Author Topic: Minimalist Weights  (Read 4295 times)

freebeer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Minimalist Weights
« on: January 30, 2015, 09:22:27 AM »
What's the *minimum* home equipment to be an effective supplement to hiking/biking/calisthenics for overall fitness? Is a bench and bar really needed or would a few dumbbells and a kettlebell, and the home version of TRX, be enough? (for an early 50's guy not aspiring to be ripped, just reasonably fit).

I'm presently a gym member so spoilt for choice on equipment. Not super into weight training, but most of my cardio is already out on the trail so majority what I use the gym for is in the weight room (I even - blush - have been using a personal trainer in recent years). As I get deeper into frugality (*), eliminating the gym membership is an obvious candidate (nixing the personal trainer is a no-brainer). But I am space-limited at the moment, will be moving later this year, and in general am looking to minimize accumulation of "stuff", so I hesitate to kit out a full "home gym".

* more for philosophical than needful reasons... I'm basically financially independent but lucky enough to have a flexible job that I enjoy so am still employed & accumulating.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Minimalist Weights
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 09:30:48 AM »
If I were trying to keep the footprint as small as possible  I would go with 2, 3 or 5 kettlebells.

If 2 total: 1 that is heavy enough to strict press overhead 5-10 times and 1 big one that you can push press or push jerk 1-3 times

If 3 total: 2 light enough to strict press overhead 5-10 times and 1 big one that you can push press or push jerk 1-3 times

If 5 total: 2 light enough to strict press overhead 5-10 times, 2 that you can push press or push jerk 1-3 times, and 1 big ass one for swings.

For me I would have 2 44lb, 2 53lb, and 1 70lb.

Minimal footprint and endless possibilities.

MetalCap

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 09:33:04 AM »
I prefer dumbells, especially ones that can be increased in weight.  You only need two and with those you can do almost any exercise.  A cheap inflated ball to lay on or sit on help.  That should take care of all presses, curls, extensions, squats, lunges, etc.  When you have that under control, look to add one or two others but you shouldn't need much more than that.

jaye_p

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 09:39:29 AM »
"Bare minimum exercise equipment" really depends on what you want to do.  For example, if you're going to follow a program like "Starting Strength", you're going to need an Olympic barbell and some plates (which you can find used and cheap on Craigslist), as well as a bench and a rack (buy used or diy).  Dumbbells take up less space (especially the modular/adjustable kind that come with removable plates) and are just as useful unless you're planning on competing as a power lifter or in the Crossfit games.  Kettlebells are great, and imho more versatile than dumbbells; the only caveat that this is not a modular system - as you get stronger, you might need to buy heavier kettlebells (unless you make your own from dumbbell plates and some metal pipe, as some thrifty diy crossfitters have done).   But they don't take up a lot of space.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 01:35:18 PM »
I built the wooden plyo/cross fit type box that MMM had plans for early in the blog. Search "nice legs and carpentry skills" something like that.  I made it out of finish/cabinet grade plywood; stenciled "longwaytogo's crossfit" on the side and lacquered the shit out of it.

Now It gets stored in my living room and doubles as my end table for coffee/remote and I store my dumbbells under it. Side benefit is its staring you in the face every day if it's been sitting idle to long.

I do weighted step ups onto it mostly but occasionally do the "box jumps" it was intended for. I also kneel on it for one armed dumbbell rows and lay my back on it to do dumbbell flyes.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 07:46:14 PM »
I recommend a balance ball vs. a bench. You'll work your core and you can use it for other exercises. It also lets you youse your own body as the weight (e.g. Push ups - increase difficulty by Benoit stabilizing next to wall, moving the your position on the ball).

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 09:05:03 PM »
I use isometric exercises to stay in pretty good shape. The equipment required is minimal. (Technically you don't even need any.) I use a Steel Bow and Iso Bow as shown on this website (although I ordered mine from Amazon): http://bowproducts.com/

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 09:09:30 PM »
I use dumbells.  I have three different weights all purchased at garage sales for very little money. You can do a lot of different exercises with them.  I am wanting to start Yoga, I have a DVD but haven't started that yet.