Author Topic: Mizzen and Main Shirts worth it?  (Read 12405 times)

tvan

• Stubble
Mizzen and Main Shirts worth it?
« on: June 20, 2015, 07:37:31 PM »
$125 dollars a shirt. But how do they hold up over time?  I find Costco shirts for $12 occasionally and they seem to be holding up. Mizzen provides these advantages though:

A little about the Mizzen+Main dress shirt:

It wicks away moisture and won’t show sweat like a regular dress shirt
Redefining comfort: it breathes better + keeps men cooler
Stay wrinkle free all day long
With standard collars, cuffs and buttons, it looks like a traditional dress shirt
Say goodbye to ironing and dry cleaning
Throw it in the washing machine and hang it up to dry – it’s ready to wear in 16 minutes with no ironing.
Proudly made in the United States and a percentage of every shirt supports wounded veterans and their families

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mizzen and Main Shirts worth it?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 10:30:29 PM »
Did you hear about them from the Ferris podcast?

I too am curious.

I could see myself owning a few henley's and a few dress shirts and that being my entire wardrobe, provided they last forever.

tvan

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 10:34:45 PM »

I too am curious.

I could see myself owning a few henley's and a few dress shirts and that being my entire wardrobe, provided they last forever.

Yes that's where I first heard of them. They look nice and I have an athletic build and often dress shirts are made for fat guys with waists wider than their chests.

$125 is an investment though.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 11:04:24 PM »
Didn't everyone? (That podcast is the best, amirite?)

Someone else shell out the buck-twenty-five and report back. I will say I have a pair of patagonia undies on year 13 and still going strong, so the $20 pay-to-play on those has been rewarded. I'm happy to pay a high upfront if the longevity warrants. But how much of Mizzen & Main is "it's warranted" and how much is just hype? I dunno, but I'd sure like to know.

In the meantime, my man wears those Costco shirts too. Here's his assessment of the M&M claims from the OP, stated in context:
It wicks away moisture and won’t show sweat like a regular dress shirt - "No moisture wicking, but these [Costco shirts] hide wrinkles like a muthaf%&ker and I can slosh coffee all over myself and the stain comes out."
Redefining comfort: it breathes better + keeps men cooler - "Uh...it's not underwear, it's a work shirt"
Stay wrinkle free all day long  - "Yeah, my Costco shirt does that."
With standard collars, cuffs and buttons, it looks like a traditional dress shirt. - "This is a traditional dress shirt. Or at least, it's close enough."
Say goodbye to ironing and dry cleaning  - "I have no idea where our iron is, nor know when I last went to dry cleaner."
Throw it in the washing machine and hang it up to dry – it’s ready to wear in 16 minutes with no ironing. - "That's a lie. I do not believe that marketing claim. This makes me question all their claims."
Proudly made in the United States and a percentage of every shirt supports wounded veterans and their families. - "That's nice, but if you say stuff like "a percentage" it doesn't mean much to me. I assume it's the smallest possible percentage, which I find worse morally than never making the claim in the first place. I guess I'm a cynical f*&ker."

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 11:16:38 PM »
I have some socks that are 27 years old and still being worn every second week. They were not top of the range. And I have a few t-shirts that are also that old. But something that dries in 16 minutes - WOW!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 11:18:15 PM »
Someone else shell out the buck-twenty-five and report back.

Um, how about no?

I've bought cars for less than that.

tvan

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 12:34:40 AM »

Didn't everyone? (That podcast is the best, amirite?)

Someone else shell out the buck-twenty-five and report back. I will say I have a pair of patagonia undies on year 13 and still going strong, so the $20 pay-to-play on those has been rewarded. I'm happy to pay a high upfront if the longevity warrants. But how much of Mizzen & Main is "it's warranted" and how much is just hype? I dunno, but I'd sure like to know.

In the meantime, my man wears those Costco shirts too. Here's his assessment of the M&M claims from the OP, stated in context:
It wicks away moisture and won’t show sweat like a regular dress shirt - "No moisture wicking, but these [Costco shirts] hide wrinkles like a muthaf%&ker and I can slosh coffee all over myself and the stain comes out."
Redefining comfort: it breathes better + keeps men cooler - "Uh...it's not underwear, it's a work shirt"
Stay wrinkle free all day long  - "Yeah, my Costco shirt does that."
With standard collars, cuffs and buttons, it looks like a traditional dress shirt. - "This is a traditional dress shirt. Or at least, it's close enough."
Say goodbye to ironing and dry cleaning  - "I have no idea where our iron is, nor know when I last went to dry cleaner."
Throw it in the washing machine and hang it up to dry – it’s ready to wear in 16 minutes with no ironing. - "That's a lie. I do not believe that marketing claim. This makes me question all their claims."
Proudly made in the United States and a percentage of every shirt supports wounded veterans and their families. - "That's nice, but if you say stuff like "a percentage" it doesn't mean much to me. I assume it's the smallest possible percentage, which I find worse morally than never making the claim in the first place. I guess I'm a cynical f*&ker."

Ha. I tend to agree with him on most of those. Costco shirts are advertised as wrinkle free.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 01:37:56 AM »

I too am curious.

Yes that's where I first heard of them. They look nice and I have an athletic build and often dress shirts are made for fat guys with waists wider than their chests.

$125 is an investment though.

You can take in your regular costco shirts to a tailor and get them professionally fitted to look like they were fancy-schmancy expensive shirts.  Custom tailoring shouldn't be hella expensive unless they're having to reset collars or sleeves; basic tapering to fit an athletic build should be less than $10 a shirt, and might get a discount if you get several shirts done at once (wouldn't hurt to ask anyway). Which is waaaaay cheaper than the M*M shirts y'all are discussing.