Author Topic: Mint vs Wave  (Read 7159 times)

mprat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mint vs Wave
« on: November 17, 2015, 01:55:15 PM »
Hey all -

I am just starting on a road to savings, independence, and not needing to work the rest of my life. As a step in the right direction, I want to make sure I am monitoring my net worth every month to make sure I am making the right changes / that the changes I am making make sense. I was looking at Mint, but then came across Wave - does anyone have opinions about which one suits their needs better? Or which company is less sleazy? Or which is less likely to steal all your information? Opinions appreciated and welcome!

Michele

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mint vs Wave
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 02:04:33 PM »
never heard of wave. Mint is owned by Intuit, who are very reputable. I can't say I have ever heard of any 'hacking' stories dealing with Mint yet (knock on wood). I use Mint and it's great...quick way to get a snap shot of your financial life with the ability to dive into the details if you so wish. Setting it up can be a pain in the ass sometimes as you'll need your security question answers from the financial instituions you are using, i believe. Also, not every financial institution is on Mint. But i have PNC, Chase, Vanguard, and Mercer on Mint. Only thing i couldnt add was a small account at my local credit union, which was not a big deal. Mint is also smart enough to ask you you if a certain asset is tied to a certain liability (i.e. "is this mortgage tied to this house?") It's free..so may as well give it a shot.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 02:08:41 PM »
Ummm... well for one thing they're not stealing information from you, as a consumer you are willingly inputting information. If you feel otherwise then use a spreadsheet at home.

That aside you need to define your "needs" when you're looking for what suits you.

And even that aside I've never heard of Wave, quick glances show that it is centered around small business but still reaches out to personal finance. Mint is solely centered around personal finance. I have to admit that knowing more about Mint may color my view a bit, but they're owned by Intuit and have been in the scene for a very long time. I've had very few issues with them and am a happy user.

But then again I use it less and less these days.

I'd say flip a coin if you want, one is probably as good as the other. But seriously if the sale of your information is a key thing you've picked out then don't do either. Keep it offline.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 02:22:01 PM »
Mint is run by the same people who run TurboTax. When I figured that one out, I felt better.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 02:25:07 PM »
OP, just to clear things up, is this the Wave you're talking about?

https://www.waveapps.com/personal/

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 02:47:30 PM »
Well, I use Mint and have for literally years, and never had any problems with security or anything. It supports a lot of accounts, too (I currently only have one unsupported account). You can sign up for both and see which you like better.

Neither of these seem at all likely to "steal all your information"--if you think that's how they work, I suggest you do more research. Mint just puts all of your transactions in one place, but you can't move any money within the site itself, which adds a nice layer of security.