Author Topic: Mint Mobile coverage in Boulder... Good enough?  (Read 1827 times)

Aardvark

• Stubble
Mint Mobile coverage in Boulder... Good enough?
« on: January 15, 2021, 03:53:32 PM »
Can anybody vouch for/against the coverage on Mint in Chautauqua park?
I recently moved to Boulder. We are living in Chautauqua park for the next few months.
I have an old iPhone that I am happy with, but I need a phone plan. Mint Mobile seems to provide the low cost data that I am interested in, but their coverage map makes me think that living in Chautauqua will be a problem. Any insights would be much appreciated.

EDIT:
T-mobile's coverage map says: "Excellent Signal Strength" for my location. Mint (which runs off of T-Mobile) says I would have very poor signal strength here.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 04:35:52 PM by Aardvark »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: Mint Mobile coverage in Boulder... Good enough?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 10:40:42 AM »
How old is your iPhone? We talking pre-6s, or a Sprint/Verizon CDMA model? If so, there could be considerable reception issues even beyond just poor T-Mo regional coverage given they've pretty much shut down nearly all of their 2G/3G voice network for band 12 4G VoLTE service. The other thing to remember is that MVNOs like Mint only use network-native towers, so T-Mobile postpaid will have far better coverage because of roaming agreements that you won't have access to otherwise.

CellMapper.net also shows hit and miss coverage for band 12 in that part of Boulder.

All this said, I won't be surprised if you possibly still see at least one other person on these forums try and sell you on Mint anyway because of "WiFi calling" fallback or whatnot, and they'll be sure to include their trashy little $25+ referral code link while talking about how great the service is while hand-waiving away their actual problems and terms of service. Always ask yourself if somebody is recommending something to you because it's actually the best choice for you, or if they're recommending it to you because of what they get out of it.

The easier option with coverage questions is to just recommend using either an AT&T or Verizon MVNO when just going at it blindly, and the choice between AT&T and Verizon depends on whether your iPhone is the GSM (go AT&T) or CDMA (go Verizon) model.

As for which MVNO? RedPocket offers monthly plans starting at $10/month for 1000 minutes, unlimited texts and 1GB of data on all four networks, and all their monthly priced "unlimited" talk and text plans with xGB of unthrottled data are still cheaper than Mint's prices in their three and six month blocks, and though Mint appears cheaper than RedPocket for introductory and annual plan pricing, RedPocket still offers their same plans at a discounted annual price just as cheap as Mint through their Ebay store. Given everyone wants a one-size recommendation and they don't like to research these days, I just suggest RedPocket now as their prices are competitive, their support reasonably competent, they offer plans on all the major networks, MMS works for iPhone even on the AT&T network with them, and they don't try to flummox people through the grotesquely meaningless overuse and abuse of the word "unlimited". Just be sure to read the terms of service with any provider you choose, including them. At least RedPocket gives you the ability to opt-out of CPNI data collection, which is more than I can say for some other MVNOs.

My wife and I have used them ourselves for the past couple years on the AT&T network without any issue, and although they technically offer a referral program, you will see no such link from me. I won't even sign up for it. Take it all for what it's worth.

Best of luck, and enjoy your time in Colorado.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 10:44:09 AM by Daley »

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 05:43:41 AM »
Wow, Daley’s response was kind of aggressive.

Mint Mobile has been an excellent carrier for me, but I live in a suburban area near a major city. Most people with experience with Mint Mobile have been quite pleased with the service and it provides enough data to satisfy people who may actually need to use the data plan instead of just WiFi calling all the time.

People share the referral links because they like the service and like also getting a discount on their next year’s plan. There is nothing wrong with that. That’s what referrals are supposed to do. Share things that you like that you think other people would like too. People wouldn’t share the referral link if they weren’t happy with their service and planning to renew for another year.

Anyway, let’s get back to the original question. Anyone have experience with Mint Mobile’s coverage in Boulder? Maybe someone who lives in Colorado?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 07:58:46 AM »
People share the referral links because they like the service and like also getting a discount on their next year’s plan. There is nothing wrong with that. That’s what referrals are supposed to do. Share things that you like that you think other people would like too. People wouldn’t share the referral link if they weren’t happy with their service and planning to renew for another year.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/forum-information-faqs/forum-rules/
"You may only share a referral code for each particular product or company once, on the entire forum. Promoting the same code over and over is considered spamming."

Anyway, let’s get back to the original question. Anyone have experience with Mint Mobile’s coverage in Boulder? Maybe someone who lives in Colorado?

Yes, because multiple, independent, third party cell coverage reception maps that are literally so fine tuned that you can see tower locations and coverage on a band by band basis who all show dead and weak spots around Chautauqua Park for T-Mobile owned towers and T-Mobile's own MVNO coverage map confirming likewise cited by the OP isn't good enough.

For those interested, here's a bit of a rant from WhiteTrashCash on the subject of MVNOs for anyone paying attention, including his own true feelings on Mint Mobile specifically:

If the MVNO can’t compete, then that’s really their problem. This is simply the way the world works. Everyone needs to look out for themselves. The corporations are all looking to screw the consumers, so if you can screw them back, then I think it’s the thing to do. Not a single one of these companies give a whit about the customers, unless if involves squeezing more revenue out of them, so I think it’s completely justified to use one’s brains and look for workarounds that benefit you. If the MVNO closes, then, oh, well. Move on to the next one. There are plenty out there and tech is getting cheaper all the time.

I again gave proof that Mint can't compete on the price end or with network coverage or even properly meet a posters needs, and I did so based on the OPs actual needs, and then suggested a provider that isn't paying me to hype them. By your own standards quoted above, WhiteTrashCash, why should anyone even listen to your cell phone advice?

Someone wanted genuine help, not an excuse for someone here in the community to line their own pockets off of their dilemma.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 08:09:19 AM »
You feeling okay, @Daley?

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 08:38:53 AM »
I had a ton of problems with Mint Mobile in the mountains of CO. Rarely had service, and if I went out of range my phone would never realize it went back into range. If you ever plan to leave Boulder and go exploring expect to have no service, or very limited service. Download all maps offline.

I'd pay the extra $5-$10 for cricket service.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 08:40:09 AM »

I'm fine. This is just Republic Wireless all over again. Selfish forum members manipulated by cargo cult advertising who would rather spam and shoehorn personal referral links as a substitute for help, while denying the documented reality of a company's terms of service, coverage maps, and support quality than help address actual needs are a long established pet peeve of mine.

People deserve to be treated better than a referral link opportunity, and service should be good enough to recommend to a stranger without angling for a ridiculous referral kickback.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:42:39 AM by Daley »

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 08:41:59 AM »

I worry about Daley's well-being.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 08:54:05 AM »
@Daley but no one has done anything of the sort in this thread, and the come-apart persists anyway.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 10:37:58 AM »
I can't speak to Boulder, but don't trust the Mint maps.  I had Mint in Metro Detroit and was pleased.  I went to stay with my grandmother in rural KY.  I checked the coverage map and it should good coverage all along the road she lived on.  I had to drive 6 miles along that road and 4 miles north before I even got a signal. 

This was in September 2020.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!