfortable with, then I would get out while you have some equity. I mean, isolated hard drug use happens everywhere, but crack pipes showing up with any frequency is a sort of "bad neighborhood" red flag. Ultimately though, that's an evaluation you would have to make based on your comfort/safety and whether you have any intention of ever leaving (while bearing in mind that plans do change and you probably want some ability to sell).