Author Topic: move in with family with longer commute?  (Read 1994 times)

practik

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
move in with family with longer commute?
« on: February 21, 2018, 08:09:41 AM »
Hello friends,

I am a young professional in DC and single. I have been living alone in 1 bedroom/studio in a nice apartment complex with a gym and nice amenities. Was getting a good deal since it was an affordable dwelling unit, but my lease is up and I'm month to month at market price. I am debating a move out to Reston VA from Washington DC to stay with extended family for much cheaper rent. I have about 6 months left in the area before I move out of the state.

Currently I spend quite a bit on housing

DC:
2100/mo for rent + parking
~200 for internet + utilities
so 2300 total
Commute to work: <2 miles. drive 15-20 mins. when the weather is nicer I would occasionally walk, bike, or metro

Moving to virginia would make my commute ~1.5 hours one way with ~10 minute drive to metro, taking 1 hr on metro, then ~10 minute shuttle to work. Or ~1-1.5 hr drive with traffic (~45 mins without traffic). I could study on the metro or relax.
But my rent would decrease to 600 with utilities included
adding cost of metro would be ~280
so 880 total.

I also have loving parents who spoil me and who said they would be willing to help me with rent of I move to encourage this, so potentially I would be saving even more cash.

I would also have to pay movers to help me so have to factor in a bit for that maybe 300 total?

I figure by living with family, I can save money and grow my stache a bit. I would do less eating out/going out with friends in DC since it's further and hopefully spend less on these frivolous purchases. I could also focus more on studying for my board exams which I take at the end of this year. The drawbacks are the very long commute plus the work of moving, especially given that I don't have much longer in the area. I also enjoy living alone and being able to meet people and mingle, which would be more difficult staying with family. I'm not in debt and have a good career. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
Re: move in with family with longer commute?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 06:41:45 AM »
I wouldn't. Your longer commute is not worth it. Traveling over 3 hours per day is really bad. Don't think you can do some good work in transit. It's not a good environment to work or study unless it's really off hours and even then it's not that good. Just think if this $1400 is worth spending 40 hours a month riding a subway. That's about 35/hour so not bad, but you also lose your independance. Also it means your days will likely go to 12+ hours away from home which leaves you with very little free time. As a single it's doable, but expect your personal life to wilt.

Ofcourse there are ways to reduce the travel by driving in off hours or working from home. If that is possible it might be ok for a short time unless you need the time for your studies.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 06:55:48 AM »
Well, I personally don't like Reston and do like DC, but I think that you're probably better off looking around for a lower cost living situation.  If you're living in an apartment, your utilities are way too high.  Also, why are you driving to work unless it's an emergency? 

Start to do some shopping around in DC.  Ask some friends what rent is like where they live in the city.  You have given yourself two options, but you really have many more.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 12:49:48 PM »
I would say no, except you said you're going to be moving out of state in 6 months. So, if you'd be moving again in 6 months regardless, you'd only be doing that yucky commute for a short time. Which is doable.

And see if you can get friends/family to help you move to save money.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 01:21:37 PM »
I would say no, except you said you're going to be moving out of state in 6 months. So, if you'd be moving again in 6 months regardless, you'd only be doing that yucky commute for a short time. Which is doable.

Yeah, that commute sounds horrific, but if it's *just* 6 months for that much of a reduction in rent... I'd probably do it.