Author Topic: Mixed traditional and Roth 401k accounts  (Read 1574 times)

jjcamembert

• Stubble
Mixed traditional and Roth 401k accounts
« on: August 10, 2016, 02:48:54 PM »
I have an old (no longer contributing) 401k through Fidelity but at some point during my contributions I was able to contribute Roth 401k money into the account as well. So now this account has both traditional pre-tax 401k AND post-tax Roth 401k money in it. I can see the allocation (e.g. $80k is Roth money, $20k is pre-tax) but in the investments themselves there is no distinction.

Is this something I should worry about or change? Will I have any issues when I eventually start withdrawing from this account? I think I'd feel "safer" having 2 separate accounts.

Thanks!

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mixed traditional and Roth 401k accounts
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 08:01:41 AM »
I don't know whether you can chose which you are withdrawing from or if the withdrawals are treated pro-rata.  I also don't know what your investment options are through the 401k but I would suggest rolling the account over to a Traditional IRA and Roth IRA.  This will most likely give you more investment options as well as eliminate the 401k fees (if your 401k charges you one).  Plus then you have the flexibility of choosing which account you want to withdraw from once you start taking distributions.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mixed traditional and Roth 401k accounts
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 08:11:47 AM »
I had this, and rolled the respective portions of the plan into two IRAs, one Roth and one Traditional.  Feels so much better knowing they are in distinct accounts.