Author Topic: MMM Recipe Thread: Inexpensive Recipes for a Big Appetite  (Read 31784 times)

onehappypanda

• Stubble
MMM Recipe Thread: Inexpensive Recipes for a Big Appetite
« on: July 25, 2012, 12:10:17 PM »
Just started living with the boyfriend and we are working on tackling our grocery bill. I've agreed to eating less fancy-pants organic stuff if he'll agree to eating less meat. The primary issue is, he's fairly active and has a bigass appetite (despite not being a bigass guy). The recipes that last a week for me last maybe two days for him, and the vegetarian meals that I'm perfectly happy with don't always fill him up.

So I need to know what you all cook that's inexpensive but still filling for a former carnivore with an above-average appetite. I know the basic ideas- using less meat and more beans/legumes/nuts, more whole grains (including quinoa and whatnot), stretching meat with veggies/beans/grains, cheaper cuts of meat. The issue is I just don't have any go-to recipes right now that really work- I love cooking but I'm feeling uninspired.

So I thought it'd be fun to start a recipe thread. Include actual recipes if you have them, or the names of recipes that could be googled. This would be hugely helpful when I'm making meal plans for the week, and I hope it could help some of you other folks too. We're pretty open to different types of foods and cuisines, my only request is that they be reasonably healthy and include produce of some sort. What've you all got?

igthebold

• Bristles
Re: MMM Recipe Thread: Inexpensive Recipes for a Big Appetite
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 12:17:49 PM »
Very imprecisely speaking:

Basic Lentils:
- sautee/fry onions and garlic (bacon fat is yummy, but butter or oil are fine)
- add stock (instead of water (this is key to making many recipes better))
- and lentils
- and bay leaf

Simmer for a while until done. You can use these everywhere. Lentils have the third highest amount of protein per mass, next to soybeans (bad-ish for you in excess) and hemp (can you even eat that?).

One of my favorites is lentils and eggs. Makes a great breakfast and easily keeps you satisfied until lunch. Helps if you learn how to cook eggs properly.. most people overcook them.

You can also use lentils as a taco filling. Just add some more Mexican-esque spices, like cumin and chili powder.

Also, huge amounts of Indian food are based on lentils.

Praxis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 12:22:39 PM »
You can get meat from outlets and then freeze it, to get it cheap.  Also, pro-tip: NEVER buy low-fat.  Fat-phobia is insane in the U.S., sugar is way more detrimental from a heart disease perspective than animal fats.

You know the whole "pink slime" thing?  Well, the pink slime is a protein filler.  When you add it to beef you get low fat beef.  Full fat beef is cheaper, healthier, more filling, can be cooked without or with less oil, and never has pink slime.

Also, if you buy bacon, store the fat! It's great for cooking.

Also, eggs.  Eggs are great. :) I'm a huge fan of omelettes or scrambled eggs fluffed with a dab of heavy cream, cooked in bacon fat or butter.  Careful with the grains, grains are fattening, but at least whole are better than refined.  Eggs are VERY filling.

Split pea soup is easy and great too, you can make enormous portions.  Just put peas in a crockpot on low for like 8 hours, covered 5x with water.  Throw in a bunch of spices (oregano and basil, for example) and onions and garlic for flavor before you start it.

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 12:34:47 PM »
Frittatas!  I love them, because they are incredibly flexible.  I don't follow a recipe;  I just make a frittata with whatever produce is on sale for cheap or growing in the backyard.  My favorite is yellow summer squash and zucchini with onions, garlic and oven-roasted tomatoes, but the beauty is you can use anything!  I've also used left over roasted asparagus from dinner before and it was delicious.     

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 12:36:08 PM »
Look for high fat, low meat options. Things like beans are great. I think people over look simply a drizzle of olive oil on everything. Nutrients are fat salable, this will mean he's absorbing more of the good stuff. I also shred meats to add volume while dropping actual weight. Try weighting his portions and figure out exactly how much he really needs to feel full.

Hella good bean soup:
1lb Red Mills 15 beans soup mix soaked over night or at least 6 hours.
**The Safeway brand is actually way cheaper, but i splurge.
**I weight this out and don't use the whole bag because it's too much for my crockpot once they are plump.
1lb trader joes ends and pieces bacon browned and chopped
**ends and pieces has all the hippy modifiers (no nitrates, etc) and costs $1/lb.
2 carrots
2 sticks celery
1/2 onion all fried in the bacon grease before getting tossed in the pot.
**you can buy pre-chopped "Mirepoix" mix from TJ's, too. Since i bought my food processor (used) it takes seconds to chop now.
2-3cups water
**this is just to add enough fluid to the pot to make it easy to stir. We'll be adding more later.
Spices:
1tsp Chicken bullion of choice
2 tsp Cumin
1tsp Celery salt
2 bay leaves

All that sits in the crockpot over night and while at work the next day. When i get home i take everything and pour it into a bigger pot on the stove and add more water.

I also love this recipe for Tom Ka Gai. I use a crockpot for this too. If you'd like my method PM me. I'm happy to share. :)
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Tom-Ka-Gai-Thai-Coconut-Chicken-Soup/
the coconut milk makes this a very fatty soup.
You can keep costs down for Asian ingredients buy shopping at Asian markets. Just check dates carefully.

spider1204

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 12:38:46 PM »
Probably not the healthiest, but when I'm fairly hungry I love to combine french toast and grilled cheese.  Just soak the bread you'd normally use to make a grilled cheese sandwich in eggs first as if you were making french toast.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 12:56:45 PM »
Bum food (as in, I literally got this recipe from volunteering at a soup kitchen).
  • Ham (I use a ham steak, like this, which costs approximately zero dollars for approximately a pound of ham at Costco. Leftover spiral sliced ham works too.)
  • 6-8 potatoes (the cheap, starchy Russets are great for this)
  • Canned (and drained) or frozen corn (1-2 cans or equivalently sized 16oz frozen bags)
  • Canned (and drained) or frozen green beans (approximately the same amount as corn)
  • Salt and pepper.

Cut the ham and potatoes into ~3/4 inch pieces. Put everything in pot. Cook for half an hour or so (the potatoes will mushify and you'll get a stew-like texture). Eat. If you've got other spices laying around, they go in really well. I imagine sliced onion or canned tomatoes would be good in it too.

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 11:28:52 PM »
Recently tested, tasted and approved:

Bacon & Butternut  Squash risotto:

Pan on medium heat
- add chopped up bacon ends (recipe called for 1/4lb, we eyeballed it)
- add chopped onions (1), 2-3 cloves of minced garlic, stir until soft
- add 1/2 cup of dry white whine, let evaporate
- add 1 1/2 cup of arborio rice, toast for 1-2 minutes
- season with salt and pepper
- start slowly adding chicken broth, let evaporate, add more, repeat; 4 cups in total
- add pureed butternut squash (a small box, forgot what the size -- or you can roast and puree your own)
- add 3 tbsp butter, mix in
- season some more (salt, pepper, nutmeg)
- I don't do cheese, but you may add grated parmesan here, 1/2 - 3/4 cups

Nummy. This made 4 moderate size servings.

fiveoh

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 05:39:09 AM »
65 cheap, healthy, one-dish meals with good leftover potential

http://cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com/2009/01/65-cheap-healthy-one-dish-meals-with.html

Note: this is not my blog, I just have tried and liked several things on the list.

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 06:34:58 AM »
For simple cooking, which often correlates with frugal cooking, I love Mark Bittman's work. Here's an article that my family keeps coming back to: Summer Express: 101 Simple Meals Ready in 10 Minutes or Less

Also, his How to Cook Everything is quite good. What's nice about it is that it gives you the basic version of things, plus variations. E.g. basic custard ice cream, then a bunch of different kinds of variations, such as ice cream where you steep spices in it, ice cream where you add fruit, ice cream where you add candy, etc. That's probably a bad example for what you're asking, but it gets the idea across.

MoonPilgrim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 07:23:20 AM »
Meat and cabbage stew:

Brown couple of pounds of cheap stew meat cut into manageable chunks (we like beef best) with an onion.  Throw meat/onion into crock pot with a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, as much shredded cabbage as will fit in the pot (usually half of a cabbage, I make slaw out of the rest), and broth/bouillion to cover.  Cook until meat is tender, the longer the better.

This costs us under ten dollars to make, and usually lasts my boyfriend and I three or four days.

(We low carb, so you could also sub potatoes for some of the meat, if you like that sort of thing.)

onehappypanda

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 07:30:36 AM »
Great ideas guys! Looks like you all like soups/stews a lot ;)

I'll contribute one of my own. I find that this one is pretty cheap if you stick to veggies that are in-season/on-sale and skip the fancy cheese. It fills the boyfriend up pretty well, and has a ton of nutrients from the combo of veggies and quinoa. Balsamic Grilled Veggies and Basil Quinoa: http://www.veggiebelly.com/2010/07/balsamic-grilled-summer-vegetables-with-basil-quinoa-salad.html

for balsamic dressing
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic minced
salt and pepper

for grilled summer vegetables
1 small italian eggplant (about 2 cups when cut into big cubes)
1 small zucchini (about 2 cups when cut into big cubes)
1/2 small red onion (1/4 of a large red onion)
3/4 cup cherry tomatoes -- (panda side note: regular chopped up tomatoes work just as well)
4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped -- (side note: I skipped this because I didn't have it on hand, and it was fine)

for basil quinoa salad
2 cups water
1 cup quinoa
1/4 cup basil leaves loosely packed, chopped

Whisk together all the balsamic dressing ingredients and set aside.

In a medium saucepan, boil water for the quinoa salad. Add quinoa and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer covered, till all the water has been completely absorbed, about 20 minutes.

While quinoa is cooking, cut the eggplant and zucchini into 1 1/2 inch cubes. Cut the red onion into rings. Place cubed eggplant, zucchini, red onion, tomatoes and thyme leaves in a bowl. Pour half the balsamic dressing over the vegetables and toss well.

Brush grill grates with olive oil or non-stick spray (I used a stove top cast iron grill). Heat grill to medium-high. Grill the vegetables about 3 minutes on one side or till grill marks appear, about 3 minutes. Flip them over and grill other side till vegetables are tender but still a bit firm. Tomatoes will cook quicker, remove them from the grill as soon as they start to blister.

Reserve the balsamic dressing that remains in the bowl, to serve with the meal.

If you dont have a grill, broil the vegetables in the top rack of an oven, till one side is golden. Flip and broil other side.

When the quinoa finishes cooking, toss it with the second half of the balsamic dressing. Stir in chopped basil, salt and pepper.

Spread quinoa on a platter or bowl. Arrange the grilled summer vegetables and mozzarella around the quinoa. Serve warm with the reserved balsamic dressing on the side.

The price of this dish is actually pretty flexible- you *could* make it pricey by using tons of fancy add-ins. Or you could keep it basic and stick to the veggies that are in-season and on-sale. This uses summer veggies but you could use almost anything, I've found- it's kinda like stir fry that way. The website suggests adding mozzarella balls, I just toasted up some nuts (almonds, walnuts, pinenuts, whatever was on hand) to toss in because I think they fill the boyfriend up better than cheese does, and the price-per-calorie is less. Bulk quinoa is pretty cheap around here. I grow my own herbs, so that helps keep the cost down.

onehappypanda

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 07:37:56 AM »
Also, I haven't tried this one yet but it looks like the core ingredients (beef, green beans, onion, canned tomatoes) are pretty cheap and the spices are all things I have on hand.  It came highly recommended from a friend but has not been Panda-tested-and-approved yet, though it might be on the menu this week.

Slow cooked Lebanese green beans and beef: http://thelemonbowl.com/2011/10/slow-cooked-lebanese-green-beans-and-beef.html

1 lb beef stew meat – cut in cubes
1 lb green beans – trimmed and cut in 2 in. pieces
1 medium onion – diced
32 oz crushed tomatoes
1 tbs cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
Pinch ground cloves
Pinch ground all spice
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 c parsley – chopped
rice pilaf and plain yogurt to serve (optional)

Place beef, green beans, onion and tomatoes in slow cooker. Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, all spice, salt and pepper. Cook in crock pot on High Heat for 4 hours of Low Heat for 8 hours. Serve over rice pilaf and a dollop of plain yogurt.  Garnish with fresh parsley.

tannybrown

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 08:55:19 AM »
Fried Rice:

-Start some rice on your rice cooker, pressure cooker, or pan (I usually do 1 to 1 & 1/3 cups dry rice)

In a wok on medium heat cook:

-2-3 tbsp of olive oil
-One large onion
-lots of garlic (as onion is becoming transluscent)
-chopped ham (optional)
-add in veggies (I like the frozen peas and corn, and a veggie medley works well too)
-add in your cooked rice
-then push the mixture to one side to make room for eggs you've beaten (I love the eggs so we'll use 4 or 5)
-after the eggs are nearly all cooked, mix together (don't do this too early or the rice just gets a weird coating)
-you can also cook the eggs in a separate pan, then combine...probably easier to do
-season generously with salt and pepper
-keep stirring throughout to keep it from sticking to the wok
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 08:57:06 AM by tannybrown »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 09:00:37 AM »
You can also do the eggs first in the pan that'll have the veggies and rice later on.

NestEggChick (formerly PFgal)

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 09:15:48 AM »
I recently changed my diet to be sort of a combination of the Paleo/SCD diets.  I did this for various health reasons and I am not saying they work for everyone.  Almost immediately, I noticed that I was eating much less, but feeling perfectly full.  I went online and looked around, and I was surprised to see that this is common for these diets.  A lot of the processed foods out there actually increase our appetites.  Even when you don't think you're eating processed foods, look at the ingredients in your bbq sauce, or your salad dressing.  I was really shocked, because I had felt that I ate healthy foods.  Even though I'm eating a lot more meat now, especially organic chicken, not to mention a lot more produce, my grocery bill has gone way down since I'm eating so much less.  So maybe some sort of change like this could help.  Again, I'm not saying this works for everyone, just that it worked for me and that apparently it reduces many people's appetites while still keeping them well-nourished, so it's something to keep in mind.

Praxis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 11:25:11 AM »
I recently changed my diet to be sort of a combination of the Paleo/SCD diets.  I did this for various health reasons and I am not saying they work for everyone.  Almost immediately, I noticed that I was eating much less, but feeling perfectly full.  I went online and looked around, and I was surprised to see that this is common for these diets.  A lot of the processed foods out there actually increase our appetites.  Even when you don't think you're eating processed foods, look at the ingredients in your bbq sauce, or your salad dressing.  I was really shocked, because I had felt that I ate healthy foods.  Even though I'm eating a lot more meat now, especially organic chicken, not to mention a lot more produce, my grocery bill has gone way down since I'm eating so much less.  So maybe some sort of change like this could help.  Again, I'm not saying this works for everyone, just that it worked for me and that apparently it reduces many people's appetites while still keeping them well-nourished, so it's something to keep in mind.

This actually does work for most everyone*.  When your blood sugar spikes, your body tries to lower it by releasing hormones to encourage the body to store as much as possible to get the blood sugar down.

Eating either fats or carbohydrates that break down slowly (so blood sugar doesn't spike) means you are fuller longer because the body isn't actively trying to store what you ate and then telling you that you are hungry again.

Refined carbohydrates like white bread and any sort of liquid sugar (even "no sugar added" fruit juice, which contains a lot of natural sugar that has been disassociated from the nutrients that slowed its absorption) are at the very top of the glycemic index and will spike your blood sugar way up.  So will starches like regular potatoes (as opposed to sweet potatoes which break down way slower).

Grains aren't as bad as the processed stuff, but they're still up there pretty high.

So, if weight loss is an issue, avoiding grains and refined carbohydrates and sugars will actually result in a significant appetite, and eating meat and bacon and cheese and sweet potatoes with your veggies will actually make you eat a lot less.

I eat eggs every day...I'm amazed how few it takes to fill me up.

* Different people have different sensitivities to insulin and react much quicker or slower to the same blood sugar spikes.  A lot of "naturally lean" people simply get full fast because their body is quick to signal being full instead of storing.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 01:48:24 PM by Praxis »

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 11:55:44 AM »
Shepherd's pie is a great way to stretch meat. Sautee chopped onions, add in ground beef, add in peas and carrots (I usually just buy a big bag of frozen), some tomato paste, etc. Put the meat-veggie mix in deep pan in the oven, topped with mashed potatoes, parsnips, and turnips. YUM. Although probably not fun to make in this summer heat.

I eat a lot of less traditional meat cuts, too. Tripe, pigs' ears, chicken livers, etc. They're super cheap, but I would probably eat them even if they weren't because they're so friggin' delicious. Tripes a la mode de Caen is one of my favorite dishes... although also not great for hot weather.  Basically, it's baked tripe with carrots and potatoes.  Traditionally, you add in Calvados, which is an apple brandy, but I never have that around, so I usually just put in some apple cider and whiskey. I think applejack would work too.

I'll echo the other comments here and say that a high-fat diet has worked well for me. Fat is incredibly satiating.

onehappypanda

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 07:07:16 PM »

This actually does work for most everyone*.  When your blood sugar spikes, your body tries to lower it by releasing hormones to encourage the body to store as much as possible to get the blood sugar down.

Eating either fats or carbohydrates that break down slowly (so blood sugar doesn't spike) means you are fuller longer because the body isn't actively trying to store what you ate and then telling you that you are hungry again.

Refined carbohydrates like white bread and any sort of liquid sugar (even "no sugar added" fruit juice, which contains a lot of natural sugar that has been disassociated from the nutrients that slowed its absorption) are at the very top of the glycemic index and will spike your blood sugar way up.  So will starches like regular potatoes (as opposed to sweet potatoes which break down way slower).

Grains aren't as bad as the processed stuff, but they're still up there pretty high.

So, if weight loss is an issue, avoiding grains and refined carbohydrates and sugars will actually result in a significant appetite, and eating meat and bacon and cheese and sweet potatoes with your veggies will actually make you eat a lot less.

I eat eggs every day...I'm amazed how few it takes to fill me up.

* Different people have different sensitivities to insulin and react much quicker or slower to the same blood sugar spikes.  A lot of "naturally lean" people simply get full fast because their body is quick to signal being full instead of storing.

I agree with this for the most part, and absolutely welcome high-fat healthy recipes if you have them. That said, I'd rather this be a fun recipe sharing thread and not open any debates about which diet is best ;) Mostly because I find that diet is so highly individual that those debates are completely pointless.

For the record, we eat a good amount of high-fat foods and I agree that they're satiating. The grains we eat are largely 100% whole grains, and are used as side dishes or to "stretch" a meal. I went primal for awhile and found that cutting grains out did not significantly decrease my appetite, though it did just about double my grocery bill. Then again, I've never struggled with weight and I do well on a low-meat, high-produce diet. Different strokes for different folks.

On that note though, one of the paleo-friendly, budget-friendly things I want to try soon is making a whole chicken and then making homemade broth for soup. I'm assuming this is probably cheaper and healthier than buying chicken by parts and store bought broth. I just haven't sprung for it lately because I hate to turn on the oven when it's blazin' outside.

This was sent to me by a friend re: how to make a whole chicken and broth (copied verbatim). Maybe some of you already do this but it can't hurt to share:

What you need:
Chicken
Salt and pepper
Meat thermometer
square pyrex baking dish (9x9" I think is what i use)
Oven
Paper towels
Veggies for roasting if you want: potatoes, yams, beets
Tupperware-type storage containers for freezing or storing in the fridge

Optional for stock/soup:
dill, parsley
onions, carrots, celery

1. Buy a nice chicken. Organic, cage free, whatever you can get, the best you can get.
2. Preheat oven to 400F
3. Check inside of chicken for baggie full of guts. Discard (unless you have a mother who knows what to do with such things in the kitchen with you).
4. Rinse the chicken with cool tap water inside and out. Dry with paper towels. This will take a zillion paper towels.
5. Wash your hands. Really well. And the surfaces. Salmonella is nasty.
6. Place chicken breast side up in square pyrex baking dish. The drumsticks will point up if you do this. Tuck the wings under if you can.
7. Rub salt and sage, salt and pepper, salt and oregano, whatever, you can even just use salt, it will be fine. Rub on the skin. My mom used to use Italian salad dressing.
8. Bake at 400 for an hour and 20 minutes.
9. Throw in some potatoes or sweet potatoes or beets to roast for the last 20-30 minutes (cube the beets, I only like the golden ones, drizzled with a little olive oil)
10. Chicken is done when meat thermometer reads 170-180 or juices run clear. Yes, you need to get a meat thermometer. Just get one.

Okay, so now you have a roast chicken. Isn't it pretty? If you are a fan of white meat only, like me, remove the white meat and package it in your containers. Add in some veggies. Make your portion sizes generous but reasonable (deck of cards or 3-4 oz if you have a scale).

Remove all the meat from the chicken. Use your hands. You can chop this meat up and make chicken salad (PORTION CONTROL!) by adding some chopped celery and a little mayo. Eat alone or with some good healthy whole grain bread.

Now you have bones left over from the chicken, right? Take a big pot and put the bones in along with the juices from the pan you used to bake it. Throw in the onion (peeled, cut in 1/4's or 1/8's), carrots (about a cup?) and celery (the center part with the leaves). Add water to near the top of the pot, bring to a very slow boil and then let it simmer for at least an hour, maybe two.

Place pot in fridge and let it cool. I will also put the lid on and let it cool at room temp if I don't have room (it's been boiling for 2+ hours, it's fine).

When cool, pour off the stock (look! You have homemade chicken stock! You rock!) into more of the containers. You can freeze this and use it for cooking soups/rice, or you can add in some of the carrots/onions/celery and some chicken meat and have homemade soup (great for sick people!). If you do it right it turns to jelly consistency when refrigerated, which I always think is cool.

There ya have it. Keep the recipes comin' folks :)

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 09:28:19 AM »
I've started making this a LOT, it's super cheap, tastes like something you could get in a diner, and doesn't take a lot of time.  I'll share what I make, you can adjust portions and ratios to suit yourself, but I eat a lot also, so this might be perfect for your boyfriend.

Ingredients: 1-2 TBL oil, 4-6 eggs, 1-2 potatoes (I use Russet, unless something else was on sale), 1/2 onion, Tony Chacheres spice, a bit of salt, and pepper, hot sauce.

I use a wok, but I guess you could use a skillet.  Anyways, start heating up the oil over medium-medium high heat in the wok.  While it's heating, chop up half an onion.  By the time I'm finished chopping, the oil is usually fairly hot, so I add the onion, stirring it around to get it nice and oil-coated.

While the onion is sauteing, grate the potatoes with a cheese grater then add them to the mix, stirring it around. This is when I add the spices.  You don't really have to stir constantly, I like it when the potatoes get a little burned.  Anyways, I usually leave a little chunk of potatoe non-grated, and when you can easily split it in two with your spatula, I add the eggs.

Break the yolks, and stir constantly, plate it once the eggs are settled.  Liberally apply Franks Red Hot sauce, and enjoy.

Total macros for 6 egg, 2 potatoes are about 1050cal,  55g fat, 46g pro, 90g carb.  It reheats well also.

Cook for Good

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Cook for Good
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 03:37:37 PM »
The most Mustachian of all my recipes is Stoup: stew-soup made from scraps you collect in a freezer container. A half onion you didn't need for a recipe, the rest of the tomato paste, and the a handful of beans nobody eat. For your boyfriend, add any meat scraps, including ones brought home from restaurants. Don't let the busboy take back even two bites of steak or barbeque away. Think minestrone when you choose what to add.

When the container is full, thaw it over night, then clean out your fridge. That's when to add potatoes or cheese, too.

Here are more details and a picture of my Stoup container. http://www.cookforgood.com/recipe/stoup.html

Another tip: add peanut butter to bean stews for a creamy, rich flavor that costs less than adding sausage.

R62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 08:05:35 PM »

I'm another advocate of the egg.  A cooked egg on top of a dish can be exponentially satiating and comforting.  All of the following are examples of traditional dishes which can incorporate a cooked egg on top:

- green salads:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Frisee-Salad-with-Lardons-and-Poached-Eggs-100876
   - pasta dishes:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Orrechiette-Carbonara-241878
   - asian rice bowls:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Korean-Rice-Bowl-with-Steak-Asparagus-and-Fried-Egg-358210
   - grits:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Shrimp-Grits-367141

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 08:34:17 PM »
I'm another egg fan. My favourite breakfast is bacon fried rice (ginger, bacon, green onions, salt, a dash of soy) topped with a fried egg or two and some sriracha. Also, for some reason I used to think steel cut oats were wussy, but they're awesome, and very filling (if you make a lot!).
Back to the OP's original question, I find that almost any recipe (especially anything Middle Eastern or Asian) keeps me satisfied longer (or sooner) if I amp up the amount of garlic, onions, herbs or spices that the recipe calls for. It feels more like you're actually eating something, and spices are actually surprisingly nutritious. I also try to keep a couple of big containers of cheap tasty side dishes in the fridge, for when the meal you made just wasn't big enough or somebody neeeds a different taste. Things like carrot or cabbage slaw, bean or grain-based salad, tabbouleh, hummus, etc.
Good place to get lost: Indian cooking websites. I like Mahanandi, although she doesn't post much these days:
http://www.themahanandi.org/

ShanghaiStashing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2012, 01:13:16 AM »
Channa Masala
1 cup dried chick peas, soaked overnight
2 tomatoes
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
Ginger
1 jalapeno
2 tbsp cumin
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp tumeric
2 tsp garma masala
1/4 tsp cayenne
chicken broth
1.5 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
(play with spice mix until it tastes like you want it to)
1.) cook chick peas in chicken broth 2 hours, strain set aside water
2.) dice onion, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, pepper; premix all spices except garam masala in 1/2 cup water
3.) saute onion 5 mins
4.) add garlic, ginger, pepper saute 1 min
5.) add spice mix slowly to mix, saute 5 mins
6.) add tomatos, saute until soft
7.) add chick peas, garma masala, salt, lemon, cook
8.) serve on rice

Other than chick peas whole thing takes 30 mins or less. I make 2-3X this recipe on Sunday and throw it in freezer lock containers for the week. Tastes epic.

I also do chicken korma, Majadara, sweet potato burritos and a few other things to get me through the week.

Cheers

BonzoGal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 02:03:02 PM »
3. Check inside of chicken for baggie full of guts. Discard (unless you have a mother who knows what to do with such things in the kitchen with you).

Here's what to do with the "guts":  take them out of the baggie and cook them.  Either fry them up until they're firm, or bake them in the same pan as the chicken.  Then chop them up really fine, and mix them into your chicken salad.  They add a meaty, slightly game-y taste, and some good vitamins, minerals, etc.  I'd only do this with a pastured, organic chicken, mostly because any toxins the chicken has taken in will end up in the liver.  (Check out recipes for turkey giblet gravy-  same concept.)

It took me a while to get used to eating "guts," but now I figure it's quite Mustachian: no waste, and no complainy-pants pickiness!

onehappypanda

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2012, 12:29:57 PM »
Good replies!

BonzoGal- Any chance there's a use for guts that isn't chicken salad? Both the boyfriend and I hate mayo with a passion and most chicken salad recipes use it :(

ShanghaiStashing- I've been looking for a good Channa Masala recipe, I'm gonna try that out as soon as I get the spices.

A couple more recipes that I've tried-
Spicy spinach and sausage pasta (can also be made with kale): http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2009/06/spicy-spinach-and-sausage-pasta.html
Taco Chicken Bowls: http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2011/07/taco-chicken-bowls-1066-recipe-133.html
Eat the Rainbow Black Bean Soup: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/10/eat-the-rainbow-black-bean-soup.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+FatfreeVeganBlog+%28Fatfree+Vegan+Blog%29

Also, someone mentioned frittata, which I love. Here's my standby frittata:
http://ilovefetacheese.com/?p=6690#idc-container
Also, if you cook a pound of bacon in the oven it will make your apartment smell like bacon for the next 2 days. Which can be good or bad, depending on how much you like the smell of bacon ;)

HeidiO

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2012, 03:02:26 AM »
I like to use chicken carcasses to make soup stock also.  Any time you have chicken bones left over throw them ina ziploc in the freezer.  When you have enough, or if you roast a chicken, place in a couple plastic grocery bags, walk outside to the driveway, and beat with a hammer to break open the bones a little bit.  Throw it in the crockpot with water.  At 24 hours I strain out the bones, cool and freeze the broth in ziplocs.  I just add more water to the bones and cook another 24 hours for more broth.  My fav is when I use the bones from hotwings - love the spices.
The long cooking is supposed to pull out the minerals from the bones. 
Heidi

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2012, 11:09:39 AM »

Bacon and egg pie. You can make a huge one in a big glass roasting dish

Don't whisk the eggs too much, you want a mix of yoke-y bits left, not a smooth mix. Freezes great, and good cold.

You can add a bit of spinach or thin sliced tomato too, and works without being topped with pastry.

http://www.food.com/recipe/famous-new-zealand-bacon-egg-pie-201918

ShanghaiStashing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 05:41:41 AM »
Mujadara, one my faves. Serve with fried or poached egg on top.

2 cups carrots chopped (no more than 1/2" by 1/2" for all veggies)
2 cups potato chopped / cubed
1.5 cups yellow / cooking onion chopped
1.5 cups green or red pepper chopped
1.5 cups peas
2 cups basmati rice (rinsed well)
1.5 cups dried lentils (rinsed well)
6 cloves garlic
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsp cumin
0.5 tsp salt
7 cups chicken stock
1/2 tsp cloves
3 tbsp oil, ideally canola
1.5 tbsp ground black pepper
1 cup raisins

1. Saute onions 5 mins in oil, add garlic saute 1-2 mins, lower heat
2. Add potatos, carrots saute 5 mins, add spices and stir for 1 min / until fragrant
3. Add chicken stock and lentils, cook for ~10-15 mins
4. Add basmati rice, book for 15-25 mins
5. Add peppers, peas and cook for 5-7 mins
6. Fry egg and serve on top

This makes enough for 2 ppl to have 1-2 good size meals per day for a week and packs a significant protein / good carb hit for fairly cheap. Great flavor and can be used as a regular side dish to any meat (we eat it as a main).

ShanghaiStashing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 05:46:14 AM »
Gising Gising filipino food.

This one is slightly more expensive to make, but still remains cheap if served with white rice:

1 lb medium ground beef
1 lb green beans, chopped in 3/4" lengths
500 ml coconut milk (or coconut cream mixed with water in the right ratio)
3-4 little red chili's (the asian kind)
1/2 tsp shrimp paste (optional, I use salt as that shit freaks me out)
1 large onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 tbsp oil

1. Saute onion 5-6 mins in oil, add garlic and peppers, saute 1 min
2. add ground beef, cook until brown
3. add coconut milk and salt -- cook 15-20 mins or until semi soupy
4. add beans, cook until cooked or until there is no more 'soup' left in it

Recipe should be a slightly sticky ground beef without much liquid. Serve over white rice

Makes enough for 5-6 servings and you'll be full. Cost per serving if you get cheap beef and coconut milk is about $1.

Easy recipe with almost no effort that packs a solid flavor punch. Adjust chili's if you don't like spicy.

Norman Johnson

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 05:13:47 PM »
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/refried-beans-without-the-refry/

Great recipe for dried beans if you forgot to soak them overnight and need something for supper. Goes great as a burrito or with tortillas.

I used half the salt as someone recommended in the comments and no jalapeños because of my toddler. I hated eating beans before finding this recipe, and now I'm eating them at least five times a week. I am converted!!!

Taylor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 01:59:24 PM »
Channa Masala
1 cup dried chick peas, soaked overnight
2 tomatoes
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
Ginger
1 jalapeno
2 tbsp cumin
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp tumeric
2 tsp garma masala
1/4 tsp cayenne
chicken broth
1.5 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
(play with spice mix until it tastes like you want it to)
1.) cook chick peas in chicken broth 2 hours, strain set aside water
2.) dice onion, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, pepper; premix all spices except garam masala in 1/2 cup water
3.) saute onion 5 mins
4.) add garlic, ginger, pepper saute 1 min
5.) add spice mix slowly to mix, saute 5 mins
6.) add tomatos, saute until soft
7.) add chick peas, garma masala, salt, lemon, cook
8.) serve on rice

Other than chick peas whole thing takes 30 mins or less. I make 2-3X this recipe on Sunday and throw it in freezer lock containers for the week. Tastes epic.

I also do chicken korma, Majadara, sweet potato burritos and a few other things to get me through the week.

Cheers

I second the Chana Masala! I actually had this for lunch today. At Indian Groceries, you can buy a Chana Masala spice mix, and use that instead of all the different spices listed above. I also add a hefty amount of frozen chopped spinach to it. yum! It gets better as it sits in the fridge, so today I ate from the huge batch I made on Sunday and it's epic!

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2012, 10:40:04 AM »
The bean burritos are awesome!  I just made some with:

pinto beans, I did these in the slow cooker before hand
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 can of diced tomatoes and peppers
1 clove garlic
sprinkles of thyme, cumin, Tony Chatcheris, pepper flakes, and a few dashes of Louisiana hot sauce

I started by sauteing the onion in some oil in the wok.  Then added everything else and mashed it around.  Added to a soft tortilla... damn that's good.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2012, 01:51:18 PM »
with re: chicken salad,  I see a lot of recipes online instead of using mayo, use mashed avocado. I personally use yogurt instead of mayo in chicken salad. plain yogurt.

I think any meal can be supplemented with a cup of soup, bone broth (the kind you make yourself, from bones, not canned stock) and/or salad. a salad can be greens, or just cut raw veg with a dip/dressing. or fruit salad. or pickles. (pickles are pretty easy to make and there are a zillion kinds to make, without canning-just store them in the fridge. make one jar at a time. easy)
http://www.foodinjars.com/recipe-index/
there are two pickle sections on that page with links to recipes. love her blog and cookbook. excellent recipes.

or if grains not an issue, muffins or bread or biscuits can be a good addition. these are also easy to make.

that way, you can have one meal, but he can add on some extra components to fill em up.