Author Topic: Mini-retirement or not?  (Read 1843 times)

stupendous_stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mini-retirement or not?
« on: January 18, 2018, 02:10:59 PM »
MMM veterans -
I have been working for past 13 years (my age is 36) and was let go from my job last month with a good severance. I have been following MMM, mad fientist etc but haven't really committed to FIRE yet. I am just not sure what I would do all day long. Besides, I need about 5 years of full time work to reach my SWR saving number.

I am close to getting a job offer so I have two very good options to choose from :

1) Take a mini retirement (about 9 months) paid off by severance and try to get a taste of post-fire life. My daughter goes to school so I will not be going off on a vacation till June. It will force me to be creative with my time. Then take summer off and travel before finding another job in September.

2) Take up another job right away. Save 100% of severance and reach savings goal a full year early. However, I am not convinced I will quit when I reach the number anyway.

I am utterly confused on how to evaluate these options. Any comments are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mini-retirement or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 03:28:12 PM »
As in all things, I would suggest there's at least a third option - a middle-ground path - if not more.  Your FI savings has put YOU in charge of your future, and YOU can choose what you want to do next.  I usually recommend people seek out the things that Bring Them The Most Happiness.  That could be something like travel, DIY home improvement projects, volunteering at the local animal shelter, or as a parent volunteer at their daughter's school, or reading to kids at the local library or Children's Hospital.   WHATEVER that is, you'd not likely to discover that while working 40+ hours a week at a wage earning job.

Find that 'something', and focus some time and energy on nourishing that pursuit.  Participate in whatever it is... travel, volunteering, pet sitting... whatever.  Once you've started, you might then go back, start a new job, and spend one-night-a-week or so focused on the thing that brings you HAPPINESS.

I found myself 'between gigs' for four (4) months last spring, and spent at least half the time pursuing volunteer opportunities helping out a child heart patient, and later assisting my local high-school band by driving their equipment truck cross-country so they could appear in a DC Memorial Day parade.  While I was away, I always had wifi access, and was able to keep track of my job search progress, and actively put it ON HOLD.  I worked on things that were important TO ME, and allowed me to BE OF USE to other people.  That's what brought me the most Happiness last year.  Saving, spending less, and generating more income (rentals, etc) can receive too much focus in the world of 'Being Mustachian'.  We should keep in mind that frugality, saving, and Financial Independence Through Badassity is a means to an end - the end being living a happier life without having to worry about being a wage slave. 

So my option 3 would be:
3) Take some time off - a 'micro-retirement' (between 4 weeks, and 4 months) to get a taste of the post-fire life.  Once you have your post-FI bearings, keep that mind-set when you return to work:  realize your time is your own; if you want to take time off to travel this summer, just do it - the 'work' will still be there when you return. 

Start a Journal here, or a blog, and write about what you discover about YOUR FI.
In any case, all the best, and keep us informed. 

MFB

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Re: Mini-retirement or not?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 03:43:17 PM »
It depends on the seasonality of your field and your employability. I would not be employable again if I turned down offers to find myself for 9 months. But my fields hiring season is in the summer with most jobs starting the federal new year. When I was laid off in January of 2010 I went ahead and spent 3 months in NZ/ Australia because I knew no one would be hiring for awhile. If your goal is FIRE in 5 years I would go back to work ASAP.