Author Topic: Mint settings  (Read 2150 times)

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
Mint settings
« on: April 28, 2017, 04:46:05 AM »
so I've been using Mint for a number of years and one thing is still annoying me.  I keep spearate savings accounts for certain expenses for example "Car Repairs".  When I need a major car repair I transfer $500 from "Car Repairs" to "Checking" and then use my debit card to pay for the repair.  The result is that Mint often double counts this expense - once for $500 out of "Car Repair" savings and once for $500 out of checking for debt to "xyz Auto shop".  Can I get it to stop this? LIke never count money coming out of savings and just the checking purchases? I do like being able ot see the balance and transactions in my savings accounts I just don't need them included in the budget.

in a spearate issue I'm over budget and wondering if I should just switch to YNAB except I have all this years of data in Mint.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mint settings
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 04:54:42 AM »
Are you categorizing the transfers as transfers?

Frizhand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 10:28:06 AM »
you can also categorize it as 'hide from budgets and trends'

sirdoug007

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 11:04:08 AM »
Just change the transfer out of your car repair fund as a transfer and it will count correctly.  You can also select "always categorize as a transfer" from the drop down menu.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 04:28:28 AM »
Thanks I'll try flagging them as transfers. for some reason they all default to credit card payments - I think because my online saving is Capitol One.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 04:56:05 AM »
We do the exact same thing in Mint and check the "hide from budgets" box.