Author Topic: MMM--Get Sold, Do you guys ever think this?  (Read 4770 times)

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
MMM--Get Sold, Do you guys ever think this?
« on: March 31, 2013, 10:27:53 PM »
Any of you ever read the blog "Get Rich Slowly" founded by JD Roth? It was a successful PF blog and he sold it. Evidently for a pretty penny.

I might be wrong, but compared to GRS, MMM is way more popular and the content way better.

And his blog is only going to grow exponentially, at least for the time being.

There's gotta be powers that be that would love to own this blog.

Do you ever wonder how this blog will evolve or if MMM will sell it? I'm surprised he hasn't been offered a TV or radio show.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: MMM--Get Sold, Do you guys ever think this?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 10:36:28 PM »
He gave up $4000+/month bc he didn't want to remove badassity from the tag line. So I'd expect the odds are fairly low.

pop pop!

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 01:00:09 PM »
JD Roth sold GRS because he was tired of the blogging business.  Also, unlike MMM, JD Roth wasn't yet financially independent amd selling the blog gave him his FI (from what I understand).  MMM doesn't appear to be in a hurry to sell his blog.  But that doesn't mean MMM won't grow tired of blogging and sell, quit, or hire staff writers - all actions that JD Roth did at various times.  But why worry about it?

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 01:11:34 PM »
Or MMM could go the Jacob / ERE route and just stop posting, or only posting very occasionally.  Clearly a way to wrap a blog without selling(out).

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 01:49:11 PM »
I can't speak for the rest of the world but once a blog that I like loses its voice I tune out.

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 02:02:21 PM »
I can't speak for the rest of the world but once a blog that I like loses its voice I tune out.

+1

GRS and TSD were daily reads for me until their downfall they were sold.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 07:39:09 PM »
I get the impression that part of MMM's motivation for blogging is to spread the good word.  The side income is a nice bonus, but not the only consideration.

With that in mind, selling it wouldn't really scratch the right itch, would it?  If there's an evangelical bent that motivates the author, then cashing out and disappearing just means losing the flock.

Cashing out and staying on as an employee would fix that, but I'm not sure he's keen to be an employee again.  I think that he's like so many other people, willing to work hard on things that are fun and optional, less willing to work hard on things that are mandated by someone telling you what to do.

Now having said that, everyone has a price.  I'd have to be damned in love with a project to turn down a billion dollars, if I thought that money could do more good towards my real goals than my continued personal participation.