Author Topic: Moto X - Internet Connection Unreliable  (Read 4421 times)

MinimalistMoustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Moto X - Internet Connection Unreliable
« on: April 18, 2014, 11:42:16 PM »
After one week, I am disappointed in the MotoX. Republic Wireless has been unresponsive. Internet wasn't accessible on the day of setup. it's also unpleasant to now receive only email advertisements from RW, talking up the Moto G and plan, a package at half the price I paid just 10 days ago. Not meant to be all complainy girl tonight. I'll call them tomorrow. Curious, if anyone else experidnced similar stuff with RW?

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Moto X - Internet Connection Unreliable
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 11:34:37 AM »
Not sure if you're having problems with the wifi on the phone, or your wifi service in general.  How to fix will depend on what's not working.  I started in November and haven't had any problems that weren't caused by me or the wifi I was trying to use.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 11:28:15 PM »
After one week, I am disappointed in the MotoX. Republic Wireless has been unresponsive. Internet wasn't accessible on the day of setup. it's also unpleasant to now receive only email advertisements from RW, talking up the Moto G and plan, a package at half the price I paid just 10 days ago. Not meant to be all complainy girl tonight. I'll call them tomorrow. Curious, if anyone else experidnced similar stuff with RW?
Poster I.P. Daley will be along shortly to comment on Republic's lack of tech support and customer service...

Like Vanguard, Republic sounds great as long as it works.  What holds me back from signing up for their service is when things go wrong.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 01:11:13 AM »
Poster I.P. Daley will be along shortly to comment on Republic's lack of tech support and customer service...

Naah... you've already mentioned it for me. ;)

Besides, I try to keep my M.O. focused on cautioning prospective customers, not rub salt into the wound. The gal just dropped $300 on a cellphone that doesn't work. At this point, it's like shouting at a drowning man to stay away from the edge of the dock. Unfortunately, the only flotation devices that'll work in this situation are owned by Bandwidth.com. If it was any other MVNO, I could probably actually help.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 01:17:17 AM by I.P. Daley »

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 12:53:16 PM »
I must be missing something -- can't MinimalistMoustache simply return the phone and cancel the service?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 03:04:40 PM »
I must be missing something -- can't MinimalistMoustache simply return the phone and cancel the service?

Always a valid option (and probably the only recourse), but I figured we should at least wait to see if any progress was made with Republic first. The biggest problem with the 30 day returns is that they ding you extra fees for "damage" to the handset. If MinM can't establish it's defective with Republic first before return, the smallest scratch could result in losing an extra $50 on the refund.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 08:18:58 PM »

Always a valid option (and probably the only recourse), but I figured we should at least wait to see if any progress was made with Republic first. The biggest problem with the 30 day returns is that they ding you extra fees for "damage" to the handset. If MinM can't establish it's defective with Republic first before return, the smallest scratch could result in losing an extra $50 on the refund.

• Take photos of undamaged phone sitting on top of a newspaper, with the date showing
  • Return phone the same day
  • Dispute charge with credit card company if phone company fails to fully refund?

MinimalistMoustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 04:01:40 PM »

Nords and IP - Thanks for hearing my concerns. Your responses are greatly appreciated. Turns out the phone itself is really nice. The customer service at Republic - not so much. Upon activating the phone (Sunday, April 13), it worked fine for the first 2 hours. After that, the WiFi/data feature would not access the Internet. Since I was ending my Internet experiment at home, I sent Republic an email (from work) the next day asking for assistance. I received a reply to contact a different email address for faster service. I didn't pursue that because when I returned home from work that evening (Mon April 14), the phone WiFi worked perfectly.

Unfortunately, by Friday, April 18 while at work,  the same incident occurred. This time the phone was also randomly freezing and shutting down without warning. Since I still have no Internet at home, I sent them another email from work on Friday, April 18. Saturday, April 19, Republic responded (via email) to my request for assistance with suggestions to put the phone in safe mode, supplying the following troubleshoot: https://community.republicwireless.com/docs/DOC-1852 and advising me to contact them if I had further issues. When I went to attempt the troubleshoot suggested, I again found the phone to work without problem, and it continues to function properly.

On Wednesday April 23, I receive an email from Republic, which starts "You recently submitted a help request and we've been waiting on a response from you for more than 72 hours."  Huh???? Waiting??? I did as they instructed, only to contact them if any further issues.

Maybe I'm paranoid - I'm wondering of the possibility my plan was not set up properly before shipping, or the correct plan wasn't activated by Republic  (unlimited data and texting).

Conclusively, in consulting with hardcore SmartPhone users, I haven't found any of these issues due to my error. Republic Wireless offers a nice Moto X, a good plan -- but their customer service is greatly lacking. So much so, that I may switch to Ting's service plan.

Thanks again!