Author Topic: Minneapolis recommendations  (Read 3938 times)

aneel

• Stubble
Minneapolis recommendations
« on: May 31, 2017, 08:39:19 AM »
I am starting a new job next week and will be attending a training/get to know the team event for 2 weeks in Minneapolis (not home). I rented a car for the full weekend I will be in town. What mustachian activities would you recommend for a first time visit?

olliecjb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Minneapolis recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 08:41:42 AM »
We love to walk around Lake Calhoun, Harriet and Lake of the Isles. Great way to spend a couple of hours outdoors! If you do like beer, check out Lyndale Tap House between 4 and 7pm. Buy one get one free on beer every day between those hours!

aneel

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 09:01:09 AM »
Those 2 activities are in my top 5 favorites! Will definitely check out the places you mentioned.

omachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 09:42:24 AM »
Walker Art Center is cool and has free first Saturday admission. Looks like to celebrate the reopening of the sculpture garden on the 10th they're doing free evening admission the 1st through the 10th. If you like art, the Minneapolis Institute of Art is also free and great (I think ~$5 donation encouraged).

To echo olliecjb, walking or biking around the lakes is awesome. Plenty of great places to get a beer. Get to NE Minneapolis and hit up any of Indeed, Bauhaus, 612 Brew, Sociable Cider, Able Seed House, Northgate, or Insight. All reasonably close to each other. I think they all have bike racks, too. I've walked between the first four in one lovely day. Or go down to Surly and take the tour.

There's a nice walk on the outskirts of downtown Minneapolis including West River Road, the Stone Arch Bridge, Main St. and Water Power Park, and the Hennepin Ave Bridge over Nicollet Island. Makes a little loop across the river and takes you through historic Saint Anthony Main. Then stop off at Gold Medal Park which is nearby for a bit. If it's warm, walk down to Izzy's Ice Cream, which is a bit spendy but it's good and you get the bonus Izzy Scoop. Behold the new stadium (ick), the Guthrie Theater and it's funky cantilever protrusion, and get a good view of the riverfront. Mill City Museum is pretty cool and is also right in the area ($12 admission). Get to walk through an exploded flour mill and get an excellent view. This area pretty well embodies how I think the city feels.

Closer to St. Paul, but the Como Park Conservatory is a great place. Free ($3 suggested donation) and you get to walk through a bunch of climate controlled areas where some fairly exotic plants are growing. I enjoy it more in the winter, because it's warm and humid, but worth the trip any time. I'm pretty sure their Japanese garden is open now but isn't in winter. Como Park and Lake Como are right there and are really nice areas, too.

MNBen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 11:35:37 AM »
You've been given great advice so far...

Take advantage of the many beautiful city lakes, beaches, and bike trails.  This is some of the most beautiful time of the year in Minnesota!

Como Park Zoo and Conservatory are worth the visit and free entry.  I believe 40+ breweries through out the metro area, so many options there too.

A fun social event is St. Paul Saints (amateur baseball) and they have $5 (gameday only) and $6 (advance) cheapest tickets, and it's worth the entertainment.  This is downtown St. Paul (accessible by light rail).  It appears they are away until June 12th, however.   You can also possibly find cheap last-minute Minnesota Twins tickets if a professional fan.

If weather isn't cooperating, some indoor options are Mall of America and Midtown Global Market (40 businesses/restaurants from many countries).  They are both free to visit, but only as mustachian as you make them.

Also, while you're in town if you happen to find yourself without a car, you have other resources too:

You can get a bike rental:  https://www.niceridemn.org/
If I read the info correctly, for $6 you get a 24-hour pass which allows unlimited 30-minute rides. 
Minneapolis is one of the best bicycling cities in America.

Also, every bus on the bus system has a bike rack, and you can buy 24 hour bus passes as well (which also include the light rail system).  (Or can also ride for 2.5 hours on one paid fare.)  https://www.metrotransit.org/tickets-tokens

Tell us anything else you like and we can give some other ideas. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 11:11:33 AM by MNBen »

aneel

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 06:41:23 AM »
Omachi and MNBen, thank you so much. I take the itinerary and transport suggestions to heart!

Christiana

• Stubble
    • Zatera Ul
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 01:36:24 PM »
It's a bit of a drive from Minneapolis out to Chanhassen, but if you are into gardening/landscaping/plants and have a few hours free, the University of Minnesota Landscape Arboretum is worth seeing.  Admission is about $10.

omachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 01:51:04 PM »
It's a bit of a drive from Minneapolis out to Chanhassen, but if you are into gardening/landscaping/plants and have a few hours free, the University of Minnesota Landscape Arboretum is worth seeing.  Admission is about $10.

I love the arboretum, but it's $15 admission and a half hour out of Minneapolis. The membership isn't a bad deal if you're going to go regularly as it is also tax deductible. There's a free day each month, but it's the third Monday which isn't too helpful. Was thinking of getting out there soon myself since the azaleas are blooming.

Lots of other green spaces and gardens just outside the cities that are worth a peek at some point. Didn't mention the Normandale Japanese Garden, which is free and awesome and I don't think even asks for donations on site. Also about 20 minutes out of the city, so might not be worth trying to cram into a busy weekend, but it's a very relaxing place.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 02:34:21 PM »
If you're into classical music, the Minnesota Orchestra is excellent and has a few concerts in June. If you're under 40, they have a good deal on tickets ($20): http://www.minnesotaorchestra.org/buy/tickets/special-offers/20-under-40 If you go, either before or after for a beer or snack/meal, check out Brit's Pub: http://britspub.com/ It's kitschy and fun and they have great fish & chips. Plus lawn bowling!

I'd recommend the Minneapolis Institute of Arts (art from all over the world, all eras) over the Walker Art Center (modern art), but that's my preference. It's also FREE and the Walker isn't: https://new.artsmia.org/

Not sure if anyone else recommended it, but Lake Nokomis is another popular spot for outdoor activities/walks.

aneel

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 07:01:29 AM »
If you're into classical music, the Minnesota Orchestra is excellent and has a few concerts in June. If you're under 40, they have a good deal on tickets ($20): http://www.minnesotaorchestra.org/buy/tickets/special-offers/20-under-40 If you go, either before or after for a beer or snack/meal, check out Brit's Pub: http://britspub.com/ It's kitschy and fun and they have great fish & chips. Plus lawn bowling!

I'd recommend the Minneapolis Institute of Arts (art from all over the world, all eras) over the Walker Art Center (modern art), but that's my preference. It's also FREE and the Walker isn't: https://new.artsmia.org/

Not sure if anyone else recommended it, but Lake Nokomis is another popular spot for outdoor activities/walks.

Thanks for lake recommendation and the heads up on the museums, I hope I can do half the things mentioned in this thread!

Macintosh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 11:20:25 AM »
I miss Minneapolis. I recommend the Birchwood Cafe- my favorite place to eat! Also love the Institute of Arts.

joestash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 05:45:42 PM »
My favorite spot is Minnehaha Falls.  They also have a seafood restaurant (Sea Salt) there where you can get 2 delicious fish tacos for $5.

Also, if you like gardens check out Lyndale Park Rose Garden.  It's free and in the city.

Little Nell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 12:08:34 AM »
Swedish Institute.

aneel

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 05:59:57 PM »
Reporting that today I ran at lake Harriet/Calhoun and walked along the river downtown​ + Izzy's. You guys are the best! Currently at surlys and hoping to hit more breweries tomorrow

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!