Author Topic: Mint.com: Separating Mint into Personal vs. Business  (Read 10978 times)

ondrace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mint.com: Separating Mint into Personal vs. Business
« on: May 14, 2016, 05:25:57 PM »
Hello! I'm new here.

I have separate biz and personal accounts for banks/cards/etc. but in Mint am having real trouble trying to see my expenditures by month without all the biz & personal being muddled.

I've searched in this forum but whenever I search for Mint or Mint.com, an error occurs which makes me wonder if something is off or if there are simply no topics on this forum addressing Mint (seems odd and unlikely).

Any input/direction would be welcome! I am eager to discover the true horrors of my spending.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mint.com: Separating Mint into Personal vs. Business
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 09:10:46 PM »
If you have separate business accounts can't you just not link them? I classify my business expenses as business services and when I get my expense check it balances out with the expenses so it's quite easy to see what is personal and what is business.

garth

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 10:26:58 PM »
I categorize everything related to the business as income. So revenues, expenses, and taxes all fall under that category. It's a little coarse, but it's working fine so far.

ondrace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 07:32:27 PM »
Turned out the easiest way for me was to delete my accounts and start over. Now it's all good.

Now comes the hard part - dealing with how much of a spendypants I've been the past 3 months (visible in Mint) and X number of months (not visible in Mint, but known to me).

Thanks!

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 12:34:17 PM »
I think Mint just includes whatever accounts you give to it; the best way to handle it is to just restrict what accounts you feed it, and keep your personal spending to your personal accounts only (which is good business/tax planning anyway).

Rufus.T.Firefly

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 12:43:26 PM »
I personally just manually re-categorize my work expenses. Once a month I go to the transactions page and organize things correctly. But I only have <10 expenses per month so it's pretty minimal work. If I truly had a large flow of expenses, I would have a separate bank account and a separate Mint account to manage it properly.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!