Author Topic: Mild Credit Card Churning, Paying rent?  (Read 4078 times)

fizzgig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mild Credit Card Churning, Paying rent?
« on: June 05, 2017, 12:25:08 PM »
The only way I could spend the required 4-5K in 3 months a few times a year to earn the bonus points is by paying my rent. Any suggestions? I looked at a few check-paying services by they want like 50 bucks per check. Are there any prepaid debit cards I can buy with a credit card? That would work. I've only seen either prepaid cards you can't buy with credit cards, or cards that you can buy in increments of 100 or 500, not a specific amount. Any other options for rent paying that I'm missing?

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mild Credit Card Churning, Paying rent?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 12:31:05 PM »
You can use Plastiq to pay your rent. They charge something like 2.5% though.

I used giftcardmall.com to buy $500 prepaid visa gift cards and turned them into money orders at Walmart to help meet a couple minimum spends.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 01:34:49 PM »
Also consider getting some low-spend cards.  Not everything requires 4-5K in 3 months.  A couple of examples that spring to mind:

Southwest 60,000 points for a 2K spend in 3 months.
Aviator Red AA card.  50,000 points after your first spend
IHG often has bonus of 60,000 to 80,000 points for 1K spend in 3 months

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 07:53:08 PM »
+1 to using Plastiq.  If you hit sign up bonuses you'll get way more than 2.5% back on your spending.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 09:11:15 PM »

I used giftcardmall.com to buy $500 prepaid visa gift cards and turned them into money orders at Walmart to help meet a couple minimum spends.
How do you spend ALL of the gift cards?  I always end up with a dollar and change that I can't figure out how to spend.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 09:36:29 PM »

How do you spend ALL of the gift cards?  I always end up with a dollar and change that I can't figure out how to spend.
Amazon. You can buy yourself a gift card in any amount - even weird leftover amounts like $1.27.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 09:00:22 AM »

We used the entire gift card to buy a money order that we then deposited into our checking account. Doing this in high volumes can cause red flags, but I think we have done it twice a couple months apart.

fizzgig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 08:10:24 AM »
You're saying that you can buy a prepaid debit card in any amount on Amazon? That's exactly what I would need. What card do you buy? Thanks.

ZMonet

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 11:26:39 AM »
You can buy an Amazon gift card in any amount, not a prepaid debit card.  My family spends so much at Amazon, I consider it almost as good as cash.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 01:50:12 PM »
You're saying that you can buy a prepaid debit card in any amount on Amazon? That's exactly what I would need. What card do you buy? Thanks.

No, you buy an Amazon gift card, for email delivery, where you select the amount of the gift.  Email it to yourself as the gift recipient, then add the amount to your Amazon account.  It stays on your account as a credit, and appears on future purchases at the checkout screen.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 02:01:33 PM »
I just buy grocery store gift cards, to feed my large family, and then spend them down over the next few months.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!