Author Topic: MINT SIM - Opinion?  (Read 4675 times)

spaniard999

• Stubble
    • Longing for Travel
MINT SIM - Opinion?
« on: March 19, 2018, 11:42:37 AM »
So I just saw Mint has a new phone plan.
Pretty cheap actually, $15 - $20 a month. Unlimited text and talk and 2GB-10GB data.
You actually buy in bulk, so you prepay 3, 6 or 12 months. But it might end up being way cheaper

https://www.mintsim.com

Anyone tried it?

spaniard999

• Stubble
    • Longing for Travel
Re: MINT SIM - Opinion?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 11:47:36 AM »
It seems to run on T-Mobiles network.

I pay right now $35 with T-Mobile for 100 min/month, unlimited text and 5GB of 4G LTE data.

vertkurt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 11:52:08 AM »
Been using mintsim the last 5 months. I prepaid for the year at $180. No problems so far with coverage or anything. I bought a used iphone SE to use with mint sim and it has worked flawlessly. Once the year is up I will most likely pay for another year.

spaniard999

• Stubble
    • Longing for Travel
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 11:55:50 AM »
It sounds pretty good. I keep reading and liking what I read.
So if you run out of the 4G LTE data, you still have unlimited internet, just at a slower speed.

I have a question tho. is that $180 the final price or you have to pay taxes and fees on top of it?

vertkurt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 12:00:34 PM »
$180 was the final price. I haven't personally run out of data yet as I use my cell phone very simply...ie talk and text with some email functions. I don't watch TV or have social media accounts so your media usage will vary. Some think the 2gb is not enough, but I always have plenty at the end of the month.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 01:25:09 PM »
Been using mintsim the last 5 months. I prepaid for the year at $180. No problems so far with coverage or anything. I bought a used iphone SE to use with mint sim and it has worked flawlessly. Once the year is up I will most likely pay for another year.

Do group messages where one of the phones is not an iphone work for you with mint sim?  I was previously using Airvoice wireless, but had MMS issues.  I moved to US Mobile and I'm happy with them and MMS works, but I like to be aware of other options.

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 04:22:37 PM »
I've used Mintsim for more than a year. It's been great.

Sorry, while I have an iPhone, I don't use the default messaging app much.  Use Wire or Signal and it always works :).

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 04:56:33 PM »

Do group messages where one of the phones is not an iphone work for you with mint sim?  I was previously using Airvoice wireless, but had MMS issues.  I moved to US Mobile and I'm happy with them and MMS works, but I like to be aware of other options.

I second this question as I'm newly at Puretalk and though they advertise MMS as a feature.  It's not working for me.  I have an unlocked T-Mobile Samsung S3.

extremedefense

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 11:29:48 AM »

I second this question as I'm newly at Puretalk and though they advertise MMS as a feature.  It's not working for me.  I have an unlocked T-Mobile Samsung S3.
I had to update my APN settings on Textra and it works no issues. It's a t-mobile mvno and it works just like when I was on t-mobile

palebluedot

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 11:35:26 AM »
I paid $45 for the 6 month plan (2GB) promo during the holidays. I'll be sticking with the annual 2GB $180 plan come July when I renew. I was using Tmobile's $30/month with 5GB but only 100 minutes of voice. This works better for me since I don't use much data and having unlimited talk is useful.

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 12:53:34 PM »
Check T-Mobile coverage map
If you have coverage, you landed in good place.

Mintsim often go on sale, the best was 6 months for $45.

If you sign mintsim through Swagbucks cashback site, you would get $2.5 which you can get in amazon gc.

If you are planning to use the same number for a long time, then buy full year plan otherwise try it. Thats LTE speed and Tmobile is great if you are within city limits.

Check Sprint Coverage
Sprint provides 1 year free coverage. Check that too. I moved many of my friends to Sprint, we pay $3/mo per line for unlimited everything. But if you dont have good coverage, dont do Sprint.
 Sprint signup referral-you would get $50
After signup, go to https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/offers/free-unlimited.html?phone=byod, check the phone for cdma compatiblity, if you got the phone, just get the sim and you are good for one year plan.

I added referral links, so if you decided to signup you would get perks. I may get too, but not sure.

My journey
TMobile->StraightTalk->RingPlus->MintSim->Cricket->Sprint
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 01:00:13 PM by Trying2bFrugal »

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 01:08:28 PM »
Good. Cheap. Worky. Like.

fr3nch13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 10:47:08 AM »
I just signed up over the weekend.  I switched from post-paid AT&T and coverage is actually better so far (Central NY).  You can get a 7 day/100MB/60 minute trial for $5 on Amazon. They will send you 2 SIM cards.  One to try the service using a temporary phone number so you can try it before your plan and use the 2nd SIM.  You get your $5 if you end up getting a plan

Porting 2 lines over was painless and took about a minute after I signed up.

There is also some good info on http://reddit.com/r/mintsim

spaniard999

• Stubble
    • Longing for Travel
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 02:57:56 PM »
I decided to go for it.
I normally don't talk the 100 min but they rollover and lately I'm getting close to the limit.
I average 2GB of data on the phone too, so the $15/mo plan fits me well.

I was paying $35/mo with T-mobile and now it will be $15/mo.

$420/year vs $190(with Sim and shipping and fees/taxes)
Saving $230/year is nice.

Thanks for everyones input!

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 06:53:13 PM »
Check T-Mobile coverage map
If you have coverage, you landed in good place.

Always advise finding someone with the service to try it at common locations first. Someone in our office switched to Tmobile. Map says it works 4 LTE with "Fair" coverage. Turns out Fair means dropped calls, texts not received and having to buy a booster to use the phone not by the window.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!