Author Topic: Mothers day gift ideas  (Read 4833 times)

davef

• Stubble
Mothers day gift ideas
« on: April 27, 2017, 10:25:49 AM »
I need help with some mother's day gift ideas for my wife on her first mother's day as a mother. It doesn't have to be cheap, just thoughtful.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
Re: Mothers day gift ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 10:31:08 AM »
Babysitting.

Lots of attention, hard to get that when there is  a tiny person relying on you for everything.

neither of which is cheap, btw.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 11:17:32 AM »
My first Mother's Day was time for myself.  My ex (he wasn't ex then) bought me a bottle of wine, a book and some bubble bath, took care of our son all day while I soaked, read and napped.  Best present ever!

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 01:01:29 PM »
Hand and foot impressions from your baby. My first fathers day that was my present.

Framed pictures of her and the baby also work. My goal is to make it about my wife and our kids. Having pictures in the babies room to look at while putting away clothes, cleaning, nursing etc. is a nice long term impact.

mudstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 04:04:26 PM »
I am a mom of 3, and I always ask for guilt-free time to shower, and a chance to drink my coffee hot.  I'm pretty low maintenance, but those things can be very hard to come by as a new mom! :D 

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 04:08:10 PM »
Gosh what I wouldn't give for an hour to go get a pedicure. I think I'm gonna ask my husband for that. Mom of a 2.5 year old and a 4 month old. I get a pedicure maybe 2x per year.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 04:38:32 PM »
A card, from my new child, with a hand impression in it and some sappy statement or other.   I think I still have that card...

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 05:47:14 PM »
My favorite gift were handmade stepping stones.  They sell kits for about $15 which come with a mold and usually some decorative Mosaic stones to press in.  You can also get letters shapes to imprint the name and date.  Baby footprints last forever.  Bigger kids do handprints and decorate it themselves.
I've been hinting for years that I want more because I'd love a whole path made of stepping stones to document their growth.  Hubbie hasn't caught the hint yet though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 08:54:47 PM »
Ladies, we must come up with some sort of rhyme for our SOs for these Mother's Day gifts. You know, like the "something borrowed, something blue" for weddings. Maybe something like:

Something sentimental,
Something to eat
Clean up all the damned mess from making me something to eat
Now leave me the fuck alone

Kinda catchy, no?

Penny McSave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 08:07:15 AM »
Ladies, we must come up with some sort of rhyme for our SOs for these Mother's Day gifts. You know, like the "something borrowed, something blue" for weddings. Maybe something like:

Something sentimental,
Something to eat

Kinda catchy, no?

LMAO! That almost made coffee come out of my nose! Good one. ;D

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 08:29:18 AM »

Something sentimental,
Something to eat

Kinda catchy, no?

LMAO! That almost made coffee come out of my nose! Good one. ;D
I don't follow, what are you saying? I have to clean up after making breakfast? Aren't you happiest washing dishes (ducks flying dishes aimed at my head)? Awesome rhyme, I'll put it in the mothers day card. 

Most special occasions are marked with the completion of an extra chore. The odd ones like; clean out the freezer, install new shelving units, carpet cleaning, wash the outside of the windows (insides are easy, everyone hates the outside), clean the car (detailing) etc. Acts of service seem to get me off the hook for shopping for gifts.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 10:01:26 AM »
This will be my first mothers day with a living child. (Baby is 5 weeks.)

I asked for a really great photo of my daughter. Bonus points if he has it printed already.

Last year we did a stepping stone for my son. Eventually I'd like one for my daughter too.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:04:27 AM by iowajes »

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 10:06:41 AM »
I have asked for a nice big breakfast and coffee made in the morning. And if so obliged to live it up, a painting for my wall (DD is an artist).

TOgirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 11:08:52 AM »
Let her sleep. Bring her coffee. Do all the things that day. All the diapers, bathtime, bedtime,everything.

Tangible gift-wise...maybe a card and flowers? A plant for the garden?

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 11:53:24 PM »
Here is a hint -- don't hide her purse when you clean the kitchen.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 12:07:05 AM »
For the next one, an idea I recently heard that I will definitely steal is to spend the next 12 months making a special effort to take some great candid photos of the baby and wife+baby every week (with a few full family shots as well, and trying to be semi-stealth so your intention is not obvious). Using the best ones, make a little booklet of 52 (one/week) photos, to document the year. Bonus points if you write little notes, short journal entries, captured quotes (first words, favorite comments by mommy, etc.), and so forth, to go with some of the photos (or all of them if you're an overachiever).

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 07:01:10 AM »
Fwiw it's my second Mother's Day and I don't like sentimental handprint stuff or similar. It's cute but another piece of clutter.

What will SHE appreciate that's her love language/preferred type of gift?  some people would love a massage and a spa day, some would love a beautiful houseplant and a big breakfast made for them, some would love a weekend getaway or a family trip, some would love the handprints and photo cards, some would love to go out for the morning and come back to a clean house and a nice dinner.

But I think everyone likes breakfast in bed :)