Author Topic: Moral decision...  (Read 5152 times)

Bearblastbeats

Moral decision...
« on: May 13, 2013, 10:29:45 AM »
In NH, Landlors need to keep abandoned property for 28 days. After that time has passed they get to dispose of it at their discretion.

In this case, my sister's ex husband lived in my upstairs apartment, didn't pay rent, sold drugs and overall just caused a lot of hate and discontent between him and other housing occupants.

Now, he was arrested about a month ago and the 28 day min. has passed. He didn't own anything worth much, just clothes really and two flat screen tv's.

Would it be morally wrong for me to pawn the tv's and junk his clothes, or leave the stuff alone. My sister texted me yesterday to ask if I could bring his stuff over to her, which is like an hour an half drive to do a favor for someone who screwed me over for a year.

I would rather pawn the tv's and tell them to kick rocks.

Thoughts?

innkeeper77

• Bristles
Re: Moral decision...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 10:33:12 AM »
It seems like pawning the stuff would be a bad idea, even ignoring morality, because of the family ties. If I were in your shoes I would calculate your gas expense for the drive (both ways) and tell your sister the cost to deliver. You could also offer to sell the TV's on craigslist and send her a cut of the revenue.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 10:36:16 AM »
If this stuff is important to your sister she should be the one to come pick it up. Let her work that out. If she cannot, consider doing it more for her sake than being spiteful and throwing out/selling someone's stuff.

Yes that guy did you wrong but you as the landlord should have handled it quickly and decisively at that time (not to say you didn't, you may very well have actually). That does not give you a blank check to do wrong back. Be a better person than that.

Just my opinion though.

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 10:54:41 AM »
It's not really a moral decision so much as a, "How much longer will I let people take advantage of my decent nature?"

That's not her stuff. It's his, now yours. If she wants to keep it as a favor to her ex, tell her to come get it by X date or you're donating it all to charity. (What you actually do with it is none of her business.)

Theadyn

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 11:04:48 AM »
I vote for giving her x amount of days to find a way to get the stuff, if wanted.  You've already been taken advantage of, you are legally within your right to dispose of items as you see fit to get the place ready for a new paying tenant.

If you conscience bothers you, move the items someplace (garage or attic?) to allow either to get the items later, it's up to you.   Yes, being the better person sucks sometimes, but you get to sleep better at night in return.

foobar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 11:15:32 AM »
It is an ex. Tell the exWife that x amount is owed in rent. Does she want to write you a check and pick up the items or would she rather you sell the items to cover the cost? Also stop renting to family. It isn't worth it....

It seems like pawning the stuff would be a bad idea, even ignoring morality, because of the family ties. If I were in your shoes I would calculate your gas expense for the drive (both ways) and tell your sister the cost to deliver. You could also offer to sell the TV's on craigslist and send her a cut of the revenue.

gdborton

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 11:28:30 AM »
I don't see how this is even a question, sell the stuff if it is within your legal right.  The moral dilemma is for her to accept that she isn't responsible for her ex, and for her ex to pay his debts.  You're free and clear, if they can't accept that, it's their problem not yours.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 11:29:25 AM »
I'm pretty sure if the guy owed you back rent, you can keep his stuff and sell it to recoup your losses. You'd need to check the laws in your area, tho.

Your sister has no legal claim on the property at all if she's an ex. You could - out of the kindness of your heart - let her come get the stuff. And absolutely do not drive it to her; besides the cost of gas, you're going to be out the time it would take to deliver it. Honestly, if it was me, I would tell her no and sell the stuff as soon as it is legally possible to do so.

No need to be rude or anything, just tell her that his lack of payment and other activities are going to directly effect YOUR bottom line (loss of rent, possible difficulties renting an apartment with a drug seller rep) and you need to do what you can to minimize the problems. And make sure to explain that it is completely within your rights legally to do so.

And I agree - don't help out family anymore like that. I've been taken advantage of before by family members, and I'll never put myself in that position again since it is pretty awful to deal with the fall-out when stuff goes wrong. Just because they are family, it doesn't mean you have to bend over backwards to make their screwups easier for them to deal with... especially at cost to you.

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 11:41:28 AM »
I totally agree with getting rid of his things. This isn't even the first instance with these two about screwing up and having it fall back on me to be honest.

His clothes are all junk, the TV's may get $100 each on them. Even labor cost for me cleaning up his crap is worth more than what I could get for pawning it.

I think it was Alice Cooper who said it best. "No more Mr. Nice Guy"

gdborton

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 11:54:21 AM »
I'm going to beat the dead horse here...

"No more Mr. Nice Guy"

Obviously you get the idea, but I do want to point out that the other deciding the other direction isn't being nice, it's being a sucker.  I think a better quote is from Arebelspy

How good your tenants are is directly related to whether or not you treat it as a business.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!